5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic dvd!
Published on 27 July 2009 by S. Livingston

2.0 out of 5 stars pathe ragbag
Published on 28 Sept. 2010 by pod

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic dvd!, 27 July 2009
S. Livingston (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd is a MUST for anyone interested in Merseyside history. There is memorable footage of many parts of this wonderful city and, as a Merseysider in my mid-60's, I found myself transported back to years and scenery long gone as faded memories came flooding back to me. Views of the old overhead railway ("the dockers' umbrella"!), the landing stage at the Pier Head, the soot-blackened Liver Building (now clean and white!) and many other iconic buidings that have graced the Liverpool skyline throughout our lives - they're all memories of Merseysider's living today! If you're one of the many thousands lucky enough to have been a part of Liverpool history, you can't afford not to see this dvd - buy it, you certainly won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A black and white newsreel fantasia, 31 Dec. 2009
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic dvd consisting of old black and white film and Pathe newsreel relating to the extraordinary history of early 20th century Liverpool. Such is Liverpool's cosmopolitan nature that this film is of interest to all who have lived in the 20th century. There are celebrities, engineering feats,royalty, sport - in fact something for everyone.
The film was made by Pathe so anyone who remembers Pathe News in the cinema will like this. It is an important document about the last century, not just Liverpool.

2.0 out of 5 stars pathe ragbag, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
Anybody expecting to find material relating to views of everyday life in the changing city will be disappointed with this dvd.It is for the most part a civic history produced by Pathe for Liverpool City Council in 1959 and seems to consist of various Pathe news items stitched together to the accompaniment of a droning commentary. The bonus items show a tedious succession of royal visits.There are very few views of Liverpool streets showing the people living their lives; instead we get three visits to the Grand National and two or three football finals.Little about the overhead railway,very little about the war years,for example.The dvd is not totally without interest speaking as a Liverpool man, but the overall effect is uninspiring and repetitive.I bought this for my eighty year old parents and they were equally underwhelmed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase., 9 Sept. 2010
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
I currently have an interest in my local history and found this to be an entertaining dvd depicting certain areas and events in Liverpool.Filmed like a 'Pathe newsreel' it covers events that occurred over the past 100 years. Well worth the money in my opinion although I would have preferred to see more footage prior to WW2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool History, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
Has a lot of good stuff about Liverpool as I remember it from my Grandad and Father. Liverpool was all about the Pierhead for me in my childhood days and this certainly hits the spot for that. I enjoyed the trip back in time but this movie is only really good for scousers and the likes of me in particular living in exile!

4.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
This arrived promptly and was watched almost immediately. It is very Interesting to see the old Liverpool. It's amazing the changes that have taken place, but it's nice to see Liverpool as it was. Would recommend this to anyone interested in the past.

2.0 out of 5 stars no subtitles options, 25 Dec. 2013
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
If you love the city you will like it, but it has no subtitles so if you don't speak English it's difficult to follow sometimes

5.0 out of 5 stars so Good, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] (DVD)
My dad was really pleased it has brought back so many memories. Good value and speedy delivey.Thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Nov. 2014
great dvd

This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD]
This In Our Time - The History Of Liverpool [DVD] by This in Our Time (DVD - 2008)