5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Dec 2008
B. Nakielski - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I have just received my Amazon parcel with the CD "Looking Back - The Very Best of David Soul" this afternoon and put everything else (i.e. important work) aside to listen to it.

Until now I had only heard an old "Best of" album that a friend had downloaded for me from some dodgy internet site (sorry David, I tried to buy it legally but it wasn't available anywhere!) and some other songs I had heard on YouTube. I had also been able to get hold of an old vinyl record of "Playing to an Audience of one" in a Berlin second hand shop.
So my knowledge of his songs was (and probably still is) quite limited as many songs of "Playing to an Audience of One" were also on the "Best of".

This is why at first I wasn't sure if I should buy this CD, when I saw that it included songs like "Don't give up on us", "It sure brings out the Love in your Eyes" and "Silver Lady".

Ok, these are his biggest hits, and I guess a "Best of David Soul" without them is like Paul McCartney without "Yesterday".
But here are also some songs I didn't know until now. The 30 second samples on Amazon didn't really do much for me. But then I thought, what the hell... call myself a "fan" so I should just go for it.

I am glad I ordered this CD. No, really. I am dead chuffed!
It includes gems like "Jazzman", "I'd be Doggone" or "I drink" which are already my favourites after a first listening, and fantastic songs like "To a Heart that's True" or "Mean old Woman" on which I almost didn't recognize his fantastic voice.

Naturally, there is also The Most Beautiful David Soul Love Song Of All Times: "I wish I was" which blows me of my feet every time I hear it. "Blackbean Soup" still makes me laugh and reminds me that I still have some black beans in the kitchen that need soaking!

Bottom line: an absolutely fantastic "best of" album! Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Talented singer more famous as an actor, 10 Mar 2010
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
David Soul is better known as one half of the TV series Starsky and Hutch, but he was a folk singer back in the sixties. He sometimes performed his songs as the opening act for such groups as the Byrds and the Doors but switched to an acting career and abandoned his singing for a while.

Eventually, he managed to find a record label that gave him the opportunity to record the kind of music that he wanted. Although it might generally be classed as easy listening pop, evidence of David's roots is still there, particularly via covers of Bird on a wire (Leonard Cohen) and Tattler (Ry Cooder).

David's hits were mostly written by Tony Macauley, a British producer-songwriter who scored notable successes in the late sixties and early seventies via big international hits for the Foundations (Baby now that I've found you, Build me up buttercup), Edison lighthouse (Love grows where my Rosemary goes), Long John Baldry (Let the heartaches begin) and others.

Don't give up on us reached the very top of the charts in both Britain and America early in 1977. It was his only significant American hit, but he had four more hits in Britain. Going in with my eyes open reached number two. Silver lady became David's second number one. Let's have a quiet night in was a top ten hit. David's final UK hit, It sure brings out the love in your eyes, peaked at twelve. All those songs are (of course) included on this compilation. As the titles of the songs might suggest, David was primarily a balladeer, but Silver lady was more up-tempo than the others.

If you enjoy the music of Bread, you will surely enjoy David Soul's music.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING BACK : THE VERY BEST OF DAVID SOUL, 17 Oct 2009
Maria J. Moreno Espinosa (MADRID - SPAIN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
WHEN DAVID SOUL BEGAN TO SING I ONLY LISTENED TO HIM BECAUSE OF STARSKY AND HUTCH. BUT I GREW UP AND I REALIZED HE WAS A GREAT SINGER. I LOVE THIS RECORD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I bought this CD really for about 3 of his best known singles, but wow what a tallented guy! He can really do a veriety and all the other tracks are worth putting on the album. A real pleasant surprise as I'm not a big fan (until now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good !, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Having been a great fan of Starsky & Hutch back in the 70's I recently brought their DVD and in a couple of episodes David Soul sings.Decided to buy one of his CD's and after looking at reviews decided on this one.Apart from a couple of songs which is often the case in most CD's I love it and still have it playing in my car now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A variety of Excellent Quality Tracks, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
20 excellent quality tracks. David Soul has an amazing voice, smooth but powerful. He can reach high notes too and these melodic tracks encompass his musical career, something from each of his original 5 albums. I think he himself explained it as a reflection on his life depicting the peaks and troughs throughout. I love the compilation, but as I have all the other albums anyway I got it for David's remake of "Don't Give Up On Us" with Buena Fe.
Must say I loved the original, but I do also love the remake and just wish it were a little longer. His voice is still lovely. Some great David Soul classics on this CD. A must buy for anyone wanting to hear some pure musical art.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Soul CD, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Great sound, great songs. There are songs on here that I do not have on my old LP'S that I really like too.

5.0 out of 5 stars hutch, 19 April 2009
B. Weight "baw" (kent england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking Back - The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
it was lovely to hear all the songs again i have really enjoyed listening to this cd

Looking Back - The Very Best Of
Looking Back - The Very Best Of by David Soul (Audio CD - 2008)
Click for more info