Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 November 2008
I have to say that I love Shrek - and that's hard for me to admit being a 24 year old male. Never the less, when I heard there was a new Shrek DVD being released I didn' think, I just clicked and bought it.

I'm not so gulliable that I was expecting an amazing, three hour epic for my money but I was hugely disappointed when the credits started rolling after twenty minutes. Hardly enough to even keep the kids occupied ofr long, is it?

However, on the plus side there are a few gags that will have you chuckling and it's a fairly heart warming tale. All in all I would say this is a product for those looking to complete their Shrek collection and not for anyone who is hoping to keep the ankle biters happy when Christmas excitement starts to take hold.
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2008
i must be one of the biggest shrek fans going, i was so looking forward to shrek the halls arriving, and though the dvd is good viewing i found it a bit disapointing that it was so short, but at least the price reflected that. shrek and fiona's babys are SO cute
it is a must to a shrek collection
on 3 November 2008
I love to get in the mood for Christmas by watching some good Christmas films, I watch certain ones such as Miracle on 34th street, The Santa clause, scrooge, The Snowman , Elf and It's a wonderful life every year but my two children and I were really excited when we saw this advertised on Tv last year as we love the Shrek films. We were not disappointed, although it is fairly short it has all the humor and charm of the others and a good christmassy feel, we also get to see a little bit more of those cute little Shrek babies.
It's a must for Shrek fans and anyone who just wants a different Christmas film to watch this year. I should also say this Dvd has loads of special features on it aswell as the film so it's a bargain at under £6.
22 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 December 2010
Donkey (and company) tries to get Shrek into the Christmas spirit.

Unfortunately, Donkey is one of those annoying people that starts on about Christmas 6 months before the event (not unlike some well known supermarkets), and Shrek is one of those people who just wants a quite time with the wife and kids. Donkey just can't take the hint and takes over.

Languages and subtitles available are: English; Danish; Norwegian; Finnish and Swedish.

The "film" lasts 27 minutes (including extra long titles at the end). In fact, if you take the titles out of the calculation the film only runs for 20 minutes 49 seconds - rather disappointing even though you have 6 minutes of various Christmas Carols over the top of the titles.

To be honest it looked like someone had the idea of a Christmas section for one of the films, but it was decided it wouldn't fit.

Extras are:

Sing-a-longs
- 12 Days of Christmas
- Deck the Halls

Games:
- Gingy's Dunking Game - spot the gingerbread man
- Shrek Carnival Craze Demo

Animation Jukebox - interesting way of advertising other films

Overall "Shrek the Halls" was a disappointment - far too short, with the lesson that you have to be nice to everyone even when they are ruining your Christmas. Of course it could just be the Scrooge in me coming out.

When the film came to an end we were left asking was that it, and that is the problem with this short, even though the story is "complete" there is still something lacking.
I remember several years back when Shrek the Halls came on TV not being super impressed with it. Even for this franchise, the bathroom humor was a little over the top for me. However, I recently decided to give it a second chance, and I enjoyed it more.

Christmas is coming, and everyone but Shrek (voiced by Mike Myers) is excited. Heck, Donkey (Eddie Murphy) has been counting down since July. When Fiona (Cameron Diaz) mentions that it will be the first Christmas with the triplets, so their first Christmas as a family, Shrek suddenly feels the pressure to create the perfect Christmas. But since this is also the first time he’s celebrated Christmas, can he do it? And what will happen when their friends show up to crash the holiday?

Now I know that this franchise has always had its share of bathroom humor. The main character is an ogre who lives in a swamp and loves all things gross and smelly after all. Even so, this half hour special seems to focus on it a bit more than needed. Usually in the movies those jokes get less as the movie advances. Here, it’s just too short to focus on other things.

Still, you have to admire the creativity of the writers and animators who come up with some clever versions of classic Christmas staples for Shrek and Fiona to enjoy. Even I had to smile as some of them, and kids will really laugh at the special.

Speaking of which, there are some great jokes that kids will get, but their parents will enjoy their own set of laughs. The writers have done a good job of layering the humor so everyone will enjoy it.

Being a Christmas special, there has to be some heart warming moments, and this special has those as well. The moral is rather obvious early on, but it is still nice to see Shrek be reminded of what is important, even if he claims to not like family or friends.

The voice cast from the movies is back for this special, and they do a great job as always. Many of the secondary characters are here as well, so there isn’t room for any big names to show up who aren’t part of the normal cast, but you don’t really need them. The regulars are all you need.

The animation is great as well. This may be a TV special, but you’ll still enjoy animation in keeping with the franchise.

So if you enjoy the antics of Shrek and his friends, you’ll want to Shrek the Halls this Christmas season. It may not be a classic Christmas special, but it is still fun.

NOTE: I gave this a second chance since I got it as part of the Dreamworks Holiday Collection DVD pack, which I received in exchange for my honest review.
on 27 October 2012
these little spin offs are great to watch as just like the originals.....but not very good value at all at just 25 minutes or so long.
but what can you do when they put these out and your kid is shrek mad?
on 6 June 2010
This film wasn't as good as the first two. I found it hard to get engaged with it and was a little bored while watching. I was also a bit disappointed that I didn't get to see the shrek babies until the end of the film and they didn't have a very big part.

However, there were still some good, funny lines. The part where the ugly sister said Prince Charming made her hotter than July made me howl with laughter!

It is definitely worth watching but don't expect the masterpiece of the first two. They've made Shrek 4 which I hope is an improvement.
on 25 November 2013
I'll not go on about the story plot and Shrek's cute babies, as it has been done many times before in other reviews. I will however say for what you have to pay for this DVD (RRP New Price ) it is way too short. You just get settled into the potentially good story line... and it ends leaving you wanting more. So, unless you can get it cheap on Amazon or your a Shrek fan, I would simply avoid it.
on 5 January 2011
As usual a great for all Shrek fans just could have been a bit longer but you will enjoy it I am sure.
on 26 December 2010
Slightly disappointed by this film, definately not upto the standard of the Shrek films. My children watched it but were not rocking with laughter which they do with the films. Its okay and its not very long so its over before you get too bored with it. I think the kids may watch it occasionally but its not going to be a favourite.