5.0 out of 5 stars Very good on flights
Published on 23 Jun. 2010 by D. C. F. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
They're ok for the price, but not great.

good points:
- they're blocking out a lot of sound already when just putting them on in passive mode without any music
- very good sound in active mode
- reasonably comfortable, with large earparts, so they don't squeeze your ear
- you can unplug the cable at both ends and replace it completely. Most...
Published 14 months ago by code_monkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good on flights, 23 Jun. 2010
I looked at a lot of noise cancelling headphones and choose these based on price and reviews on the internet. I recently used them each way on a four hour flight to Turkey. You can only use them for about three hours because of restrictions on take off and landing but they proved comfortable during that time and I have a large head and large ears. When I first put them on I disappeared into my own peaceful world. I could listen to my MP3 player without turning up the volume. You can still hear a faint background noise. I could still hear my family and stewards speaking to me but occasionally had to take them off if they were not close to me. I could hear the announcements over the speakers clearer than without them. After a while I wondered how much effect the noise cancelling system was having compared with the natural over the ear effect. I switched off the power and was amazed how much noise came in - almost as much as taking them off. The sound quality was probably not as good as my old hi-fi headphones at home but was fine considering what I was listening to and where. I have a couple of problems with my hearing and usually take a few hours to recover after even a short flight. Having used these I was in perfect condition at the end of each flight and can recommend these to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy build quality, but excellent sound and impressive noise cancellation for the price., 13 Jan. 2015
Philip King (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LINDY NC-40 20425 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
It's difficult to give a full review for noise cancelling headphones without trying the competition, specifically the Bose Quiet Comfort line of headphones which seem to dominate the market. However, it's easy to compare on price - these Lindy headphones are 6 to 7 times cheaper than the Quiet Comfort 25 model.

I'd never heard of Lindy as a manufacturer before, and initial impressions weren't too promising. The build quality isn't great. I would describe the feel of the headphones as 'plastiky', and I suspect that their life expectancy will be limited by part of the structure breaking.

The headphones come with a detachable 3.5 mm cable, a 3.5 to 6.3 mm jack adapter, an airline headphone adapter, and an AAA battery. The mechanism to release the battery cover on the right headphone is stiff and tricky to open, further adding to the negative initial impression.

When plugged in to an audio source, the sound isn't great, sounding very muddy with little contrast. However - and this is where the review goes from two stars to five stars - when you turn on the noise cancelling, controlled using a simple toggle switch, it's an entirely different experience.

The sound becomes a lot brighter and punchier. Furthermore, there's this odd feeling as if the noise is being sucked out of your head. I've had this experience before, testing a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 25 headphones briefly in a well-known UK department store, and it's an odd feeling. Without testing them side by side it's difficult to tell, but I would say that the Lindy does pretty much the same job as the vastly more expensive Bose.

The effect is more pronounced when you're in a continuously noisy environment. I flew to the United States and back, with a nine hour outbound and 7 hour return flight. The engine vibration and hissing of the ventilation systems pretty much disappears when the cancellation is turned on. It's very impressive.

It doesn't deal with speech as well as continuous noise, although it does remove the low-end vibrations, and makes voices sound distant, as if they're coming through an old analogue telephone. Adding music over the noise cancellation makes it fairly easy to block out the world. On the way back from the US, from Orlando airport, there were a lot of tired, presumably Disney'ed-out toddlers on the flight, and these headphones did an excellent job of neutralising their complaints.

I do have a couple of further niggles beyond the poor build quality, or perhaps because of it. If you tap the outside of the headphones while music is playing, the sound will drop out for a moment. I'm not sure if this is because there's a loose connection, or that it's something to do with the noise cancellation being overwhelmed by the vibration. This can be a little off-putting if your head lolls to the side and hits the sides of the head rest on the plane seats. Furthermore, I found the head band to be a little tight, and as there is not a vast amount of cushioning, I found my ears got sore after an hour or so.

But all in all, the Lindy's faults are for me neutralised by the price. If they were three times the price, I'd baulk at the poor build quality, but the quality of the noise cancellation and general sound (tested with an HTC One with the Beats Audio enabled, and a Nexus 10 tablet) is excellent. I would recommend anyone who flies regularly to give these a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars They may be less comfortable for someone with large ears, 20 Jan. 2015
As these are my first pair of noise-cancelling headphones, I have no other to compare them to, so here goes....Ok for environments which are not very noisy where the background noise is reduced to a low hum. I tried it on some underground lines and the rattle of the train could be heard vividly. Worked reasonably well during my flight which was the main purpose of buying them.

Music wise the bass is not very powerful. But then again this works for me as I am ever conscious of the effects of too loud music on my eardrums. The sound is clear and I can hear mid tones very well.

As I have small ears the ear pads fit around my ears, and so was able to keep them on for a few hours. They may be less comfortable for someone with large ears.

I like the fact that the extension cord is detachable ( and can be replaced easily), and I do not have to discard a perfectly good pair of headphones just because the cord is broken. The battery life seems to works well as I have been using the headphones on and off for about a month now. The red indicator light still seems strong.

All over I am happy with my purchase of these headphones and would recommend them as a first time buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable bargain, 5 Sept. 2013
Wow. If you want loud, they're loud. The noise cancelling is superb; low frequencies disappear, which makes public transport - even here in London - far more bearable. True, the sound quality is not pristine with the cancellation turned off but that's easily rectified by turning it on! With this level of cancellation, and this deep and powerful a sound for under fifty pounds, it's hard not to resort to superlatives. I'd recommend these headphones unreservedly to anyone who doesn't have hundreds of pounds to spare on the only marginally better Bose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phones for the price, 18 Sept. 2014
Great phones for the price. I recently travelled to Hong Kong and found these really reduced the engine noise, even voices and children crying were significantly quieter (although this is not what they are designed for). Unlike other noise cancelling headphones I have tried, you must have the cancelling turned on or the sound quality suffers, so make sure your battery is fresh.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 10 Feb. 2014
They're ok for the price, but not great.

good points:
- very good sound in active mode
- reasonably comfortable, with large earparts, so they don't squeeze your ear
- you can unplug the cable at both ends and replace it completely. Most headphones I went through over the years I had to throw out because the cable got dodgy
- comes with a nice bag and adapter
- relatively cheap

bad points:
- enclosed cable is quite short
- headphones are very heavy
- in passive mode the sound coming out of the speakers is noticeably muffled, which I didn't expect
- in active mode if you move around or chew something and your ear touches the membrane inside the headphone, it makes
- active mode burns through the batteries quite quickly
- even in active mode you can *still* hear people talking around you, it just makes everything sound tinny and distant.

Conclusion: You get what you pay for. If you just want to lower the noise around you it's fine. If you suffer from APD, you'll want something stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and excellent noise cancellation, 6 Dec. 2014
Prof J. Heslop-harrison (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
Just about to buy a second pair - these are really good, especially for the price at <20% of the Bose's etc. Clear sound, less tin-ny than either Sony or Radio Shack pairs I've had before. The Lindy's sound better with the noise reduction on, although they are usable without the battery. Noise cancellation is excellent, seeming to allow you to hear questions/announcements but not engines. Some interference from mobile-phone log-in signals although nowhere near as bad as other pairs which made useless on trains from the ch-ch-ch sound every few minutes. Separate plug-in cable means you can replace this when it breaks (as happened with others at the end of the plug) or choose the length you need. Quite bulky for your 'carry-on only', but clever folding makes compact and robust; decent battery life, and an excellent buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective noise cancelling, but annoying clicks when listening in the car, 4 Oct. 2014
Mark B "Mark B" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
These are high quality headphones that have a noise cancelling feature that works very well if you are still or just walking around. However, when I am in the car (as a passenger!), every time we go over a relatively minor bump in the road, the noise cancelling mechanism responds to the vertical movement by giving a sharp pulse of sound which is quite irritating. Although the closed cup design means that passive noise reduction is good, turning off the active noise cancellation seems to boost the base to unpleasantly loud levels.

On the positive side, these are powerful headphones and give very good sound quality from my phone. However, I do tend to turn down the bass setting as these headphones seem to really amplify low frequency sounds and this is not a problem that I have ever had before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent noise reduction - and only £40, 28 Dec. 2014
Bought these for a long haul flight - All of the family wanted to use them as they isolated the airplane noise so well
At £40 I will probably have to buy another set for our next flight
My son now uses them for long trips in the car so he doesn't have to listen to Pink Floyd on the main car speakers!!
A win win

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm!, 19 Feb. 2015
I have no experience of any other noise cancelling headphones out there, but this one does the trick!
My 9 hour flight from Austin to London, the other day, was a dream with these on - they totally filter out that constant hum of the engines.
The plus and downside to it is that the human voice does filter through very nicely. During the flight I was sitting close to two crying children and I found out that if I turned the n.cancelling function off, that I didn't hear the kids at all :-)
Luckily I'm not easlily bothered kind of a human creature, so I just took it like the enlightened man I am and cranked up the music while the little critters kept their parents busy ;-)