5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous voice, great songs - a winning combination!
The prime requirement to make it as a jazz or soul singer is a great voice: the rest can be learnt or bought but the voice, the thing that makes it, is your very own priceless possession. T-ka has, without a doubt, a great voice. It is a surprising voice, particularly after you see her smiling from the cover of this CD, a light brunette reclining on the grass. Little do...
Published on 26 Aug 2008 by alextorres

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably nice - over-produced?
This is an up-tempo jazzy album by a French artist produced in California via the 'Sellaband' business model, where fans invest the money to have an artist professionally recorded.

Regrettably, what you get is exactly what you would expect from this process. All the French-ness seems to have been squeezed out of T-Ka's album, which is immaculately perfect in a...
Published on 2 Sep 2008 by Martin Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard pop fare, 18 Sep 2008
A. J. Gauld (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This CD reminded me at times of very polished acts like Steely Dan - but without the flair. It has all the instrumental polish, snappy tunes and clear diction in the lyrics which were sung in tune. Sadly though there just didn't seem to be any magic. After listening through 4 or 5 times I still can't remember any songs, not even the hook lines. There is loads of potential here but unless you are already a fan I doubt if this will make many converts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly funky, 18 Sep 2008
Robert Frampton "Rob Frampton" (Dartford, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just goes to show you should never judge a CD by its cover, because I was expecting this to be much more of a Fiona Apple-ish proposition than the bluesy-blast of the opening title track actually delivered: proper, acoustic blue-eyed soul hollering with not a little jazzy swagger. A pity, then, that the rest of the album doesn't quite deliver on this opening promise...
T-ka's voice remains strong and nicely rough-edged, and the band is suittably tight and funky, but the songs themselves are a little... underwhelming. I can imagine that she's a good live night out and the SellABand investors will be happy to have funded this album, but a little more light and shade and some experimentation in the songwriting is definitely called for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Jazz, 18 Sep 2008
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
in a crowded market of female vocalists, french star T-Ka sets herself apart with her jazzy style and bluesy swagger. The opening title track is one for the laid back, summer days, despite the opening line being "You can come to my funeral".

5 in the morning is a bit more funky, Flyin' is a bit more ballad, but the highlights for me are Midnight City, a delicious song that feels like you're in a late night cab driving through New York or London, and Terror, a sinister ending with a personal theme.

4.0 out of 5 stars And maybe a tree will rise out of me, 16 Sep 2008
Mrs. H. L. Little - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well the album title is a perfect reflection of the music. Interesting and it made me want to dig a little deeper into it. There's plenty of trumpeting, tromboning and tuba-ing on here which will always keep me happy as I enjoy a bit of jazz.
T-ka has an interesting and slightly unusual voice which for the most part I really enjoyed. I probably wouldn't have thought much about it normally but knowing I would be reviewing it I took a great deal more interest in the vocal range which is impressive.
My favourite tracks were the more easily accessible ones like Will You and Flyin which had a cool groove to them.
This won't be to everyone's taste but if you give it a chance and persevere with it there is a lot to like about this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing offensive but nothing outstanding either, 11 Sep 2008
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Considering this album features a completely unknown artist it is quite good. Nothing on here that I would expect to feature on any of the various music charts, but listening is a pleasant way to pass an hour or so.

One thing to note is that the album does not stick to one style. It varies from easy listening to semi-pop. Perhaps tka has not made her mind up as to which genre she wants to belong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good On The First Listen, 6 Sep 2008
M. R. Jones (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I started playing this CD I was quite surprised at the quality of the music and her vocals. It was a nice change to some of the things I usually listen to in my spare time.

Maybe I did find it a little repetitive and slow in places, but I still enjoyed it.

Second listen......stopped playing after a few minutes. It doesn't stand up to repeat listening and gets boring very quickly. And I quickly forgot how nice some of the songs were.

It fall flats some way off the mark, and I feel that perfects some more interesting songs would have given her better standing.

Its well produced, and she sounds good....but the excitement just levels off after a short while.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh. Dear., 6 Sep 2008
C. Porter (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this, and the jazz chops are all there from the musicians, but....

Oh. Dear.

The lyrics are mawkish to the point of toe-curling awfulness, the subject matter is crushingly depressing for the most part and just doesn't sit comfortably with the deftness and 'lite'-ness of the music.

"Flyin'" is a good moment, but ultimately this artist's voice (which is reminiscent of both Jacqui Dankworth and Alison Moyet) doesn't have the panache or durability of either. She sings in a clipped, mannered style which makes her seem afraid of sustaining a note for fear of us noting her shortcomings in terms of tone. There is some pitchiness to the delivery, too - but it is deliberate, I'm sure, and meant to imbue proceedings with emotion, but ultimately this never quite works, and doesn't connect.

A shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...potentially, a great talent..., 5 Sep 2008
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For those of you who haven't heard of Sellaband, it's a website where artists can find investors willing to provide upfront costs for producing and album. T-ka raised $50,000 thanks to 684 investors, and this is the result.

And it was a very good investment. Parisian T-Ka (as in chicken) writes her jazz-tinged soulful pop in English, and has used her 50k wisely, heading off to California to record and pulling in some big name sessioneers to flesh out her material with the likes of Jeff Pevar (Ray Charles, Crosby Stills & Nash) on guitars and Stevie Di Stanislao (David Gilmour, Crosby Stills & Nash) on drums.

The album sounds sumptuous, especially on songs which match up to it like 'Midnight City' and 'On The Other Side Of The Ocean', and even the lesser numbers have production values and performances which hit above their weight. However, there are a good few lesser numbers which meander aimlessly. 'I Will Never Replace' is probably the best example of where things miss and the hip hop of the closing 'Terror' is a poorly judged mis-step.

There is an uplifting quality to the material and to T-Ka's voice which makes the album very listenable, even when she is ruminating on the sadder aspects of life (and death). She is a very good singer and there is definitely a market out there for her grown up jazzy pop, but now she'll need to do the roadwork to get her music out there.

Hopefully, there is a lot more to come from a very promising perfomer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little lacking in polish but a great acid jazz vibe, 5 Sep 2008
The Penguin "JH" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This record proudly proclaims that it was paid for by the fans, and now and again, this comes through in the production values - there's a tiny bit of the old reeves and mortimer "club singer" in the first song, but it doesn't suffer for that (strangely)
The closest comparison I can come up with is late 90's Brand New Heavies - there's definitely a real Acid Jazz sound coming through - which I really enjoyed.
I think that this will be an artist we'll see more of, I suspect, however, that she's in a bit of a niche market to be hitting the charts - but what do I know? - Buy this record - I very much doubt you'll have any real cause to regret doing so. (For some reason, this was published as "a kid's review! - cheers Amazon, I'm 32!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a song will grow on you, 5 Sep 2008
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
T-ka is a French modern jazz style artist, her latest album `And maybe a tree will rise out of me..' is, has previously been stated in other reviews, one of Sellaband's new albums, released with the help of funding by fans.

I must confess I was ready to give up on this album from the strength of the first track `And maybe a tree will rise out of me..' which is also the title track, but luckily I persevered. The problem with this initial track is that T-ka herself has a certain kind of voice that works in some cases and not in others. The nearest comparison I can think of to this is Shakira, though T-ka certainly isn't in her league when it comes to her music.

From the second track onwards things do improve. The music style ranges from modern Jazz to laid back `coffee time' music. Unfortunately, the final track `Terror', which is obviously a heartfelt song about the events of 9-11, goes right back to the feel of the title track and ruins the effect. Interestingly, it also features a cameo from Ambytionz Chyldren (who I assume is a stereotypical rapper-for-hire, but I could be doing him a dis-service), but this only has the effect of jarring against the feel of T-ka's own voice even more.

So, strip out the first and last track and you have a fairly good album. Lyrically, not that strong, but it always feels as if her heart is in the right place, even if the words aren't.

And Maybe A Tree Will Rise Out Of Me
And Maybe A Tree Will Rise Out Of Me by T-Ka (Audio CD - 2008)