4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a little too well scripted...?
Published on 12 Aug 2008 by A. Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Music on the go.
Bought this for my partner as he's a fan of their music but really only wanted it for the one song. Prompt delivery and arrived saftely.
Published 20 months ago by samcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a little too well scripted...?, 12 Aug 2008
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
My first impression of The Script's debut album during the first listen was that it was perfectly nice music, rather reminiscent - at times - of Coldplay as well as polished American AOR acts such as John Mayer and Five For Fighting. After the album had finished I thought that, while it was obvious that there was a certain amount of talent on display throughout their self-titled debut, it wasn't really anything particularly special. After a few more listens, however, I slowly discovered a little more of this Dublin-based three piece's appeal. Lead singer Danny O'Donoghue has a good voice which reminds me a little of Sting on certain songs, especially on 'Rusty Halo', a track which, strangely enough, has echoes of 'Ghost In The Machine'-era The Police on it.

Their lyrics are generally very good, even excellent at times, and tell often familiar stories without falling into the trap of cliché, but there isn't much here in terms of the music which has much in terms of innovation - there isn't a single track on the album which you would be able to claim was truly original. Also, on the whole, the album is a little too slick and, at times, the music feels like a carefully manufactured product which, based on the acts who have sold exceptionally well there, will probably sell them bucketloads of records in the USA, but I think the discerning and not just casual music fan may not find enough on this album for it to have a special place in their heart or collection.

To surmise, it's all very good, decent music which is probably a lot more pop than rock - I certainly wouldn't describe it as 'indie' music - and, don't get me wrong, I do like it, but there isn't enough on this album for me to love it. The picks of the album, for me, are the classy 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved', 'Rusty Halo', 'If You See Kay' and their debut single, 'We Cry'. Oddly enough, it's on the bonus track 'Anybody There' that they've come closest to producing a classic song. These guys have talent and they have bags of potential but I can't help feeling that if, musically, they concentrated less on making their songs sound commercially appealing and more on expressing the emotions contained within the lyrics via the music then they'd be able to make an album more representative of their ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Don't hesitate', 11 Aug 2008
J. E. Ashcroft (Ormskirk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
Don't hesitate to buy this album. It is amazing. Saw them at Liverpool Carling Academy last night and was blown away - by far the best gig I have seen for a long long time. Seriously, every song is brilliant. The two singles, 'We cry' and 'The man who can't be moved' are particularly good, but I really like the ballad 'I'm Yours', vocals are really powerful on this. I know I will be playing this over and over for a long time to come. The album has gone to number 1 in Ireland, let's hope it does the same in the UK. Good luck boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original? No. But..., 28 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
As other reviewers have pointed out, this album doesn't break any new musical ground. Rather, The Script fall firmly amongst a host of current rock-pop favourites - think Maroon 5, Keene, The Fray, Snow Patrol, Coldplay etc

If you find such bands too polished and 'bland', then this album probably isn't for you. But if you like well-crafted, polished and melodic songs, toe-tapping riffs, some nice harmonies, the occasional thumping piano and some nice guitar licks, then this won't disappoint. An enjoyable and accessible debut...

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly impressive debut..., 8 Mar 2011
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
Despite the fact this album is over two years old at the time of writing, I only started listening to "The Script" a couple of months ago.
I'm very glad that I did, hailing from Dublin, "The Script's" debut is a strong collection of modern pop rock ideally suited to mainstream radio.

As a result they've yielded quite a strong fan base, successful singles "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven" are the strongest moments here, and there's nothing you'd perhaps class as "filler."
Even some of the rapper moments on opening track "We Cry" don't sound uncomfortable, somehow The Script blend the piano acoustics with electric guitar brilliantly to create their rather unique sound.

Elsewhere, "The End Where I Begin" could have been a single; it's certainly one of my personal favourite tracks from the album.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this record. I usually appreciate much heavier rock music but I definitely have a soft spot for well produced and delivered pop rock.

By definition, The Script deliver exactly that. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD:), 19 Sep 2009
sdi03 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
The Script for me has to be the best band in the music industry. Their music is so inspiring and natural. In my personal opinion, I believe that every song on the album is brilliant. The members of The Script (Danny, Mark and Glen) write their own songs too; the music has come from the heart.

I find it hard to choose just one favourite song of theirs because they are all so brilliant.

I would recommend anybody to buy this album. You will not be disappointed!!

I can't wait for them to produce a new album!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars C.Kenny Dublin, 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
Have to admit that I love all kinds of music. My recent purchases have been from Coldplay to Vampire Weekend but the musical highlight of the last number of months has been this debut album from The Script.
I could spend the next two days explaining why I rate it so much but I am not. Your probaly thinking he is Irish and they like to support their own but no. My advice to you is buy it, you will not be disappointed.
Talent will always shine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting sound, 25 Nov 2008
Sunglasses - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
Purchased this album out of curiosity having seen them on MTV and was very pleasantly surprised. The sound is good mellow soul, a bit similar to Orson and certainly different to the current all out rock trend. Well worth a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irish Charm, 13 Aug 2008
Debbie (Weston-super-mare,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
I just got this album and listened to it on repeat because I was so blown away by how good it is.
Danny has a beautiful voice and the slick production makes it very polished.
My current favourite song is probably "Fall for Anything".
And the lyrics are accessible,being able to relate them to personal experiences.

All in all, a fantasticalbum and I cannot wait to see them live=]

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 12 Aug 2008
Mr. N. Robins (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
This is a truely brilliant debut album from The Script. There are touches of so many past bands & they are going to huge IMHO. So difficult to sumerise, so best you go out & buy it & make your own minds up. Great Album guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
Bought for daughter for part of birthday present and she was very pleased with product and choice of this purchase

The Script
The Script by The Script (Audio CD - 2008)