Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Contemporary|Change

on 21 July 2010
I seem to get through a pepper grinder every two years before they give up the ghost. I am hoping this will last much longer given the reputation of Good Grips. To date this grinder has been excellent, very well designed, comfortable to use, and easy to change the grind size. The rubber grip makes life easier and it doesnt leave pepper on your worktops as it the grinding end is at the top when you stand it on the worksurface. All in all a great buy.
55 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2013
I had high hopes for this to be 'the one' but after a few months use, I'd say it's adequate, but not perfect.

Why is it that those cheap plastic grinders that are sold full of pepper in the supermarkets are so brilliant (while they last), and why can't someone make a longer lasting version of that? This grinder works okay about half the time. The other half I find myself having to tap, bang and muck around with the settings function to get any sort of grind at all. It's an okay product, ergonomically satisfying, just don't be expecting the perfect long-lasting grinder.

Honestly, am I going to have to spend nigh on thirty quid now to try the next choice up the price range? It's a first world problem :)
Maybe I'll just stick to trusty old pestle & mortar.
on 26 January 2015
Loved it so much that I bought second one.
I honestly can't see difference between salt and pepper grinder from this model, so I'd suggest buy which ever one is cheaper.
You can set size of the mil, from almost a powder, to bigger crushed pepper corns.
I've been using for almost two years and I can see slight wear off of the mill.
But it doesn't bother me at all.Still works perfectly, when set to, all sizes.

From pepper I can see hardly any powder left over on worktop when stored like in the picture.From salt there is little bit left, but I think that's because I'm using Salt flakes rather then Crystals.
I like how they 'melt' on my tomatoes :)

I'd recommend this grinder to everybody, definitely worth the money.
review image
on 25 August 2011
This is a very robust grinder, easy to adjust size of grains. Best one I've ever had. So good I bought the salt grinder too.
on 28 January 2012
bought oxo pepper grinder after trying many local grinders,but nothing came near to this oxo.very simple twisting as you have rubber grip to twist and multiple options from coarse to fine.satisfied with this purchase
on 5 February 2013
I love pepper as does my husband and years ago we bought a very pretty wooden pepper mill which we have used without problem - accepting that there is always a residue of ground pepper left over. A little messy, but an expected result outweighed by enjoying freshly ground pepper whenever required without too much fuss. I confess over the years it has really begun to niggle - this residue in the cupboard, on the table, on the counter - despite the nifty little plastic lid from something or other which was just a little bigger than the grider base. I saw the upside down mills for salt and pepper and they looked like a gimmicky novelty (lots of those in kitchen depts as you know!). However on a whim I decided to give the Oxo Good Grips pepper grinder a try - and am not sorry. It is an excellent product with all the virtues and no sins I have discovered after months of use. It is straightforward to fill (unscrew the top,there is no central spinal core and locking nut holding it all together!) easy-peasy. The grinder feels robust in use and grinds the peppers to just the degree you require - from really robustly coarse to the finest dusting - all tastes catered for by a simple lever/dial rotation. Thus as it passes round the table each individual taking pepper is free to choose how coarse/fine and how much they require, and it leaves not the slightest sign of its being there on the table afterwards, not one grain of ground pepper .. What more could you ask for - I cannot fault it and would recommend it to you.
on 28 January 2010
This pepper mill actually works.In the past we have always been dissapointed despite spending a lot more than this was. In conjunction with its partner the OXO Salt Mill they work great and also loook good on the table.
on 28 November 2013
Having previously used the 'traditional' wooden grinders (nice to look at, in a nostalgic, 70's trattoria sort of way, but the bottom rusts eventually and the grinding oomph diminishes, too - plus filling is so darned fiddly!), then moved on to the battery operated ones (huge battery casing, 4 x AA's required, etc, but miniscule pepper container and the ones I bought fell to pieces after about 9 months or so) - decided to buy this as I have the OXO Good Grips shears (excellent!) and the vegetable parer (haven't used yet, but looks very good quality) - not disappointed at all. (Mildly annoying, but after ordering this 'top flight' one, found the 'lesser mortal' in Morrisons for £8, but got that and kept it for cooking, this 'beast' is for the table!). Love the easy dial for graded grinding, an absolute breeze to fill and use (comes with peppercorns and has a huge capacity so you're not re-filling every 5 minutes), and the fact the 'outlet' is on the top means no mess. If you've the funds, get several for varying peppercorns (pink, green, etc) - otherwise stick to a pestle and mortar like I do! Hope it lasts, looks like it will, very robust and nice to handle. Thanks OXO, love your products! Recommended.
on 1 December 2013
I have tried many pepper grinders over the years and they have all been pretty pathetic. I have always seemed to have needed to grind away for ages to get any significant amount of pepper to emerge. This grinder is totally different. The construction is leaps and bounds above any others I have used. It is weighty and well made with quality materials.

It has two unusual but welcome features. Firstly, it stands with the grinder facing upwards so that ground pepper is not always left behind wherever you stand it. Secondly, you have the ability to change the coarseness of the grinding by sliding a control. It seems to range from the normal coarseness you would expect, up to extremely coarse. I would expect most people to leave it on one of the two finest settings.

The best thing about this grinder is the ease with which it grinds. A considerable amount of ground pepper is produced for each rotation of the rubberised base. Just a few turns is all that is normally required to provide enough pepper.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with this grinder.
on 24 February 2012
Whenever I am looking for a kitchen product, I always check to see if Good Grips have one and know it will be of the highest standard. So I was quite happy to pay for what I expected to be a great pepper grinder. It looks great and feels lovely in the hand, is nice and easy to use and has lots of settings. However, even on the lowest setting the pepper that comes out is in pretty large chunks, I can't imagine that anyone would have it on anything but the lowest setting. There are times when I'd like a powder rather than bits and this is impossible with this product. For the price I thought it was disappointing and I've got the old cheap one back out to use instead.