4.0 out of 5 stars Faithful to Catherine Cookson
Published on 24 Nov. 2008 by AC of Norwich

3.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Cookson set
Published on 21 May 2008 by Derek

4.0 out of 5 stars Faithful to Catherine Cookson, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Catherine Cookson Collection: 23 Feature Length Adaptations [24 DVDs] (DVD)
This is a very good value Catherine Cookson box set. All the stories are superbly produced, and the casting is spot on. The sheer and compelling drama of each Catherine Cookson story is faithfully produced and will have you glued to the screen all evening ( some of them 3 hours ). The only critical note is the sound track. If you haven't got a good speaker system you could struggle to hear all the dialogue. My TV system has extra speakers, plus tone control,but it only just coped. Otherwise sit back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent box set., 11 Jan. 2008
Blue hunter (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Here you have some brilliant film versions of some great books.Catherine Cookson was a fine writer and these movies really do shine as they should.This box set contains so many that you be watching them for month's.The acting is very good in all of the films and there are some well known stars in them.Overall a fantastic box set and a brilliant present for someone as well.Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent escapism, 24 April 2008
I was given this boxset as a gift from my mother. I've never much been into costume drama/romance type of films so wasn't expecting to enjoy these films much. I always associated Catherine Cookson with books that old ladies read (I'm a mother in my 30s).

The first one I watched (The Dwelling Place) had me totally absorbed, I just had to watch it till the end. After that, I had to move on to another film then another. I just love everything about these films, the acting, the stories, the costumes and the settings to name a few.

I havn't watched every one of the films yet, but the ones I have watched I have found to be thoroughly enjoyable. They make me feel like I am really in another era watching the way people of the upper and lower classes lived, worked and played.

The films are all quite long (over 2 hours) so it's probably best to watch them when you have that sort of time to yourself as if you're like me you may get totally absorbed and forget other things you need doing in that time.

I can't imagine any woman not enjoying these films although we're all different so I can't speak for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent except for Mallens, 1 May 2009
Absolutely loved this collection - I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the Mallen streak which is really poor and lets the set down. The other DVD's are too good to let the Mallen mishap stop you from buying ...its still good value and worth every penny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Cookson set, 21 May 2008
My wife and I have enjoyed these DVDs for their general quality of story-telling and acting, despite the 4:3 format limitations, but the technical quality of some of them is atrocious - the older the copyright date quoted, the worse the transfer from whatever original ITV broadcast format to DVD. This is most marked in the set of 4 "Mallen Streak" stories copyrighted 1979/80 by Granada. No matter how I try to use today's technology to improve them, these are very grainy and dark. If anyone is concerned about such matters, beware!! Otherwise, just enjoy the stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Issues, 7 Feb. 2009
Overall good but some of the quality issues with early films. If you have an decent TV you will notice 1960s and 70s productions could do with a remake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 16 Feb. 2009
J. A. Keightley (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this collection for my wife at Christmas who has read all the books. She thinks it's first rate and I must admit i have watched some of them too. Very well made productions

2.0 out of 5 stars Great show poor quality DVD, 10 Oct. 2011
My review is mixed,there is no doubt that the story and acting quality were outstanding and were enjoyable........EXCEPT the videos were obviously very bad VHS to DVD conversions.
I bought two sets one for my wife and one for my sister in law and both sets had the same poor quality.
I find this very disappointing,having bought many dvd's form amazon but never before have we seen such bad reproductions.
Inspite of this my wife enjoyed the videos...................Personally I would not recommend purchasing this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Cookson Collection, 20 Feb. 2010
L. Maine - See all my reviews
Ordered this collection for my mums birthday. When it arrived it had been tampered with in transit. With not many days left until mums big day I went through the returns transition with Amazon and 2 days after registering the return I received a replacement box set. The whole transaction was effortless and I could not fault anything. The service I have received from Amazon was absolutely fantastic. The dvds my mum loves and will treasure. Happy 71st birthday mum and thankyou Amazon for your excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars CATHERINE COOKSON COLLECTION, 22 July 2009
Mrs. D. P. Beckett (UK) - See all my reviews
THIS IS A GREAT BOXED SET OF DVD'S AND I MUST SAY GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY.