Format: DVD|Change

on 19 July 2012
I am just on the 4th episode (Sharpe's Enemy) after receiving this set 2 days ago and I have to say that I am very impressed so far. A minor niggle is that in typical ITV fashion, the outer box is closed so just like Lewis, Auf Wiedersehen Pet etc, it can be a pain trying to get access to the three standard blu-ray boxes without creasing the flaps. Each blu-ray contains 2 movies totaling 7 discs in all.

Video Quality

Anyone used to watching Sharpe in the muddied, slightly blurry previous editions are in for a real treat. The daylight footage is superb and really makes you think you are watching these episodes for the first time. The opening scene on Sharpe's Rifles for example, is so clear, the cannon in the foreground almost looks 3D. The night shots however, are a hit and a miss becoming very grainy in places with some reviewers putting it down to the 16 mm film stock. In my humble opinion, some of the night scenes in Rifles look more like digital noise than film grain. You do get used to it though and the good far outweighs the bad.

The video has been slightly cropped for 16:9, but before anyone gets out their pram, this is not Ben Hur so you are not sacrificing very much and it really adds to the fresh look in general.

Audio Quality

Considering the source, the 5.1 upgraded sound is a real plus giving great dimension to the battles in particular. Purists can opt for the original 2.0 though.

Extras

Pretty poor really. There is a photo gallery, which is pointless as it's mostly black and white photos lifted from each episode. You can do a better job by just pausing when watching the show. There are some historical facts pertaining to each episode and 2 seen to death documentaries, Sharpe The Legend and Sharpe's Shooting.

As mentioned by previous reviewers, this is a region B locked set so international buyers must make sure their players are region free. Sharpe can be purchased in the US at an insane price of around $250 minus the 5.1 (2.0 lossless added instead), but it comes in a nice wooden ammo case, contains a map and nifty little paper knife that looks like a sword.
on 20 February 2014
A bit of buckleswashing fun to watch on a rainy day. I never watched the series when it came out on TV, but recently caught a few bits of a couple of episodes - enough to think that I might like to catch up on them. It was great to be able to watch them back to back and on the whole I enjoyed them sufficiently that I've now got withdrawal symptoms: the usual problem with watching box sets! Only 4 stars though as in places either poor editing or scriptwriting let it down and there are a number of loose ends left swinging in the wind. 'Sharpe the Legend' is also described as an episode, when in fact it is just a reprise of the earlier episodes and to be honest is a waste of space. If you watch it at the end it's not as much fun as watching an entire episode, while if you watch it at the beginning it is a terrible spoiler - so what is the point of it?
Sharpe's Waterloo was also disappointing - the weakest episode of the lot - disjointed, making no real sense. And I haven't read the books so have no idea whether Harris and Hagman die in it, but I was cross at them being bumped off in the TV version!
on 9 November 2010
This is the upgrade I was waiting for. Extras are so light as to be practically nonexistent (so one star deducted), but the shows are the thing. And they're beautiful on a large screen. The old DVD sets were not enhanced for 16x9 sets, and the transfers weren't that great. The new Blu-ray package definitely sets matters straight. Video is now quite clean and sound is more involving with all episodes mixed for 5.1.

Price is more than reasonable for all these shows in one collection (not counting the later series of TV movies set in India). American buyers need to be aware that the discs *are* locked to region "B", so they will need a region-switchable Blu-ray player.
2323 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2012
I live in Brazil, so this TV series never arrived here in cable TV. So I began reading Bernard Cornwell and stumbled across a small book called Sharpe's Tiger and fell in love with this charming rogue. I bought all the books of the series and read one after the other almost without interruption. When I discovered that there was a TV series about this character I began searching in the USA Amazon but the DVDs were too expensive and they did not have subtitles or closed-captions. Well, I read english well and I understand spoken english fairly well (the Poirot and the Miss Marple series were no problem for me, even without subtitles) but the characters in Sharpe speak many languages (spanish, french, english, and many characters speak english with an accent -the irish mr.Harper,for example). So I did not buy the American collection with regret. Last year reading a review in the american Amazon I discovered that the UK collection had english subtitles and the only problem was that it was a region 2 DVD. I already had an ALL regions DVD and so I checked the prices in the Amazon UK. I was astonished to discover that the price was far lower than the americans DVDs and the collection, with four films in each DVD was compact but easy to handle. The DVDs arrived here in Brazil in less than a fortnight and I began watching the films and fell in love all over again with Sean Bean and Daragh O`Malley as Sharpe and Harper. The photography was splendid and the sound very good. They had subtitles even for the french and spanish dialogues (I understand spanish and french very well but I think that was better to transcribe the dialogues in the subtitles). In separate I bought the 2 last films of the Sharpe's series and I am enjoying very much the collection. Of course the scripts are not so faithful to the books but they are very good. And Sean Bean is very charming and gallant, as Sharpe is described, and fights very well (I have heard that he did not have a double for the sword fights because he is a very accomplished fencer). He became for me the Sharpe of the books and I am very happy with my collection. I reccomend for everyone. I only regret the lack of subtitles in other languages (french, spanish, portuguese, and others) because this is a region 2 DVD (Europe) and I think that many foreigners in Europe also appreciate Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe. It could be corrected in a next edition of this collection.
1809-1815. During the Napoleonic Wars, the British owe much to Yorkshire's rifleman Richard Sharpe, he rising rapidly through the ranks after saving Wellington's life.

Fourteen feature-length episodes here chart his progress right up to Waterloo, where (as ever) he helps turn the tide to secure victory. En route he has sustained many injuries, turned several female hearts, earned the loyalty of fellow soldiers and incurred the wrath of certain senior aristocratic officers - their blustery inadequacies and scheming exposed for all to see.

Sean Bean totally convinces as Sharpe, well partnered by Daragh O'Malley as Patrick ("God bless the Irish!") Harper - initially a bitter enemy, but very soon best mate.

All in the casts seem to relish their roles, with some gloriously colourful performances. Pete Postlethwaite genuinely scares as crazed Obadiah. Michael Cochrane provokes hisses as posturing, incompetent Sir Henry Simmerson. Feodor Atkine makes impact as creepy spy Ducos (repeatedly in need of new spectacles). Julian Fellowes clearly enjoys himself as the fat Prince Regent, a right royal twit.

Much money has clearly been poured into the production (all of it well spent), spectacular battle scenes a major feature. Army life is vividly portrayed, Sharpe adept at raising morale. There is no pulling back from the horrors of war, some of the deaths shown extremely moving.

This excellent 8 disc box contains all the 1993-7 episodes. (The two made in 2006 & 2008 may be found elsewhere.) Disc 8 contains the feature-length SHARPE THE LEGEND, one of his original team recalling exploits that made him a hero. A 30 minute bonus interestingly tells how Ep.11 was filmed. (Lots of anecdotes and interviews. Great praise for the Russian stuntmen, totally fearless as they forever hurled themselves all over the place.)

With 25 hours of viewing the box set proves a bargain indeed, the last seven evenings exhilaratingly enhanced.
on 16 December 2010
I was very worried that this Blu Ray set would not be up to much - especially as I could find very little online that had been written about it - it appears to have glided in under the radar.

I just want to assure fans of Sharpe and HD content that the picture quality of the set is bloody superb (considering the source material). Daytime outdoor scenes are vibrant and bright and give the series a real high-budget film-like feel it's never had before. The sound is now a clear, crisp DD5.1 mix which thoroughly does the job. Darker scenes really do show up the grain of the film, but this is to be expected with 16mm film stock and, I think, adds character and mood to the piece.

The improvement above and beyond the original DVD set it vast and it is a simple buy-it-now decision for Sharpe and HD fans alike just on the grounds of the now superb picture quality.

No special features - boo, hiss. I would have been happy with a Bean commentary but to no avail. And the two latest instalments are absent [Sharpe's Challenge & Sharpe's Peril] - but are available separately.

Don't particularly like the closed-box packaging of the outer sleeve - but the discs themselves are contained in 3 standard multi Blu Ray boxes.
55 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2010
It was without doubt, the Best thing I ever did, to buy this absolutely Brilliant series. The battle scenes fighting the French,are So authentic. The Characters/actors performances are wonderfully acted out. Intrigue, Action...humour, it's got the Lot! I've never enjoyed viewing anything quite so much as this...and I've watched a lot of series and films on DVD, in my time. Sean Bean is marvellous in his role as Sharpe. My wife loves Sharpe also. Outstanding!!!
on 19 December 2008
Sharpe's Peril/Sharpe's Challenge [2006]

As has already been pointed out this series DOES NOT contain Sharpe's Peril and Sharpe's Challenge which is a shame as all the DVD company appear to have done is re-release the previous boxset

Cornwell has written a series of fantastic books involving Sharpe and they are always well researched include accurate Historical Notes, sadly Sharpe the TV series does not always stay as historically accurate as people who are looking for that type of thing may like.

On the other hand Sharpe is a rip roaring ride, Sean Bean is superb playing the Diamond in the Rough and is well supported by his co-stars. The only disappointing episode out of all of them is Sharpe's Waterloo which attempted to place Sharpe in too many key points of the battle and your left feeling somewhat disappointed for what was a monumental battle (it just doesn't work). If you don't own any of the DVD's then you have 2 choices, Buy this as well as the Challenge/Peril DVD or wait and see if they release a new complete set.
on 1 December 2011
Bought this series because of reading Mark Urban's "History of the 95th Rifles" in the Peninsula War. The episodes were very close to actual events of Wellington's campaign. The characters were really well drawn and the production values matched the high quality script. The acting had just the right level of realism without being over sentimental. The music performed by John Tamms added to historical atmosphere. A very enjoyable watch!!
on 8 December 2010
Well Sharpe itself has been reviewed at length over the years, and there is really not much I can offer that is new regarding this fantastic and iconic drama series, so this review will only compare the new Blu-ray set to the previous DVD release.

So then, my Blu-ray set arrived today and the first thing I did was some paused screen comparisons between my old 1.66:1 (letterboxed in 4:3) ratio DVD's and the new Blu-ray's with a 16:9 full screen ratio as, being a fan of sticking to original ratios, I was concerned how the new widescreen ratio had been achieved. And once again I am completely mystified by the cinematography of Sharpe, and how it has been presented on home video over the years. On some scenes in my comparisons, a portion of top/bottom screen information (mostly bottom) is lost on the Blu-rays, which is what I expected, BUT on some scenes in later episodes there is actually the same and, in a handful of scenes, SLIGHTLY MORE top/bottom screen information on the Blu-rays than on the DVD's. In both cases, obviously, more picture on the sides is gained - ranging from a little (early episodes) to a lot (later episodes). The more top/bottom info in a handful of scenes has me totally perplexed though. Perhaps they were not using all of the image when they originally transferred certain later episodes to DVD? I'm certainly no expert on such matters, and only having a layman's knowledge, it has me perplexed. Apparently production crews in the early 90's were asked to be mindful of protecting the wider frame, by not having crew and equipment in the way, even though they were then shooting mostly for 4:3 broadcast. They did this with future proofing in mind, knowing the advent of widescreen TV was upon us. So perhaps this is why later episodes display the same or even slightly more screen information and the earlier episodes do not. I should note that the scenes I saw with a little more top/bottom picture information, and a lot more side of screen information, were all from the episodes on disc 7. Until I make more comparisons, I don't know how many episodes benefit the most. The earlier episodes are certainly not pokey/cramped though. Well, maybe in a handful of scenes...but not generally. The new wider frame definitely gives the films more of a cinematic quality though. So ultimately, I have to agree with some other people's assessments, that it doesn't look cramped or claustrophobic, like some of us were fearing, and that it has been treated as sympathetically as possible. This I am very pleased about. I have seen 4:3 to 16:9 hack jobs, and this [fortunately] is not one of them. However, if I had been presented with a choice...I think I would have chose to have kept the original ratio for the Blu-ray release. I am a purist in this respect. However, if this is what the-powers-that-be intend to do with a lot of my favourite older TV shows, I guess I must get used to it.

All the grain structure has been left alone, too, which is good. However, in this they had little choice. Had they gone overboard with Digital Noise Reduction, it would have hampered the finer details. And so there is a fair bit more detail to be found. Obviously nothing like the detail improvements we would have got had they used 35mm film - but that was to be expected. However, the extra detail on offer impressed me a lot. In one comparison I made, the Irish intelligence officer, Hogan, was pointing directions out to Sharpe on a map. On the DVD, I could hardly read the larger text on the map, let alone the smaller text, but on the Blu-ray I could see large and small text and every last nuance of the map's details. In another comparison, I saw a scene with an advancing French cavalry in the distance. On the DVD, they had blank and featureless faces. On the Blu-ray, I could see their facial features clearly. There are also no longer any compression artefacts, as was on the DVD's, which is also good. One concern though is with the colour - it is an overall improvement over the DVD's, that is for sure, but it has left some indoor scenes with characters looking quite red/flushed. I think they just upped colour/contrast across the board, instead of doing it on a scene-by-scene basis, and it has brought out the sunburn that some characters must have had that was not as noticeable on the DVD's. After all, they were (mostly) English actors filming in hot countries, so sunburn must have been an issue. Maybe I noticed it more because I was doing side by side comparisons, so it might not bother others in a normal viewing situation, or bother those who do not own the DVD's. This particularly affected the dimmer indoor scenes, as did excessive grain.

So yes, a general visual improvement...definitely. However, the visual side of things is only half the story - sound is also important. Now it is a pity they never went with lossless audio, it has to be said, but my god does the new Dolby Digital 5.1 mix sound better than the old 2.0 track. Skirmish and battle scenes just seem bigger and more epic. Again, this gives the films far more of a cinematic quality. The sound is very well mixed across all the channels...with very decent rear speaker action in all the right places. I was fearing a half-hearted 5.1 mix, but this is not the case.

As regards extras, it is same as it ever was. So we have the 'Sharpe The Legend' episode once more...which is not really an episode at all, but rather a compilation look-back over all Sharpe and Harper's classic series adventures, narrated by Rifleman Cooper from a 19th century pub setting. 'Sharpe's Shooting', the documentary featurette from the DVD set is also still on offer. You also get the fact file info for each episode that was on the DVD sets, detailing what life was like for real soldiers back in the Napoleonic era, as well as the token photo galleries. The pity regarding extras is the fact there is nothing new on offer. In my opinion, Blu-ray should always offer something new over a DVD set. I particularly would have liked some audio commentaries from the lead actors, or at least from a producer or director. Alas, no such luck.

All put together, the visual *and* audio improvements are worth the upgrade for me, and probably will be for you. I do have to knock a star off though, as the box itself is far flimsier than the old DVD set...it is now thin card that will not stand up to normal use, where previously it was hard board. You might be better off storing just the internal DVD cases on your shelf and putting away the box for safe keeping. And I do have to reflect the lack of new extras when knocking off this star. So four stars it is. If I was just reviewing the films themselves, it would easily be five stars. Sharpe is a fantastic series of films - but if you have read this far, you already know that.

I should also add that I never had the dodgy 7th disc issue that others have mentioned. I play my Blu-rays on a PS3, and others have noted that PS3's, along with some standalone models, do not have a problem with the bad discs. I now have to wonder if my disc 7 will be OK should I upgrade to a standalone at a later date. Although I have to note that Amazon removed the Blu-ray sets from sale for a small while, while the issue was investigated (or so I read somewhere), so maybe they have new stock...as I ordered my set when it came back on sale. Hopefully this is an issue that has now been rectified.
1010 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse