on 18 October 2007
Here you have a small book, relatively readable which can potentially make your life less stressful and more organised. The major theme of the book is how to manage too much information, what to keep, where to keep it and what to throw. And in general it works which is no mean feat for your average corporate bunny getting a minimum of 50 emails a day. It also covers file formats, photo archiving, the need to touch type which are all valid, but for me not as important as blitzing the inbox and managing a todo list. I would thoroughly recommend the book and have lent it to my boss - a guy who is even less organised than I use to be.
on 21 November 2010
There is no question that there has been a massive increase in the number of people that make use of technology. The majority of these have had little training and as such, have developed poor work habits that make them less productive. In many cases, they are drowning in a flood of information.

This book aims to provide some basic advice on how to handle the constant stream of incoming data, by using the technology in a way to do some of the work for you. It is written in a plain, easy to understand way, and I would suggest that most people could start to implement some of the advice pretty quickly and that it would make their lives considerably easier. You do have to start at the beginning, but after that, you can dip in and out of certain sections.

The author does make quite a big thing of a product that he has developed; but don't think that the book is just an advert for that service, you can use other products as well. All in all, it is well written, full of practical advice, and if the advice is followed, would make many people's lives better organised.
on 19 January 2011
Like most self help books most of the points you pick up are common sense/self evident and you sometimes wonder why you bother reading a book that basically tells you to organise yourself better! However, having read it and implemented the bulk of the strategies I have improved my productivity no end so on that basis alone I have to give the book a thumbs up. At times it is a bit wordy and could do with cutting to the chase a bit more quickly. Overall though, for anyone who exists, as I did, in Outlook overload (1,000 items in Inbox, 30,000 in Deleted!) it is worth a read as it can help you get on top of things
on 21 October 2010
i got some good tips about using email from reading this book but it spent so much time telling me what not to do rather than what to do i got bored. life is too short so i gave up.
on 18 August 2013
I was given Bit Literacy as a gift by one who often advises me well on matters to do with technology in general and with computers in particular: with life in general also. I immediately applied one piece of advice that it gives and I would recommend buying the book for that piece of advice alone even if the rest were useless. My inbox is empty every day since and the benefits have been exponential. I am up to date with my social and other obligations as a result and that is worth ten times the cost of the book.
on 17 January 2011
This book spent far more time talking about problems rather than solutions. It would have been much better to have a shorter explanation of the problem and more in depth with the solutions.

The information in this book is pretty good and I received some good tips.

Its not a great book for the Kindle. There are many many notes which are all bundled together at the end of the book.

I would have been a little disappointed if I paid for it but as it was free its not a bad book.
on 10 August 2011
It's well documented that `information overload' is a big cause of stress and anxiety in the workplace and an overflowing email Inbox can be a major culprit. Having a poor filing system can also slow us down and make it difficult to find the information we need when we want it.

`Bit Literacy' by Mark Hurst is full of fantastically usedul (and practical) tips and advice on improving productivity in the workplace.

For example, myy favourite is the following which I recommend that you try;

- Create a new folder in your Inbox called !TO DO LIST!
- Spend some time ruthlessly reading, deleting and filing into sub-folders all remaining email that is currently sitting in your Inbox
- All emails that still require an action should be moved into the !TO DO LIST!
- The ultimate aim is to be left with a COMPLETELY empty Inbox at the end of each day (see screenshot below) and an empty !TO DO LIST! folder by the end of the week

Try it and I promise you'll be amazed by how much more efficient and productive you feel.

For more gems like this I highly recommend you read this book! :o)
on 28 July 2011
Way too basic. I am glad I did not pay for this book. It tells you how to organize emails, to dos, and other bits but its nothing innovate just common sense. There are many great tutorial and book on self organization that cover this topic in depth and are actually very helpful. Would not recommend buying but since its free you might as well give it a go.
on 15 May 2013
This book is practical and largely implementable. In an age when we are inundated with information, some necessary, much unnecessary and some unsought, it is refreshing to be shown a way to manage it and discard what is not needed.
on 8 March 2015
I think the title would better be "Basic Bit Literacy". Very basic stuff on the whole and I don't think I learnt anything from the book, which is a rare thing for me to say. If you've never used a computer before or are generally incredibly unorganized this might be a little helpful, otherwise keep your money.