4.0 out of 5 stars Got there in the end
Published on 9 July 2012 by Sir Jack H

3.0 out of 5 stars good but awkward
Published 10 months ago by Tomscotland

3.0 out of 5 stars good but awkward, 2 Jun. 2014
It is quite awkward to lift the kayak onto the J bar. Definitely needs two people, but even then it is at the limit of your stretch. The fixing to the wing bar is clever, but the position of the allen key is awkward. When the kayak is in place you can't reach over the top to feed the securing strap through the top of the J bar. Once it is place it is totally secure. Very good for long journeys

4.0 out of 5 stars Got there in the end, 9 July 2012
I bought this from Towequipe and had it delivered to an elderly relatives house while I was at work. I have never received a package in such a poor condition. What was left of the box was wet and held together by gaffer tape. It truly did look as though they had sent me the last sorry reject from the back of their warehouse. Thankfully, the contents appeared to be OK except that there was one part missing, not an essential item but still important because it protects your kayak from strap damage.

The product itself looks fairly easy to install. Although only one is pictured, it does come with 2 J bars which attach easily to your roofrack using hand adjustable fittings. I have not tried it yet but it looks like it should take no more than five minutes to install. The bars on this model (835) are a fixed shape, unlike the next model up (837) which can fold down when not in use. However, the 837 is £50 dearer so I am not sure it is worth the extra expense (particularly if the bars are easy to take on and off). The Kayak is secured to the J bars with 2 straps that should come with protective rubber covers which prevent the metal buckle from damaging your boat. If, like me, you don't have Thule roofbars then just make sure that your bars are compatible before you buy. The product does not protect your kayak from theft if you leave it unattended on the car. If this is a concern, you may need to purchase a suitable locking cable as well.

Update:17/07/2012
I have decided to update my review following actual use of the product and in light of recent events involving Towequipe.

Very shortly after posting my review on here I received an email from Towequipe apologising for the situation and promising to resolve it. They made two more attempts to get the missing part delivered via Thule. Still nothing arrived. However, they did send me email confirmation from Thule to confirm that the part had indeed been dispatched. To cut a long story short, someone had mixed up the numbers on my address resulting in the part being delivered several times to a non-existent address. Thankfully this has now been resolved and I now have the missing part. I thought it only fair to mention that, despite my initial disappointment at the condition the goods arrived in, Towequipe did persevere and, to their credit, eventually sorted it out.

I managed to use the product last weekend to transport my Perception Triumph 13 Kayak. The Hull-a-port was very easy to fix to the roofbars and I still have enough room on top for two bikes. I was slightly worried that it would be easy for someone to steal the J bars from the car while unattended as they are not lockable. However, it is so easy to take them on and off that you can simply put them in the boot while you're on the water. I did have to go and buy longer straps as the 2.75m ones that come with the Hull-a-port were not long enough to fit my kayak. Other than that, the hull-a-port was easy to use and the kayak was transported securely.

A tip for anyone who has a sit-on-top with reasonable size drainage holes in the cockpit, I managed to use a couple of fairly decent 1.85m bike locks to secure the boat via these to the Hull-a-port and the roofbars (which are locked to the car). They should hopefully make things a little more secure if I need to pop into a service station for a coffee while on my travels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 15 Aug. 2012
I have this canoe carrier for about 1 year now and have used it on about 20 occasions. The carrier is removed after every trip and stored in a dry garage, despite this rust has developed at the ends of the bars and where the securing bolts pass through the bars. Additionally the bolts seem quite flimsy and altough it has never failed, being secured to the roof bars by a single fitting on each holder does seem a bit insecure. Not the qulaity I would normally expect from Thule. Apart from that they work well for transporting my sea kayak,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 1 Jan. 2013
Great just what I wanted, came in the post very quickly and fits perfect, does the job it was made to do

Thule 835101 Hull-A-Port Kayak Carrier