4.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles and Version

1.0 out of 5 stars good films spoilt
Published on 6 Oct. 2012 by sgitheach

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles and Version, 16 July 2008
Flavio Zanrosso (London UK) - See all my reviews
It is true that, unfortunately, this edition of Night Watch only has English subtitles for the impaired of hearing, but this is - in my opinion - more than compensated by the fact that the version shown is the Russian rather than the International edition, with quite a few differences and even a charachter - Ignat - who was present in the Russian version but edited out of the international one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Blu-rays for Nightwatch and Daywatch, 24 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Nightwatch/ Daywatch Double Pack [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
First I should note that I got this double pack for under ten pounds, which has rather coloured my positive view of the whole package. Second I have access to a Russian native which means I've had a lot of the subtler cultural meanings explained to me that I think would be completely lost on most audiences. However to my taste the films are original and interesting. Sadly Nightwatch is the international version and has a number of scenes added, I guess to make the unusual story a bit clearer for an international audience. Some of the mystery is taken out so it would have been nice to have the original Russian version included. Daywatch is far easier to follow than Nightwatch (although probably wouldn't make much sense at all without seeing the first film). The transfer itself is very strong. The picture on both films is sharp, richly colourful and detailed. Daywatch does look the nicer of the two though. The soundtracks (I listened to the Russian versions with subtitles) are both strong and hard-hitting. The sound has been re-created for the added scenes in the international version of Nightwatch but this doesn't affect the quality, just the lip synch. If you know the films and like them and can get this double pack cheap, I'd highly recommend it over the DVD versions in particular. If you're unsure about the films themselves all I can say is that the package is very strong and is the best way to see them, so perhaps rent them first to be sure.

1.0 out of 5 stars good films spoilt, 6 Oct. 2012
These are two great films, ranking the films alone I would say a four or five, but this DVD pack is ruined by the subtitles. That may seem an odd comment so I have to explain - when I first saw Night Watch on tele it was one of the sleekest foreign language films I'd ever seen, in a big part due to stunning subtitles which enhanced the film rather than being a distraction. They were very cleverly animated to work with the action. This amazing viewer experience was a huge motivation to buy these DVDs, but when I stuck them on to play they only had blocky english for the hard of hearing subtitles which makes watching a difficult experience.. oh, and the extras are also poor - consisting of a low quality subtitled 'making of' for each disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars No subtitle problem for me. Great Box Set., 18 Nov. 2012
Decided to buy this box set even after reading all the reviews about it only having the English subtitles for the hearing impaired and ruining it but figured I'd live just with it.

My blu-ray player found and played normal subs with no problem, so they are on there. Also found the hearing impaired version and a 3rd English sub that I didn't look at, so it turns out this was a great buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing even if you've read the books!, 23 May 2010
Greg (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Okay the human population of the world are divided into 2 types - ordinary humans & Others, who are basically people capable of using magic to some degree. The Others are sub-divided into Light, Dark, Uninitiated/non-alligned & The Inquisition which keeps the balance between Light & Dark & enforces the laws/treaties that they have signed up to. The Light Others form the Night Watch, while the Dark ones form the Day Watch.

The books are about the eternal struggle between Light & Dark. These films are based on the books, supposedly, although at times it's hard to tell. I found the films hard to follow at times, even though I've read the books, so goodness knows how you are supposed to understand what id going on if you haven't! (I did start to watch Night Watch some time ago before I had read the books & gave up.)

Ultimately the films are okay, but could have been so much better if a bit more explanantion had been built into the scripts - you almost feel that the makers assume that you have read the books. My recommendation is to read the books (they are very good) & then try the films, but be prepared for changes to the plot, relationships & characters (most people are older in the film than in the books).

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not great., 2 April 2013
Jmjohnsonsajohnson "musicman" (sussex,england) - See all my reviews
I did not find the subtitles a problem as other reviewers seemed to, but found the story a bit muddled and the effects average. Not really a lot of action either. Overall I would not recommend unless like me you can get both films for under a pound. This review is for night watch as I have not yet watched day watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 10 Feb. 2010
Arif Erdogan - See all my reviews
Hey so, I was watching the first one on Film4 and It ruled, my mother and I love movies! So, I decided to get this, guess what?
I LOVE IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Russians kick ass, 19 Dec. 2011
A few years ago I have read this books. When I have found they been filmed, just had to have them. FX as in any blockbuster from hollywood, but story - just as fresh as russian sense of humour. Twighlight-shmiglight, this stories can really happen. Especially in Russia. I am amaz(on)ed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Great films!, 7 Mar. 2008
These films are by far Russia'a best import since Vodka. Although the subtitles on the "Night Watch" DVD are only for the hearing impaired, its still a damn good film. I loved the new take on the vampire story and the special effects are very good and is a good fantasy story.

If you are not into reading subtitles in foreign films then don't but these films, they are better in Russian with the English subtitles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Russian Supernatural Beings, 1 July 2009
I loved the books and so had to get this twin pack of the first two films just to see if they can do the books justice considering how complex and graphic the narrative is in them. The films really can't do the books the justice they deserve but they don't do them a total diservice either. The 1st one is subtitled and filmed in what may be considered a typically low budget gritty russian style. The 2nd one has english dialogue and they've tried to make it a little more slick and although they have I'm not sure it's to the benefit of the film. Either way I enjoyed them, they follow the books quite well and as long as you're not expecting a Hollywood Blockbuster you will not be disapointed!

Nightwatch/ Daywatch Double Pack [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free]