on 13 July 2009
If you are looking to actually re-live the Wimbledon Final of 2008, this BBC DVD production does the trick perfectly.

Aside from the coverage during rain delays of course, this is the Federer v Nadal epic exactly as it went out live and on air at the time. For anyone who prefers extra build up to be included, I should warn that this DVD is pretty limited in that department, with only a rather corny and reading of Rudyard Kipling's 'If' to create suspense. However, with the quality of the tennis played, the intensity of the competition, and the excitement of the twists and turns this match provided, you will soon be captivated, completely forgetting that you are watching a recording, rather than the live event.

A monumental contest between two of the sports' all time greats, this is an essential for any tennis fan's collection.
on 22 February 2011
I am a huge Rafael Nadal fan & I recorded this match at the time on video but bought the DVD to watch it again in better quality.

At the time I had a DVD player - how I wished I'd had the DVD recorder I have now & I could have recorded it with the on court interviews, like other reviewers said, the fact they were cut out is a huge disappointment, however it's a classic match, very emotional for Rafa fans as we were thrilled he finally won Wimbledon after losing in the final the previous 2 years, so all in all I'm glad I bought it.

Rafa fans will also love The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse) as it has a long chapter called "A Fan's Feelings" of 80 poems about Rafa, his career, his personality & his good looks (& the rest of the book is brilliant too) No Rafa fan should be without it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2011
This is a great little treat for any tennis fan. A real fan will know that this was the greatest Men's final ever played, even the greats from the 70s and 80s say this is the best match ever. It is the last time that Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal played each other at Wimbledon and it was an epic match. It lasted over five hours and was rain delayed a couple of times. In fact this was the last match that could have this sort of rain delay as the roof is now on Centre Court. The only thing missing is perhaps some post-match interviews or round up. There isn't really anything like that here. I know that some people have said they wished they could have seen the BBC footage from the rain delays, but I don't think that this would gain anything for having it. All in all a good buy, as long as you are a total tennis nut/fan of Rafa or Roger (for me Rafa).
on 16 July 2011
This is really special. This match has to be the greatest. I haven't seen it since the original fraught TV viewing which was so tense that I didn't really take in what was going on. It was a real treat to watch, and, despite knowing the score and the result, still pretty tense! It is a wonderful match to enjoy because both players played incredibly well throughout and both had to show their mental strength in coming back from setbacks - Rafa from losing the championship points and Roger from two sets down. The rain delays and the past history (the two previous finals) ratchet up the excitement ... A must for all of us Rafa fans showing how he developed from King of Clay to World no 1 (incidentally, he's a much more complete player now - the serve particularly is so improved! I hadn't realised till I saw this match again) and it also shows Fed at his absolute best.

As other reviewers have said, the presentation is disappointing. I'd have liked more build-up, especially the players' routes to the final. Losing most of the followup and especially the post-match interviews is even more of a shame.

But I have to give this DVD five stars despite these quibbles because the match itself is such a brilliant experience! I can't wait to watch it again.
on 22 February 2011
I am Rafael Nadal's biggest fan & this DVD has been played a million times, I love it!

It's a classic, exciting, 5 set match and I was as exhausted as the players must have been when it finished because when you're watching as a fan and you really, really want your man to win, you go through all the highs and lows with them and feel worn out by the end (but very very happy!)

Sorry for Federer fans, you won't enjoy it as much as I did because he lost but he has won it loads of times so I'm really happy for Rafa that his dream came true.

Other Rafa fans will love this book The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse) it's got 80 poems in about how us fans feel about him, the highs the lows and his lovely humble personality and his sexy looks, and the other poems about love are good too.
on 10 June 2015
I drop this one star as I was gutted by the loss to Federer in what was in the later part of the final set, simply disgracefully atrocious bad light. Federer complained he could not see the ball, and no surprise, it was difficult for viewers too. But it was absolutely clear that the referee had no intention of stopping the match as it must have been he had no intention of opening the courts the next day "just to finish this" with all the huge expense involved. It was made very clear nothing was going to stop this match finishing even if even it was pitch dark.... which it nearly was by the actual end.

So no-one will ever know what might have happened in fair conditions, and Federer fans would then not feel he had been cheated of at least the chance to win.

As for the play, up to when bad light should have stopped play, it was one of the great thrillers. Some call it the greatest match of all time. I don't - I consider first you cannot rate a match the greatest when the last part of it was marred by extreme bad light. Up to the later part of the final set, indeed it is one of the greatest I've seen. Of course it's personal taste and once journalists have said "The greatest of all time" the label can stick even if some even better matches come along later. . I myself would pick the superb Wimbledon 2007 final, the utterly enthralling 2009 Wimbledon final with especially the long struggle in the final set, the delightful and thrilling 1972 final (Smith vs Nastase) as the best matches I've ever seen at Wimbledon, and the Olympics 2012 semi-final Federer vs Del Potro as my top greatest matches. And there was the extremely dramatic and famous semi-final at Wimbledon between much loved home favourite Drobny and one of the fine American players that went on and on and on - and in those days, no advert breaks, no seats, just get on with the play.

As I am a Wimledon fan and grass enthusiast, I am inclined to rate grass matches the highest most of the time, but no doubt there are a few matches on other surfaces that should qualify for very great. I don't think any one match can ever be called The greatest of all time.
on 10 August 2008
Probably the greatest Wimbledon Final ever, maybe the greatest match ever. Relive this titanic contest in which Rafa, soon after winning the French and at the peak of his form, eventually prevailed after 5 dramatic and gruellingly long sets to win his first Wimbledon Men's title and virtually ensure that he would soon overtake Rog to become the World's number one ranked player.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2011
The 2008 Mens Final Nadal - v - Federer was the best tennis final ever. I missed seeing it in 2008 and finally found it on Amazon. The standard is extremely high from the very start of the match. It is just a wonderful game of tennis played to the highest level and shows the players' skills and sportsmanship. I will watch it again and again.
on 29 December 2009
If you watched the original match then this video will bring it all back. If you didn't you are in for a real treat watching two greats at their best - no tantrums, temper, abuse or spitting on court - just pure brilliant tennis.
on 23 July 2011
Fantastic final which I could watch over and over again, almost surpassing (but not quite) the Borg-McEnroe final. Both players at their peak.