5.0 out of 5 stars A very good prog album
Fantastic album from Keith Emerson and very fine vocals from Mr Bonilla quite in the tune of Greg Lake! very good!

Published on 23 Oct 2008 by PLourenco

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..............
Published on 31 Oct 2008 by Tony the Soprano

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good prog album, 23 Oct 2008

Last year Jordan Rudess have issued an album "way back home" with a very interesting cover version of "Tarkus" something that made me think how an album from Emerson Lake and Palmer would be welcomed, since that seems to be very difficult, this Keith Emerson's new album is surely the best we can get now... buy it it's a good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maestro is Back!, 28 Sep 2008
Carla Huntington "Carla :)" (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This just shows that some things can better with age! The music on this cd has all the creativity of the Keith Emerson of the 70's, yet has been tailored with a classy modern edge of today. Mark Bonilla's vocals and the talents of the band are a great showcase for this master of the keyboards. New energy, new imagination, and the sound that only Keith can produce. Any fan of ELP will be happily surprised. Bravo Mr. Emerson!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back..., 12 Nov 2008
Welcome Back Keith, to the show that never ends.
Not since "Brain Salad Surgery" or perhaps "Works Volume 1" with E.L.P has the master created a truly Prog. Album. With Marc Bonilla, Gregg Bissonette and Bob Birch, Keith Emerson is doing what he does best. Progressive Rock. I recived my copy yesterday and havn't had it off the player. Like "B.S.S" it grows on you each time you play it. This is the album of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big surprise, 2 Nov 2008
The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I wasn't expecting much from Emerson - let's face it, since the wonderful soundtrack to Inferno, there's not been much to talk about - but this was a real surprise. The opening suite of songs flows together nicely, but never gets over indulgant, and the final tracks are excellent standalones - including a wonderful ballad by Marc Bonilla, who really does deserve his name on the front cover.

The album sounds like the missing ELP album that should have come after Brain Salad Surgery. Emerson parps, toots and grinds along to all the songs, but is capable of calming down when the songs require some gentle piano.

Those yearning for the return of ELP may well find this surpasses what ELP have done 1975, and bodes well for Emerson who seems to have found his niche here. Let's hope this band continues and isn't broken up by more damp squib ELP reunions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, 7 Jan 2009
C. JONES "CJ" (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
This is something unexpected - a new Keith Emerson outing that any fan will surely consider an instant classic. It is progressive rock writ large and we all know that has it's enemies, but for the faithful this has to be an event.

The main piece is an interpretation of a ghost story in 15 segments, incorporating a wide variety of keyboard and guitar effects. This is quite inspiring and some of its elements would work very well as stand-alone songs.

Marc Bonilla (vocals, guitars) is new to me, but a real find. There are some very haunting guitar moments here and an accomplished vocal style, which compliments Emerson's work wonderfully.

There are four stand-alone pieces which are varied, all exciting in their own ways, adding up to a well-rounded album which has been growing on me since I first bought it late last year.

I am writing this to replace my previous review which was ecstatic but probably not very helpful. Suffice to say the ecstacy has not yet abated.

More! More!

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing- The Art of Falling Down- Prelude to Hope, 21 April 2013
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is not a review just a list of the tracks that appear on the CD.
Amazon do not seem to have listed them on the listing for the actual CD and DVD set.
(The MP3 download of course will list them)

This may be useful if you want to cut and paste when and if you transfer you CD to your hard drive, Brennan or whatever.
Album Tracks

1. Ignition
2. 1st Presence
3. Last Horizon
4. Miles Away, Pt. 1 (White Widow)
5. Miles Away, Pt. 2 (Black Flame)
6. Sonata
7. Fugue
8. 2nd Presence
9. Marche Train
10. Blue Inferno
11. 3rd Presence
12. Prelude to Hope
13. Place to Hide
14. Miles Away, Pt. 3 (Spirit Rising)
15. Finale
16. Art of Falling Down
17. Malambo
18. Gametime
19. Parting

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but.............., 31 Oct 2008
I have mixed feelings about this album, my expectations were not particularly high so in many respects I have been very pleasantly surprised. Keith's playing throughout is top notch, there is lots of blistering Hammond reminiscent of the early days of ELP and in the jazz improvisers tradition he playfully quotes from various old pieces during solos. The first fifteen tracks (yes fifteen!) form a long suite which holds together rather nicely with some very strong material, much of which is thankfully instrumental. This is definitely the best thing KE has done since the 1970's. However, there are a few things that spoil it for me; firstly Marc Bonilla. Keith Emerson does not need a guitar player in his band (and I speak as a guitar player myself!), let alone one who although technically proficient, has no identity of his own, no distinctive qualities and pretty much nothing to offer the music at all. His vocals too are non-descript; a typical American rock voice that could be anybody. Secondly, the drummer; he is what I would call a "tub thumper", a player who would be more suited to a heavy rock band, no finesse, no subtlety, no grace and very little flair, certainly no Carl Palmer or Brian Davison. Added to the guitar and the drums is the awful production; it has a very cold harsh feel to my ears, again like a modern heavy rock record. So to sum up I would say, great music in a retro style (nothing wrong with that!) but the band and the production let it down. The sad thing is that there are plenty of superb musicians who would compliment keith so much better than these guys (off the top of my head how about Denis Clement and Colin Bass from the now defunct Camel?). To me the ironic thing about this project is that it doesn't sound like a "band" at all, it sounds like Keith Emerson plus hired session musicians to back him up. Still having said all that, I'll definitely go if they tour and hopefully I will be proved wrong about the rest of the band and they will be great...fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different does not mean bad!!, 24 Mar 2011
Idiots who say things Like "this is more of a Bonilla album" and "I would have prefered it if it were an ELP album" just don't get it!! This album is a gem! It's not trying to be something it isn't and it's not a repeat of earlier works. It has everything. And, being that its not ELP, it will certainly have more smiles than anything involving Greg Lake. Also, the drumming is Jaw Dropping, I love Carl Palmers work, but I'm afraid that in later years his kit is sounding more like a pileof cardboard boxes being belted about. Swear at me if you like, but I have been listening to these literally for most of my life, and I don't listen to it through earphones with roses round the outside. I hear whats there, and whats on this album is great stuff. This is one of my 'feel good' albums and will always proudly be included in my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emersonian A La Recherche du Mojos Perdues ?, 13 Sep 2010
Nick Braithwaite "old nick" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
While I first encountered Emerson during his glory days with The Nice, the ride since has been a little bumpy and being a contrary old what-not, I refuse to be a slavish fan of any musician. Initially, I was not at all sure what to make of this knife-wielding maniac and his apparently gleeful attacks on defenseless Hammond organs. Particularly as on this first introduction, I had been trying to persuade my poor mum that not all popular music was a horrible row when up pops the lad from Worthing, filling the TV screen with the evidence of a sustained assault not only on a screeming organ but also upon the music of Grieg and Bernstein.
However, once I had got over the shock, I was persuaded to give the Nice a chance to redeem themselves, ignore Emerson's knife-throwing act and actually listen to the music. (I don't think mum, who had briefly studied piano at the Royal Academy in her youth, ever fully recovered!) By and by, The Nice gave way to ELP and for a while Emerson seemed to go from strength to strength. He had set the bar very high early on, so perhaps it was not so surprising that this would be a hard act to sustain. For me, he ran out of steam and began to resemble the caricature his many critics had drawn of him and only occasionally showed his true talent. Fast forward to the "Noughties" and enter American guitarist Mark Bonilla, of whom I know absolutely nothing, but who also seems to have had very definite ideas of where Emo's talents lie and was determined to bring them to the fore, once more. I had seen evidence of their collaboration on a Moogfest DVD and was thus encouraged to explore the album under review. A highly unorthodox, dark and moody intro gives way to some more obvious Emerson trade-marks and then definite signs of a re-energised talent start to emerge. The result bears little resemblance to either Nice or ELP but is nonetheless a good, solid and driving rock-centered exploration of various influences of two musicians who obviously enjoy working together, ably supported by a great rhythm section. Most of the album is one continuous piece, whose various themes are not over-extended - each moving quite swiftly on to the next. Songs are seasoned with instrumental passages, but neither outstay their welcome. Emerson has fresh fire in his belly, on this evidence. Bonilla's guitar work provides a great foil to Emerson's keyboards. His voice reminds me of John Wetton, if anyone - clear and powerful. He deserves great credit for applying a much-needed catalyst to Emerson's mojo.
I find this album a refreshing return to form by a supreme talent who had fallen by the wayside and would
thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who had drifted away for similar reasons. I would urge you to spend a little extra and get the "plus DVD" edition, which features a lengthy documentary as well as live versions of some old ELP favourites, played by Emerson & Bonilla with a different rhythm section to the rest of the album. The documentary shows the enthusiasm of the pair for this project, along with an excruciating pun from Emerson. It ends with him warning a mischievous-looking Bonilla not to touch the looming Moog, with predictable results. As an ex-drummer, I can confirm that guitarists are not to be trusted!(I like to think I've gone one better than Emerson by training my own Moog to speak for itself on such occasions.) Why only four stars? Nobody gets five in my book, I'm afraid;there's always room for improvement. This is, nonetheless, a superb album.

4.0 out of 5 stars The "Trilogy" formula with more tracks..., 17 Jun 2009
D. S. Robson "dsrobson" (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
Keith Emerson Band: Featuring Marc Bonilla: +DVD

If you were one of those people who walked around with the black vinyl copy of Trilogy (Emerson, Lake and Palmer) under your arm years ago, you will know what I mean. Trilogy had rock, synthesizers, classical sounding piano, more rock, a novelty track, and bits lifted from classical music in abundance. It was moody, or punchy, or amusing, depending on which track you put the needle on. The wonders of digital access make track selection easier and this CD has even more choice. The starting tracks are very "avant-garde", which you either get or you don't. I have read some criticism of this CD as lacking tunes and having too much arrangement, but I think that is untrue. The avant garde stuff is just that. The bits I don't get, fewer than about 4 minutes worth, I will dump in favour of the rest, which is great. If you really do want to sample "no tune and all arrangement", try Steely Dan's "Two against nature" as that will fit the bill admirably. Or maybe you could try Stravinski's "Rakes Progress', though I hesitate to suggest this, as I only saw and heard half of it, and dared not return for more lest I lost the will to live.

If you like Keith Emerson's penchant for slipping in bits of other songs, you can listen to this and recognise "Jupiter" from Holst's Planets suite (or purists might tell me it is "Thaxted" the hymn version, but I wouldn't know) and a bit out of West Side Story "Somethings coming", and, to my ears at least, he has a bit of a reprise of the "Pirates" stuff he wrote himself.

Mark Bonilla is clearly a very good axe-man, but I wonder if the fact that at times he sounds eerily like Greg Lake might also have something to do with the partnership. Shades of Trilogy again perhaps?

The track from Estancia Suite is beautifully discordant and I love it, but you need a couple of listens to get it. It is a grower track, not so much a grabber.

So why only four stars? I can hardly dock all of one star just because I don't get the opening couple of tracks, but track 14, Miles Away, Part 3 is what looses them all of a star. It is such a stunningly good piece of rock music, the final minute and a half of which has Mark Bonilla making runs up and down the fret-board, and Keith Emerson making absolutely wonderful fills in the background, that I just want it to go on for ten more minutes, and in the same vein. It doesn't, and it is such a shame, the disappointment drops the rest of the star!

I am still playing this CD regularly, but if you did carry round a black vinyl copy of "Trilogy", well, like me, you are old enough for people to expect you to be curmudgeonly, and sometimes, one can really warm to the task!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

KEITH EMERSON BAND
KEITH EMERSON BAND by Keith Emerson (Audio CD - 2009)