5.0 out of 5 stars good piece of kit
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by johnny cabbage head

3.0 out of 5 stars Design is a bit iffy
Published 19 months ago by Liis

5.0 out of 5 stars good piece of kit, 14 Feb 2011
I bought this ice crew top, to go walking in and also to wear when I train outdoors in the winter time, I swing kettlebells out doors, and between sets you can cool down a bit too much in the winter months , so I tried the Ice crew, I wore it for a couple of days walking the dogs, then I trained for an hour wearing it and ran in it to see if it started to smell prior to washing it.
I was amazed that It was still odour free after all that working out, whereas the ordinary non merino wool Lifas tend to stink after a few hours wearing them.
I am going Skiing soon and will be wearing it then too, and I am pretty convinced this will be a good baselayer, we always wore the original polyester Lifas on winter warefare excercises when I was with the Royal Marines, though this newer merino wool mix is even better.
Good Kit !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite revelation, 11 Feb 2011
W. G. Guthrie "Arlowood" (Loughborough, LEICS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Have been cycling for many years and only recently came across the concept of a base layer jersey for primarily winter riding. Typically I had just used a T-shirt or similar with a wool jumper and long sleeved cycling top to ward off the chills on winter rides.

However that combination inevitably left me with that uncomfortable clammy feel of the sweaty T-shirt towards the end of the ride. Also if I had to spend any time travelling or otherwise before accessing changing facilities it was even more noticable.

Ordered this base layer and WOW what a difference. The claims are well justified in that the inner layer does act very effectively in "wicking away" any sweat so that you never get that cold clammy sensation. The outer layer also works well as one of the layers to ward off the cold on winter rides.

The item also has a quality feel to it and fits very well.

Am definitely going to buy another one in a different colour probably to give a change option.

It's good enough to be worn on its own when your off the bike.

A great buy all round

5.0 out of 5 stars performs very well, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Warm Ice Crew (Sports Apparel)
I do alot of outdoor exercise in a mountain rescue team, polyester base layers go straight in to the wash after a job as I do sweat excessively. I wear pure merino for longer hiking expeditions for smell reasons although they do not wick as well as say paramo base layers which is the only thing that manages my excessive sweat. Then I bought one of these, the next day was a sweaty strenuous 10 hour search. this base layer managed my sweat effectively, kept me reasonably warm, it was a chilly april day, and the day after I could still wear it, great stuff. I will be buying more.

5.0 out of 5 stars works as claimed, 19 Feb 2012
We went to St.Anton for snowboarding and we had no fancy clothing. We had up to -25 degrees on the piste. I bought this and HHpants for me and my partner. The 57% Merino content works. This was the 1st layer, 2nd was a thin lambswool jumper, 3rd was a woolen jumper and 4th a Winterjacket. Absolute sufficient and sometimes when the sun came out even to hot. Perfect drying over night. Some say it's itchy due to the Merino, not so for me and my partner. No 500.- fancy gore-tex thingy needed. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Design is a bit iffy, 18 Mar 2013
I have 2 long sleeved HH Warm shirts myself (very pleased with those) and decided to treat my dad (his shoulders and elbows are very cold-sensitive). So I just assumed those white stripes are painted on (just like my own shirts). I was wrong - these striped details are of a flimsy and thin material, making my purchase totally pointless. Helly Hansen's designers have messed up this one... The places that needed to be covered with that nice warm merino wool are covered by a thin synthetic strip of fabric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cycling base-layer, 1 May 2010
Pete in Wiltshire (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I wore this top as a base layer, all winter long when cycling to and from work.

It wicked nicely, was very lightweight, but the biggest plus was having something that insulated my lower arms. Things have become so hi-tec now with clothing materials and this top is a brilliant example.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable - but not for running, 4 Mar 2012
Having read all of the recommendations I took the plunge - this is a very comfortable top, good for training outdoors (and almost certainly for skiing), but it is not good for running any distance - nipple chafing. Also, the arms are very long (so good for those of you with extra long arms) and the elastic at the wrist doesn't look or feel particularly robust so if you like to roll your sleeves up this is to be avoided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Baselayer for running in cold days, 14 Feb 2012
Very lightweight and warm baselayer for running in cold days. Great fit. The combination of merino wool and synthethic fibres works great. Moisture escapes to the outter side of the garment while our body heat is retained to keep us warm.

Lunch time running at 3ºC with a light windproof jacket (chilly wind always blowinng at the seashore) and no more layers needed. I din't have the opportunity to test it below 0ºC yet, but i think it won't disspoint me.

And you can always use a second layer on if your still feel freezy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for snowboarding, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Warm Ice Crew (Sports Apparel)
Bought this a base layer for snowboarding - I was looking for a nice balance of quality and function versus price and this was just the job.

Worn in a snowdome at about -6 degrees with only a jumper on top it still keeps you nice and warm enough to work up a sweat!

The merino wool works nicely with the under layer, only thing is what others have said about the cuffs feeling tight, although they are now better after a few uses and washes.

Would recommend and buy again for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it..., 11 Feb 2011
This top is brill. I bought it as a new base layer for skiing and cannot fault its performance.We had below seasonal temps. and it does all it claims. I have bought another one for good measure.

Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Warm Ice Crew