4.0 out of 5 stars Definite grower

Published on 29 May 2009 by A. Macfarlane

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite grower, 28 Oct 2008
G. Whyman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
After being thoroughly disappointed with Rilo Kiley's last album I approached this with some trepidation. Thankfully this turned out to be a good listen - not immediate but a definite 'grower' after a few plays. Songs such as 'Pretty Bird' and 'Godspeed' are gorgeous, for example. I've even grown to quite like Elvis Costello's contribution to 'Carpetbaggers' which at first struck me as rough and too raw. Now I think I think it fits the song. All in all, worth a listen. Jenny Lewis is a talented writer and singer - one wonders why she needs Rilo any more as this is far superior. I do agree with the reviewer about the cover - it is shockingly bad considering the quality of the contents. No stars for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives me tingles, 24 Sep 2008
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
I must admit that the first album passed me by as did Rilo Kiley, so I guess I'm not really speaking as a Jenny expert here. But I really recommend this album to anyone looking for an album with a soul, what I mean by that is that when you listen to this it's hard to feel alone as it's as if Jenny's voice is in the room with you. The way she sings is so passionate, making it easy to get caught up in the stories she's telling, which are great by the way and have kept me coming back for more. To be honest I don't buy many cds anymore and only got this on a whim, but i'm really pleased with it and think its great value for money as it's full of hits and the sort of album you'll revisit in years to come. The only thing I don't like is the song with Elvis Costello on it as I don't like his voice, but if you're cool with him it's all good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in places, three stars are probably a little too harsh, 29 May 2009
A. Macfarlane (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
Though better than her previous effort (Rabbit Fur Coat) this is still not quite what I'd class a great album. She's got a real Loretta Lyne feel to some of the songs which is enjoyable. Some tracks are really good, Carpetbaggers (with Elvis Costello), See Fernando and the bombastic Jack Killed Mom for example. But there are also tracks that drift into the background a bit, and it doesn't really stand up well to repeated listenings.

She's got a good voice, some of the tracks are interesting and there is much of promise here; I quite enjoyed this. But I've heard better. I'd suggest downloading the better tracks rather than buying the albumn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 15 Sep 2009
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
Bought it purely because I heard the title track as the close-out tune on CSI Miami. Loved it so was compelled to get the album. Glad I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF THE PACKAGING, 23 Sep 2008
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
On first listen this is pretty good. Better than her last album or any of the Rilo Kiley albums.Very mature with lots of interesting arrangements and instrumentation. So 4 stars for the album.

However, I wouldn't usually review an album on the strength of one listen, but what I really want to do is warn prospective purchasers that this comes in a card sleeve.Something Amazon's description fails to mention. And it's not even a good card sleeve. In fact I've got cd singles with more and better packaging than this. Frankly, for nine quid this is abominable.I would only knowingly have bought this if there was no alternative.My advice to anyone wanting to buy this album is to first see if you can get it in a proper cd case.And if you're a fan of Jenny Lewis I'd certainly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as her last, 11 Jan 2009
lovemurakami "tooty2" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this, have just really discovered jenny lewis but i like her voice and her music is excellent. really like next messiah but all the tracks work well. Infact this is a great album. another reviewer commented on the packaging, but surely this is much greener packaging, better than all that plastic and stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars hippy songstress, 1 Dec 2013
everyone should own a copy of this album.It simply radiates good feelings.which in this day cannot be a bad thing

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny Lewis does it again, 3 Jan 2012
Mr. Wesley H. Winegarden "WH Winegarden" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
Why this album wasn't a best seller is beyond me, it is another top-quality release by one of the most under-rated singers in the world. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, poor edition, 22 July 2009
Andrea Mondello (Palermo, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
The CD comes in a cheap paper case, a few photos inside (none of jenny, and that's a turnoff) and no lyrics. I think amazon should have at least mentioned that.
The album is great, with "the next messiah" as the highlight and "jack killed mom" as the only song i'm not too excited about.

3.0 out of 5 stars "That difficult second album" syndrome strikes, 23 Oct 2008
S Jones (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
Jenny Lewis deserves credit for trying to not just replicate "Rabbit Fur Coat" and as other reviewers have noted this is rockier in its overall outlook. And her voice is still excellent. Sadly however, the songs just aren't as good and the album is lacking something overall.

The best songs come in a row in the middle: See Fernando, Godspeed and Carpetbaggers,her duet with Elvis Costello. Elsewhere however there are just fairly average efforts, with a couple of songs sounding like they are attempts to cash in on the Isobel Campbell/Mark Lanegan market. The title track sounds like a poor rewrite of Born Secular from "Rabbit Fur Coat" and Badman's World is just tedious.

All the way through the album one thing seemed to be missing, and after a couple of plays I realised - it's the Watson Twins' harmonies. That, plus the general songwriting quality, is what makes it a vastly inferior album to its predecessor

Acid Tongue
Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis (Audio CD - 2008)