5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding series with extras
This box set consists of 5 discs, the full contingent of 16 episodes (damn the writers strike). With lots of extras. There is:

- a gag reel (although some of them are now looking staged for the purpose rather than true errors);

- a short film called from legacy to reality (look at the special effects);

- a featurette on the impala...
Published on 29 Aug 2008 by Su

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant show, though PS3 viewers beware..
First off let me just say, if I was reviewing the show itself then I wouldn't hesitate to give it 5/5 stars, its a top show which needs to be given a chance by everyone (though if you're reading this then the chances are you've seen season 1 & 2 and know this). Unfortunately though I'm reviewing the product itself.

As has been said by a fellow reviewer, this is...
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by J. WATT

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding series with extras, 29 Aug 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

- a short film called from legacy to reality (look at the special effects);

- a featurette on the impala (metallicar history and how they kitted it out to make it special);

- a Ghostfacers confessional (I know that this isn't a popular episode with some but I like it);

- a number of "a closer look" featurettes (one for almost every episode);

Missing, however, are the commentaries and the "filming with Jensen and Jared" featurette, and extra blooper reel which my friend in the US said are on there's.

This is my favourite series (sorry CSI NY you came a close second).

Summary of show: Firstly (and obviously) this season 3 (if you haven't got them I would suggest that you purchase the first 2 seasons so you know what's happened and what's going on).

The deal that Dean made in "all hell breaks loose" is due for payment at the end of this season, and as we travel the road with Sam and Dean we watch them try to come to terms with what's going to happen. One again (as usual with Kripke productions) we see new characters introduced, the return of some favourites.

I have to say I like the idea of the demon Lilith, although Katie Cassidy's demon "Ruby" does tend to get on my nerves (and I can't put my finger on why). I did find that I 'sort of' liked the character of Bella.

Out of the episdes my personal favourites are:

#3 - Bad day at Black Rock - the boys find that dad, John, had a storage unit after it is broken in to (this is the only mention of it in this season). They then go in search of the missing item.

#11 - Mystery Spot - after the initial shock, when I realised what was going on, I started to laugh. Poor Dean.

#13 - Ghostfacers - Ed and Harry are back with a mickey take on Most Haunted et al.

I recommend Supernatural as my secret pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Super, 11 Sep 2008
Supernatural season 3 carries on in much the same way as the previous two seasons, and I, for the most part, loved it. The main disappointment would be that there's only 16 episodes (obviously not their fault), so by the time you get to the last episode, the general feeling is, "Is that it?" And now I'm waiting for season 4!

Season 3 introduces two female characters, that have spawned intensive debate and hatred from many fans. However I did not find the elusive Bela and demon Ruby that bad, in fact, I didn't mind them at all. I don't think they dominate the show, as many have said, in fact most of the time they just pop up and then go, leaving the Winchester boys with the most show time. Both Sam and Dean are left to deal with the predicament they were left in last season, and they both do so typically in character, Dean quite humourously, making the most of what he has left and Sam, quite desperately trying to find a way to save his brother. I did love the character development, even if Sam seemed a bit angry sometimes.

Favourite episodes include:
Bad day at black rock- which offers a sweet and funny side to Sam, who finds himself with very, very bad luck.

A Very Supernatural Christmas- which shows the Winchester boys when young, and I found the evil characters hysterical!

Mystery Spot- Was probably my favourite episode. It was by far the funniest episode (having me laugh as hard as I did in Tall Tales, my favourite from season 2), and was very reminiscent of the film Final Destination. They definitely found very creative ways of having Dean die, although at the end it makes your heart ache, because you're left seeing what could be if Dean does go to hell.

Jus in Bello- was another of my favourites as it was a simple episode, but I loved the ethics involved in it. I also love the change of direction of Agent Henriksen's attitude towards the boys, and wondered why it hadn't happened sooner!

Overall, season 3 offers more top quality, high notch, compelling viewing, with superb acting from the boys and strong storylines, although in my opinion season 2 had many more "excellent" episodes. It isn't as scary as it could be, as someone pointed out, but I don't think it had to be, as there was something more important to focus on.

Included in the special features is: a gag reel, commentaries, a featurette on the Impala and special effects, but no interviews or commentaries of the cast, which is disappointing. Although my friend from thr US says hers is the same, so we Brits haven't been cheated again this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best season of Supernatural, 17 May 2008
Film Buff (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Finally this series has hit it's stride. I've seen all of the episodes on ITV2 and they are superb. The first series ripped off too many horror films for my liking and as a result it was very average. The two leads and the cool car kept me watching! The second season was a huge improvement but it still contained the odd clunker. The third series doesn't have a bad episode (the new charachters are well received) and it has a excellent season arc that continues from the season 2 finale. The central idea is that Dean will die in a year from now (the first episode of this series) Along the way we have a demented Christmas episode, a groundhog day style show, a Vampire hunter turned vampire, the seven deadly sins and much much more. My favourite episode is situated in a prison. Dean and Sam have been arrested and a horde of Demons is on it's way...first class

4.0 out of 5 stars More Chills and Thrills and Now in Glorious HD, 28 Jun 2009
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Supernatural - Complete Third Season [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
After the enjoyable though patchy first two seasons, Supernatural seems at last to have hit its stride. The narrative of the series continues to build strongly, although with the loss of the "Yellow Eyed Demon" the story arc begins to veer in a new direction culminating in the strongest cliffhanger finale we've had so far. Our two leads continue to impress and the increased female supporting cast, the devious Bella, the mysterious Ruby and the sinister Lilith, all prove to be worthy additions.

This three disk set contains all 16 episodes in HD, and a nice collection of special features which have been ported directly from the standard DVD release. As with many blu-ray box sets, the recommended price tag feels pretty heavy but I'm sure when the format gains more widespread appeal it'll settle down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supernaturaly brilliant, 27 Aug 2008
I've been a huge fan of Supernatural since my best mate forced me to watch the first series a year ago and I'm happy to admit I'm pretty obsessed! All three series are brilliant, I'm happily in love with Jensen Ackles, yum. This series is great also, not as heartbreakingly sad as series 2 but it has alot of humour, espeically 'bad day at black rock' and sams temper in 'mystery spot'.
I recommend this to all fans, and if you haven't sen it yet, order it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars a year in the life, 29 Oct 2008
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
for the uninitiated: supernatural is a series about two brothers who hunt monsters across america. they drive around in a vintage 60's car, living from motel to motel on credit cards. their family was torn apart by monsters when they were young and their lives have been forever changed as a result.young brother sam is a serious and smart guy. older brother dean is a devil may care live for the moment ladies man. they may be opposites. they may fight and quareel. but they're brothers. so they stick together.

and that's what makes what could have been just a lame x files clone into a truly entertaining series. that and quality acting from the two leads, and the fact that although the show does have story arcs it also has a complete story every week. this series is a decent jumping on point as the story arc of the first two seasons has been resolved, but it created a new one in the process. dean made a deal with a demon to save sam's life. as a result he has just a year left to live. can they find him a way out of that deal? and hunt down lots more monsters in the meantime?

a show at the top of it's game, and it's never afraid to try and stretch the format, with a comedy episode 'bad day at black rock' where possessing a lucky rabbit's foot causes bizarre things to happen, 'a very supernatural christmas' is a rather different christmas story, and 'ghostfacers' is presented as a tv episode made by a group of would be ghost hunters. as you can see from other reviews these episodes can be love or hate, but you have to admire a show that will try something different.

and the ongoing story arc of this year builds to an unforgettable season finale which twists and turns dramatically at the end, leading to one heck of a cliffhanger. can't wait for season four.

this set contains all the sixteen episodes of season three spread over five discs [the season was shorter than the usual twenty two due to the american tv writers strike of 2007-2008]. the only language track on the discs is english, and the only subtitles are english and dutch. all episodes give you the option to turn off the opening reprise to each one if you wish.

seven of the episodes have a feature on the disc called A CLOSER LOOK wherein of the production staff talk about the genesis and production of the episode. a couple get a bit technical but they're all quite interesting.

the last disc has two short but interesting features about the special effects and the car they use for the show, and a gag reel. I've seen so many of the latter now they can get a bit samey but this does have some decent moments.

and the other extras relate to the episode ghostfacers, having some videoed interviews with the characters from it on various subjects. if you like the episode in question, you will like these.

a bit light extras wise as a package, but they're better than nothing, and the show is good enough to get it a 5 star rating as a whole

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant show, though PS3 viewers beware.., 29 Dec 2009
J. WATT (Devon, England) - See all my reviews

As has been said by a fellow reviewer, this is pretty much a straight port from the original dvd (content wise), with one slight problem - they seem to have taken the menu out!?! When I load the bluray on my PS3 it imediately starts playing from the first episode. I quit to the 'top menu' and it brings me to a screen showing options for 4 episodes with directors commentary (there are 7 episodes on the disc so I'm not sure whats going on there).

At any rate it does not seem you can just select individual episodes from any menu as per the standard dvds, which seems pretty unacceptable. I have played around with it for over an hour, trying every option availible but with no luck. If I want to watch a later episode I am forced to sit there and chapter skip until I come across the start of it.

Like I said, I love the show itself, and this may just be a problem for PS3 users, but personally I wish I'd just gone for the standard dvd. Still, Katie Cassidy in high definition is a nice consolation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rewiew from Mrs Dean Winchester....I wish, 30 Oct 2008
Ms. Sj Phelps "sweetiepie1" (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
I absolutly love this series of Supernatural. It was so funny! My fav episodes are the one in which Dean keeps dying (especially when Sam kills him with the axe)and Ghostfacers. The comedy episodes are my favourite I think this is when the actors are at their best. Althought I also love the episode in the prison where the FBI agent realises Sam and Dean have been telling the truth the whole time. I will admit some of the conversations between Dean and Sam about Dean's deal get a little re-petative but that's a writing issue the actors can't be blamed. I dont understand how anyone can say that the acting in this series is bad it always seems fine to me. People complainted that the show isnt as good as the x files (which I love) but it's a completly different kind of show. X files is much more complex and much more serious. Supernatural is just an enjoyable easy to watch, funny show where two v. hot guys kill supernatural things. The only similarity between these two show is the supernatural elements and they shouldn;t be judged as so. (As for Buffy well that's a classic but even that lost its magic at the end) Love this series can't wait until the next one. Oh and watch the blooper real it is soooo funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~Supernatural at it's FINEST~, 16 Nov 2008
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
although having 6 episodes shorter than the previous 2 seasons...it is more than made up in the sheer quality of the episodes.
season 1 and 2 basically got the whole how set up and we all got the j hist of what was going on, the pace was fast yet it had never got the sheer spectacular standard that Buffy the Vampire Slayer set for all the shows in this genre.
but Supernaturals' third outing is quite a remarkable one which can be extremely scary one moment and then utterly camp the next.
this season has made me a dedicated fan...yes the first 2 need to be seen first but here is where everything kicks off.
all 17 episodes are on top form.
also contains 3 of the greatest episodes ever-A Very Supernatural Christmas,Just In Bello ans First blood...all three stand out from the perfect crowd.
Ghost Facers also comes close which is shot in an entirely Blair Witch style...which only adds to the intensity of the episode.
this is perfect viewing and the finale is intense.
Bring on season 4...it can only get better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Demon hunting at its best, 3 Jan 2009
J. WAELPUT (Belgium) - See all my reviews
Supernatural - The Complete Third Season
Supernatural is back for a third season, even more hilarious and dramatic than seasons 1 and 2. In this season Sam tries to help Dean, who has only one year to live, and tries to release him from his contract he made with the crossroad demon to save Sam.
This season brings supernatural to a whole new level, especially bringing in 2 new characters named Ruby and Bela, the battle against the demons they released when they opened the devil's gate, and a hunter trying to kill Sam, gives the show a new 'élan'.

This season comes in 5 discs (this season is slightly smaller than 1 and 2 because of the writers' strike) devided over 3 thin packs, and offcourse filled with extras as a gag reel, behind the scenes, interviews,...
The DVD's are subtitled in Dutch, and English. And picture and sound quality are impressive.

Definitely worth checking it out, for only 9,98.

Supernatural - Complete Third Season [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]