5.0 out of 5 stars Rule Britannia, Marmalade and Jam......
Quite simply the finest comedy drama of the past quarter century. The first season in particular is genius, from the same people that bought the 70's barnstormer "Porridge".

Published on 21 Dec. 2009 by I''m Ron Burgundy?

1.0 out of 5 stars Check your product
Absolutely no comment on the actual show itself which is of course superb, only on the dvd itself.
I recieved mine as a Christmas gift and never actually got around to watching it until recently when I discovered my box had 6 instead of 8 of the dvds. Obviously far too late to return the product but not too late to warn you guys to check your box carefully when you...
Published on 4 May 2009 by Orpheus73

5.0 out of 5 stars Rule Britannia, Marmalade and Jam......, 21 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)

I first watched Series 2 as it aired on ITV; I would have been about 12, and just thought that it was spot on (I'm sure some of the adult jokes I didn't quite get but the heart and soul and comedy that went on I certainly did get!). I loved the series. Advertised as being in Spain, the first two thirds of the season actually float around England. The Derbyshire part of the show being comedy heaven, using the difference in class for most of the humour. Spain was funny too, but you could feel that it was chopped and changed reflecting the sad death of Gary Holton.(looking back I always loved the Oz character as he was the most in your face, maybe even caricatured, but looking back now Wayne (Winston) Norris was given many a moment of pure comedy by Mr's. Clement/LeFrenais/Hay.

However, I then went back and watched Series 1 and what can I say, if Series 2 was 9/10 then Series 1 was 15/10.
The sory does not flow in the same way as Series 2 and the 13 episodes are quite separate from each other (aside from maybe the last couple). The togetherness of the boys is at times side splitting and at other times tearful. The show starts with the 3 Geordies being the main characters and larger (or LAGER) than life Oz (played quite easily by Jimmy Nail) steals most scenes that he is in. However, for me I love the chemistry between Super Cool playboy Wayne and Radish Barry Taylor. Two polar opposites, but you see somewhere there that both have respect for the other and would not mind being slightly more like the other. BTW, the single best episode has to be "Private Lives" featuring these two. (Barry chatting up two frauleins outside a cafe is comedy gold!)

Perfect capture of life in the 80's; the lads affected in a bad way by Thatcher's Britain, whilst the Arthur "Tiger" Pringle's and Ali Fraziers reaped the benefits of 80's Britain.

GREAT, GREAT show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 25 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If you've never watched Auf Wiedershen Pet where have you been. I wasn't allowed to watch the first series as a kid as it was on too late but having caught up with it as repeats I became a fan. Seeing the box set of 8 DVDs for series 1 and 2 and at such a low price I just couldn't resist. I had to return this twice though as at least one of the DVDs in each set didn't play properly (look at each DVD and if you can see a discolured patch on the playing side when you rotate the disc in to catch the light it may be defective, so play this one first) though for the price I paid , I suppose the odd defect will happen, it was third time lucky as every DVD plays correctly now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dicko thinks!, 4 Feb. 2009
D. F. J. Dixon (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
After watching this on television I knew that I would purchase anything "The Lads" made. After I purchased the first two series I kept a eye out for any more of the follow up series. It seem to take along time to be released but released they were. I now own all the series and am still watching them. COULD NOT BUY BETTER

5.0 out of 5 stars This is living all right, 19 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
With this series recently being shown on tv I finally got bored with all the adverts and bought series 1 & 2. I've not regretted it. The versions they now show on tv have been edited and they appear to show a very poor quality copy. Seeing them as intended in a high quality transfer is a delight.

Fans can argue which is the best run and for me it's marginally the second. Series one is very much 13 episodes with little in the way of an overall storyline whereas the second series has a central story. The humour is as funny today as it ever was, the acting by the main characters is perfectly pitched (even if some of the bit parts are played by people who perhaps should never work again, although this is compensated for by other actors appearing you'll recognize from other shows), and the stories, even if a little obvious, work well.

So, treat yourself. All 26 episodes in one package is superb value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series ever!!!, 27 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I am the biggest fan of auf wiedersehen pet. I recomend this series to anyone it's fab. Well worth your money. :D I bought my series box and ive watched them all thousands of times and i just can't get enough of it (:

5.0 out of 5 stars Neatly compact set of DVD's, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
It's neat how they managed to fit all 8 disks in one box, it's also great not having to skip the adverts. The extras on the DVD are an eye opener too, like the building site set was not in Germany. The picture quality isn't the best, but there again what do you want for less than £20. Overall, very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 6 April 2009
James Hogarth (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought series 1 and 2 a fortnight ago and I have watched it twice already ( that's over 40 hours worth ) Can't recommend this enough . Great writing and brilliant acting . Everytime Jimmy Nail speaks I laugh . Timothy Spall is brilliant too with a great supporting cast .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to get the 'Original' Series, 22 April 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Gives you just what it says in the description - the first two (and in my opinion, the best two) Auf Wiedersehen Pet series - Germany and then the UK and trip to Spain.

A must have for any fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Time of Buying..., 19 May 2013
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I got the VHS releases of Auf Pet back in the 90s and wore them out.

I got the DVD's in the 2000s and now they're worn out.

So, in 2013 I'm buying them all over again.

Yes, this series is THAT good. Should be in every household in Europe at least! Simply the best TV programme ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Television gold, 13 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Once in a while a true gem is produced. I bought all subsequent series as the quality of writing and acting cannot be faulted. The only sadness is that this could really be the end. The viewer feels part of the 'family' and experiences all the lows and highs. Seeing the apparent change in the characters when reunited is soon exposed as they quickly revert to type when subject to stress. You grow to love all the characters - perhaps non more so than Oz. This non PC, beligerent and bigotted oaf comes through invariably when it matters most - his affection for Barry is most endearing. I cannot recommend all the series highly enough - if you are old enough to remember the original, then don't hesitate to treat yourself to this. If unfamiliar - you won't regret the purchase. It will make you laugh and cry in equal measure. I only hope there can be more.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] by Baz Taylor (DVD - 2008)