5.0 out of 5 stars Very good on flights
Published on 23 Jun. 2010 by D. C. F. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
They're ok for the price, but not great.

good points:
- they're blocking out a lot of sound already when just putting them on in passive mode without any music
- very good sound in active mode
- reasonably comfortable, with large earparts, so they don't squeeze your ear
- you can unplug the cable at both ends and replace it completely. Most...
Published 17 months ago by code_monkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good on flights, 23 Jun. 2010
I looked at a lot of noise cancelling headphones and choose these based on price and reviews on the internet. I recently used them each way on a four hour flight to Turkey. You can only use them for about three hours because of restrictions on take off and landing but they proved comfortable during that time and I have a large head and large ears. When I first put them on I disappeared into my own peaceful world. I could listen to my MP3 player without turning up the volume. You can still hear a faint background noise. I could still hear my family and stewards speaking to me but occasionally had to take them off if they were not close to me. I could hear the announcements over the speakers clearer than without them. After a while I wondered how much effect the noise cancelling system was having compared with the natural over the ear effect. I switched off the power and was amazed how much noise came in - almost as much as taking them off. The sound quality was probably not as good as my old hi-fi headphones at home but was fine considering what I was listening to and where. I have a couple of problems with my hearing and usually take a few hours to recover after even a short flight. Having used these I was in perfect condition at the end of each flight and can recommend these to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy build quality, but excellent sound and impressive noise cancellation for the price., 13 Jan. 2015
Philip King (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LINDY NC-40 20425 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
It's difficult to give a full review for noise cancelling headphones without trying the competition, specifically the Bose Quiet Comfort line of headphones which seem to dominate the market. However, it's easy to compare on price - these Lindy headphones are 6 to 7 times cheaper than the Quiet Comfort 25 model.

I'd never heard of Lindy as a manufacturer before, and initial impressions weren't too promising. The build quality isn't great. I would describe the feel of the headphones as 'plastiky', and I suspect that their life expectancy will be limited by part of the structure breaking.

The headphones come with a detachable 3.5 mm cable, a 3.5 to 6.3 mm jack adapter, an airline headphone adapter, and an AAA battery. The mechanism to release the battery cover on the right headphone is stiff and tricky to open, further adding to the negative initial impression.

When plugged in to an audio source, the sound isn't great, sounding very muddy with little contrast. However - and this is where the review goes from two stars to five stars - when you turn on the noise cancelling, controlled using a simple toggle switch, it's an entirely different experience.

The sound becomes a lot brighter and punchier. Furthermore, there's this odd feeling as if the noise is being sucked out of your head. I've had this experience before, testing a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 25 headphones briefly in a well-known UK department store, and it's an odd feeling. Without testing them side by side it's difficult to tell, but I would say that the Lindy does pretty much the same job as the vastly more expensive Bose.

The effect is more pronounced when you're in a continuously noisy environment. I flew to the United States and back, with a nine hour outbound and 7 hour return flight. The engine vibration and hissing of the ventilation systems pretty much disappears when the cancellation is turned on. It's very impressive.

It doesn't deal with speech as well as continuous noise, although it does remove the low-end vibrations, and makes voices sound distant, as if they're coming through an old analogue telephone. Adding music over the noise cancellation makes it fairly easy to block out the world. On the way back from the US, from Orlando airport, there were a lot of tired, presumably Disney'ed-out toddlers on the flight, and these headphones did an excellent job of neutralising their complaints.

I do have a couple of further niggles beyond the poor build quality, or perhaps because of it. If you tap the outside of the headphones while music is playing, the sound will drop out for a moment. I'm not sure if this is because there's a loose connection, or that it's something to do with the noise cancellation being overwhelmed by the vibration. This can be a little off-putting if your head lolls to the side and hits the sides of the head rest on the plane seats. Furthermore, I found the head band to be a little tight, and as there is not a vast amount of cushioning, I found my ears got sore after an hour or so.

But all in all, the Lindy's faults are for me neutralised by the price. If they were three times the price, I'd baulk at the poor build quality, but the quality of the noise cancellation and general sound (tested with an HTC One with the Beats Audio enabled, and a Nexus 10 tablet) is excellent. I would recommend anyone who flies regularly to give these a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phones for the price, 18 Sept. 2014
Great phones for the price. I recently travelled to Hong Kong and found these really reduced the engine noise, even voices and children crying were significantly quieter (although this is not what they are designed for). Unlike other noise cancelling headphones I have tried, you must have the cancelling turned on or the sound quality suffers, so make sure your battery is fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable bargain, 5 Sept. 2013
Wow. If you want loud, they're loud. The noise cancelling is superb; low frequencies disappear, which makes public transport - even here in London - far more bearable. True, the sound quality is not pristine with the cancellation turned off but that's easily rectified by turning it on! With this level of cancellation, and this deep and powerful a sound for under fifty pounds, it's hard not to resort to superlatives. I'd recommend these headphones unreservedly to anyone who doesn't have hundreds of pounds to spare on the only marginally better Bose.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 10 Feb. 2014
They're ok for the price, but not great.

good points:
- very good sound in active mode
- reasonably comfortable, with large earparts, so they don't squeeze your ear
- you can unplug the cable at both ends and replace it completely. Most headphones I went through over the years I had to throw out because the cable got dodgy
- comes with a nice bag and adapter
- relatively cheap

bad points:
- enclosed cable is quite short
- headphones are very heavy
- in passive mode the sound coming out of the speakers is noticeably muffled, which I didn't expect
- in active mode if you move around or chew something and your ear touches the membrane inside the headphone, it makes
- active mode burns through the batteries quite quickly
- even in active mode you can *still* hear people talking around you, it just makes everything sound tinny and distant.

Conclusion: You get what you pay for. If you just want to lower the noise around you it's fine. If you suffer from APD, you'll want something stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and excellent noise cancellation, 6 Dec. 2014
Prof J. Heslop-harrison (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
Just about to buy a second pair - these are really good, especially for the price at <20% of the Bose's etc. Clear sound, less tin-ny than either Sony or Radio Shack pairs I've had before. The Lindy's sound better with the noise reduction on, although they are usable without the battery. Noise cancellation is excellent, seeming to allow you to hear questions/announcements but not engines. Some interference from mobile-phone log-in signals although nowhere near as bad as other pairs which made useless on trains from the ch-ch-ch sound every few minutes. Separate plug-in cable means you can replace this when it breaks (as happened with others at the end of the plug) or choose the length you need. Quite bulky for your 'carry-on only', but clever folding makes compact and robust; decent battery life, and an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant product , works fantasticaly well , very pleased with them, 1 July 2015
Just had 2 , 12 hour flights to try these out and they are excelent - i was looking at some of the more expensive units £250 + but was undecided on how much use i would get from them as i dont comute on public transport or need them apart from being stuck on long haul holiday flights , so i decided to go for these much cheaper options , i suspect they have put the money into electronics and not the casings etc , - sound quality - OK not earth shattering but Ok , would you use them instead of ear buds daily or at home ? - probably not . robustness - looks ok to me , again i would not want to be banging them about , but i would not do that with a £300 pair , comfort - good for the first 5 - 6 hours did get a little uncomfortable after but not realy a problem , i found turning them under my chin as opposed to over my head relived any sore points - sound removal - brilliant , the dreamliner we were on was quiet but turn them on and it removes almost a 100% of the droning plane noise , anoncements and wife were not removed ( pretending you cannot hear them works very well however, they give up eventualy ) , these units are active sound removal , battery powered by one AA still going strong after 20 + hours solid , they are not passive ( padded ) sound supressers . one tip - from time to time the electronics does seem to let some sound past , move your head slightly and it goes away - i guess something to do with the placement of the microphone ? please note they mostly work on droning low noise , they do not remove sudden or higher pitch sounds .

5.0 out of 5 stars great value for money, 4 May 2015
OK, they're not the gold standard in noise cancelling headphones - BOSE - however, there are a lot of positives to write about these Lindy headphones, especially given the price point.

They are very comfortable (for me) and come with a 1.5m lead, a large jack adapter, an airplane adapter and a carry bag. The quality seems very good for the money. In terms of sound quality, while I'm no audiophile, I'm getting plenty of bass, mid range and treble with these headphones for my liking. With the power switched off, or with a flat battery, the headphones still work, but the sound sounds "flattened" a bit, but it is acceptable. They sound a lot better with the power switched on.

Now, for the noise cancelling bit. They claim to take out 16Db of noise, which is not as much as the top marques in this game, and it does not state at which frequencies this is measured. I can tell you that

a) the headphones are very well insulated and cut a lot of background noise just by virtue of wearing them
b) there is a noticeable difference with the NC switched on
c) they seem best suited to taking out low level background noise e.g. computer noise and background chatter which is a constant drone. I can still hear voices of people talking nearby with them switched on. I haven't tried as yet, but I think they would do an excellent job of removing background noise in various situations like in a car, train or plane.

Do not expect complete silence as this is not realistic.

I would heartily recommend these to anyone wanting to dip their finger into the noise cancelling market without spending a huge sum of money on the high end brands.
The battery life seems ok so far - claims 30 hrs per aaa battery, still on my first but no idea how many hours I've clocked up. I've used it plenty already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but effective!, 17 Jun. 2015
I like these! The noise cancellation isn't perfect, but it's as good as any of the high-end headphones I've tried, and definitely makes a difference when flying. With them switched on it is easier to hear audio in a noisy environment like on a plane or train, so perfect for watching in-flight movies or listening to music, but you can use the noise cancelling alone for a quieter, more pleasant journey without audio. Makes falling (and staying) asleep MUCH easier.

You get what you pay for - these don't come in a slick case, the travel bag you get with them is fairly cheap, and there's no microphone or remote on the cord - but for the price these are effective, compact and perfect for air travel. The battery lasts a very long time, the cord is a decent length, and it also comes with an adaptor for armrest headphone slots, so on a plane you can watch the films on offer without having to use the headphones provided by the airline, which is a bonus.

In a nutshell, these won't cancel out all ambient noise but they reduce it significantly and make air travel quieter and easier to relax. I always travel with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective noise cancelling, but annoying clicks when listening in the car, 4 Oct. 2014
Mark B "Mark B" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
These are high quality headphones that have a noise cancelling feature that works very well if you are still or just walking around. However, when I am in the car (as a passenger!), every time we go over a relatively minor bump in the road, the noise cancelling mechanism responds to the vertical movement by giving a sharp pulse of sound which is quite irritating. Although the closed cup design means that passive noise reduction is good, turning off the active noise cancellation seems to boost the base to unpleasantly loud levels.

On the positive side, these are powerful headphones and give very good sound quality from my phone. However, I do tend to turn down the bass setting as these headphones seem to really amplify low frequency sounds and this is not a problem that I have ever had before.