Format: DVDChange

on 9 October 2008
I really loved Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging as it is light-hearted and funny, yet realistic with film-y qualities. It is a must see for all teenage girls as it relates to the problems we may have, and is just a fabulous film to relax to. Watch it with an open mind and you'll love it!
I found that as a British "chic-flic" it was much more realistic than the plastic-style ones from America. Nothing is exaggerated any more than the average teenager would and the way Georgia is is very natural.
It involves everything from friendship to family, school to social life, and, of course, boys!
If you want a film which a girl from about 12 to 17 can relate to and enjoy, this is it. Also, if you have read the books it is a fab adaptation, but it does change a lot of the things which happen, so don't expect it to be as good as the books, just different.
Buy this and you (hopefully) won't be disappointed!
on 28 March 2009
Laughter, tears, sadness and loads of fun are mixed together in this surprisingly enjoyable teen coming-of-age flick. Although this film, which details the failings and trials of 14-year-old Georgia Nicholson (adapted from Louise Rennison's hilarious books), seems to be British through and through, it's all the more surprising that this is a completely American funded film. However, British it still seems, and the sunny town of Eastbourne is a delightful setting of Georgia's flawed life. Her Dad has been offered a job in New Zealand, her mum's acting strangely and she has a major crush on "totally fit" (but also high pitch voiced) guitar-player Robbie. Gurinda Chada is fabulous as ever with her skilled direction and perfect at producing a girl comedy which doesn't cause others, who aren't in the film's intended demographic, to run from the theatres with vomit seeping through their fingers.
on 18 January 2009
Georgia Nicolson (Groome) finds her perception of life changes after making a fool of herself at a party. Now she plans to grow up and no sooner does Robbie (Johnson) come to her school, and Georgia instantly falls for him.

After the disappointing adaptation of St Trinians and the decline of British cinema generally over recent years this adaptation appeared to be screened as a mere money making hour and a half entertainment rom-com flick. But thanks to some cheeky youthful performances, a witty script and an underlining message of coming of age, this adaptation of Louise Rennison's best selling novel brings back that feeling of unashamedly British.

In her first leading role Georgia Groome (London to Brighton) carries the film on a charismatic and charming persona that will have the teenage girls laughing their heads off. Her smart timing and in particular her reactions to situations create that comedy feeling that was an essential factor to making the narrative work.

The film undoubtedly starts poorly. When Georgia turns up at a party, it is more than likely she will be an outcast and the fact that she gets embarrassed in front of her enemy and has to change her life is even more so. Nevertheless the comedic approach to the coming of age is likeable and hardly clichéd. There is some background to her motion to change and the way she looks at adulthood as a place of comfort is as likeable as her cat. The changes she goes through are sweet and realistic given today's modern outlook on the world. In this adaptation, we see many stereotypes and a very accurate look at teen language. The `oh my god's' will have anyone laughing. The perception of girl's views on boys is a stand out moment.

The stereotypical representations are usually never right. Either they are extremely over exaggerated, for example in controversial drama Kidulthood or they are unnoticeable passive representations such as in St Trinians. The angle on the characters in this 2008 comedy feels right, not over the top with a good sense of purpose and an underlining message of coming of age.

Though good fun, the plot wavers into cliché at the end and doesn't quite have enough punch to believe the arrival of British comedy is truly back.

Having never read the book, I find myself considering after enjoying the good nature of this film. Critics have said the book is funnier, and considering the amount of laughs spilled during the film, it must be an option.

on 3 February 2009
Angus,Thongs & Perfect snogging!A perfect teenage chick-flick with so much humour and excitement. A brilliant film about an everyday girl(with rather an embarrassing life) that falls in love with the hunk of the school! Such a hilarious film about the ups and downs of adolescense with those cringeworthy events to keep you smiling. Such a great laugh that will have you in stitches! Worth every penny! You could watch this movie billions of times and still find it as funny as ever!
on 8 February 2009
I've not read the books - but absolutely loved this film. As a former teenage girl (I'm now 34!), I could really relate to the characters - but as the parent of daughters I could also relate to Georgia's mum and dad. The funniest thing was that my hasband loved it too!
on 2 December 2010
Personally I found this film truly enchanting! Even though I have seen it around a hundred times it never seems to lose its charm. The four main girls are great and I find that despite the age gap I am able to relate to them very easily, it's almost like a `blast from the past' for me.

They experience the same things that I can only assume almost every teenage girl goes through from first kisses and boyfriends to maintaining a reputation at school and dealing with crazy, embarrassing parents! As much as I find myself cringing throughout the majority of the film this is simply down to the fact that it reminds me completely of myself a few years ago.

The film provides consistent humour and is sure to leave you with some extremely memorable quotes that I often find worm their way into my conversations. Initially, I thought this film would be great for any teenage girl but I know feel it would appeal to women across the spectrum and from experience with my brothers I am certain it would humour many adolescent boys too!
on 16 November 2008
I love all the Louise Rennison books, and couldn't wait for the films to come out, but personnally, the were a slight dissapointment. It was a good laugh, and there were some really great parts, though it was quite predictable. You might be thinking; 'Well, you've read all the books, so it's obvious that you'll most likely know what happens.', but my older sister, who hasn't read any of the books, and has even made fun of me reading them a few times, could tell exactly what was going to happen, and me and her went to see the first showing at our local cinema, so she couldn't have seen it before. I think it was really good, just, as I've said, the books were better, to me anyway! I liked the ending though :D
on 28 February 2011
This is not the greatest film ever.
But it is a gentle,light-hearted story about a self-centred early teenage girl who is discovering boys and the prospect of her cosy life suffering severe disruption as her family may have to move to NZ.
The Director has a sure touch,and the pacing of the story is very good.The actors all do a fine job.
I don't know if this was a box office hit,but I enjoyed the high quality script too,which was adapted from books.Some complain that the film is not like the books.
Well, films usually are not at all like the books that they are based upon.
As a film, this is enjoyable and easy-going. There are no swear-words;nor any smut,drugs,or drinking..... which must be a record for a film about teenagers these days.
Let's have more films like this.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 October 2014
This is my teenage daughter's favourite film. She recorded it ages ago when it was on TV but her naughty brother deleted it much to her annoyance! I purchased this which she was happy about as of course now she can watch all the extras that the DVD copy has.

We always laugh when she watches this as she knows it word for word and says the lines before the actors!! She also loved the book that the film is based on.

I've watched it myself and I do think it's a good film, very amusing!
on 7 February 2009
A good British film. I watched it with my 10 year old sister who enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was funny aswell, definitely worth a watch. Very lighthearted.