Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 February 2009
I stumbled across Damien Jurado after hearing one of his songs on a late night radio station on a long drive home. I've listened to this album a lot since then and think it's superb. It's a nice mix of upbeat songs and some hauntingly wonderful down tempo songs. Go First is my favourite on the album, it's one of those that you could stick on repeat and annoy every other member of household with by playing it constantly for days! Anyway, if you like Iron and Wine, Calexico, Ray Lamontagne, and Remy Zero type stuff then this is certainly for you.
on 15 April 2009
Jurado has written some excellent songs, but with his previous albums I tend to like a couple of songs and feel indifferent to the rest. I was pleasantly surprised to find 13 strong tracks with no fillers, the songs "sheets" and "Gillian was a horse" are my favourates.I would recommend this CD to anyone who appreciates a good singer/songwriter.
on 27 February 2009
A fantastic album that gets better on repeated listens. Some of the harmonies with Jenna Conrad are exquisite. Stand-out tracks for me are "Best Dress" (great harmonies and thumping beat), "Caskets" (would have been ideal first track on the album for me) and "Coats of Ice".
on 14 July 2009
Awesome, totally impressed. I knew nothing about him other than listening to his track - Sheets found on Youtube, so I took the gamble and after a few listens your hooked. Also Best Dress and Go First grab me totally with a bit of heavier guitar sounds involved.

You should know that the album is something thats fairly chilled and laid back, great if your relaxing or chilling with your other half.

Please please chance it! Hope this helps.
on 28 April 2010
Great album. Thoroughly enjoyable, great tracks from start to finnish. Its an awesome mix of folk, alt county and americana.
on 13 November 2008
I only tend to write a review when disappointed and in this case I most certainly am. I consider myself a Durado fan, but after stunning favourites "now I'm in your shadow" and " ghost of david" and a couple of excellent EP's, this doesn't come through for me. I have read the other two reviews, I have actually found the opposite applying; by the third play I had really gone off what initially I had hoped would grow on me. I like my Jurado as he recently payed at the Union Chapel in Islington (great venue, by the way), bleak, desolate, bare, exposed, yearning, like a musical version of some of the short stories fiction writer, Raymond Carver wrote, that some reviewers have rightly compared him too.
The songs on this album are not necessarily bad, but like a couple of his other albums, a bit more fuller in sound, too much instrumentation accompanying his songs, not the less is more that makes him great in my opinion. These songs just left me cold and uninterested in what Jurado may be saying, as the atmosphere I associate with the best sounds of Jurado is missing. Pity
on 7 January 2015