4.0 out of 5 stars Superb series poor dvd contents
Published on 15 Mar. 2009 by Anastasios Skoyrogloy

2.0 out of 5 stars no subtitles
I love House but was very dissapointed that this version does not have subtitles. There is a lot of mumbling going on and being hard of hearing made the plot very difficult to follow.
I may have overlooked on the resumee that there were no subtitles. Perhaps it would be possible to make this clearer on the advery
Published on 10 Feb. 2009 by V. E. Cheshire

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb series poor dvd contents, 15 Mar. 2009
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I am a huge fans of the series . So i found this package to be a bargain . I speak english in a high level and understand it very well . But since the series is filled with medical terms i hoped it would have english subtitles at least for the hearing impaired . But guess what ? There were no subs ... My parents who love this show and needed the subs since they are so good at understanding spoken english were dissapointed because they could not easily follow the series . Its a shame to have such a series in a dvd in the year 2009 without any subs ...
And the producers complain about their series being distributed in divx format in the internet where you can find them with subs in all languages ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entertainment, 3 Jan. 2009
Christian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
In any box set there is a requirement for extras to give the full experience, and this one has it in spades. In addition to an interview with members of the cast there are outtakes, and an extremely amusing valley girl take on certain episodes.

The stories are rich and Hugh Laurie draws you in more and more as the episodes go on. His performance is well judged and a central point all of the other characters. He is the ultimate anti-hero and yet you do find yourself willing him on, even when it is apparent that he does not have any good intentions, just a drive to treat his patient. This trait sets it apart from the other medical dramas that are out there.

My only critism is the lack of subtitles available, this certainly would provide an issue for some viewers of the programme.

Overall I would say go get, unless you are waiting for the enlarged version that will inevitably come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching a box set of 4 series of a medical drama might seem a tad repetitive but House manages it with ease., 7 Sept. 2009
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)

I am not a big fan of medical drama for example I felt that ER ran out of steam after 2 or 3 series.

The nature of House makes it particularly difficult to sustain audience interest. Without giving anything away, in every show there will be some sick people, they will not respond to the first treatment, in fact it will probably make them worse, there will be a barrage of medical terms, a battery of test and there will be an outcome where normally a person will recover or occasionally die. Oh and the occasional cliff hanger.

How House manages to sustain interest is still a bit of a mystery to me. There are very few characters (only 6) which allows greater depth than most dramas. But really the whole concept revolves around House himself. His flaws, his humour, his outrageousness are compelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good series, 11 Aug. 2009
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I won't go into the drama aspects at all - I figure you must know what you are getting from this. Just to clarify the contents of the set: Seasons 1 thru 4, with some good extras - Hugh Laurie screen test for the part; and background to the series by the creators. Some episodes with audio commentary.
Although the info states that Seasons 1 and 2 are 4:3 and others are widescreen, I found that only Season 1 was 4:3 (encoded as widescreen so you need to manually set the aspect ratio to avoid distortion). Season 2 definitely appears to be widescreen.

There is an annoying copy protection ad at the end of each episode, but if you hit 'menu' over the closing credits this can be avoided.

Overall very good value, and an excellent series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what i was concerned about, 7 Aug. 2009
Amazon Customer (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I am entirely pleased with my purchase. I knew about this program and have been watching the latest episodes, however i wanted the other series which is why i bought this product. I had been very confindent before i added it to my basket, before i did that, however, i checked the customer reviews just to make sure. Now, this is where my problems started. i saw there were a variety of ratings, and even the five star ones all complained about the lack of subtitles. This barely concerned me, but when i read the lower rated opinions, they said things like they wanted the subtitles and were dreadfully shocked by the absence, especially due to a lot of mumbling from the characters. I was starting to get a little put off by this stage, but thankfully i bought the product in the hope that the very strong opinions of other reviews were exaggerated.I am now a good half way through the dvds and i haven't once complained about mumbling, or the need of subtitle - in fact, if i hadn't read the reviews, i wouldn't have even noticed that they were non-existant.
Now, i do understand, and take fully into my consideration that the lack of subtitles may cause trouble for select audiences. For example, somebody with very, very poor hearing may need to turn up their TV a bit, and might appreciate the added support, and also one who does not have a full grasp of the english language would also benefit from this. For these people, yes it is disfortunate and my sympathies to you.
For anybody out there who enjoys, or think they might enjoy HOUSE, this is a great product - please, please don't let the over exaggerated ramblings of the other reviews put you off, like they very nearly did me. And, for those of you who want the subtitles due to language barriers, all i can say is; it'll help your English!

2.0 out of 5 stars no subtitles, 10 Feb. 2009
V. E. Cheshire (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars No subs again!, 23 Feb. 2009
Mrs. K. Rustman (Essex, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love the series, and have watched them all on TV and would highly recommend it. I would happily order the boxset but as per usual with the R2 editions there are no subtitles. As a person with hearing issues this is a big problem for me and I will therefore have to try and get R1's version as I believe this to be subtitled......

1.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles = no stars for the dvd boxset., 21 Aug. 2009
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
After spending several months of quality time with my 93 year old grandfather, watching and thoroughly enjoying The West Wing together, we decided we wanted to find something else that we could watch and both enjoy. Having caught a few episodes of House on Channel Five (when it was still on 5) I thought it might be something he might enjoy as well.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise until after purchasing this 1-4 boxset that there were no subtitles included. Rubbish! At 93 my grandfather relies on the subtitles to fully enjoy a programme, especially when people are speaking quickly, or using jargon. I must admit that I didn't even think to find out whether this included subtitles, I presumed (foolishly) that they would be a standard feature. We were so disappointed.
So, whilst I am sure that the show is very good, and deserves all the many starred reviews it has been given, as far as I am concerned, the fact that they haven't even tried to cater for the hard of hearing (who surely deserve to watch the same great things as those who are able to hear easily) means they get nothing from me.
Please, please, please, would all producers of dvds include a subtitle track.
I have given this a single star as I am unable to publish this review if I do not do so.
My actual score is zero.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great but without subtitles, 9 Mar. 2010
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Great TV Series but poorly packaged DVD - why without the subtitles, and why such poor extra content? This one is going back...

5.0 out of 5 stars House Seasons 1-4, 4 Feb. 2009
PAUL ASKEY "FRED" (SKEGNESS LINCOLNSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
House - Season 1-4 - CompleteWelcome to Dr Gregory House,the kind sensitive and caring doctor,NOT. Yes he has no bedside manner he treats his staff with his dry sarcasum he's rude. Well you get the picture. So why does everyone of his staff look up to him? And Cuddy she employ him. Because he is brilliant at solving complicated cases other doctors dismiss. Yes he's not a people person but he saves their lives.
Hugh Laurie,plays House as a convincing American, and with a brilliant cast sparkling and sharp script and to watch Chase,Cameron,Foreman and his only friend Wilson be put through their paces Medically and emotionally,this is a must buy.Enjoy because if your life depended on it you need some like HOUSE.

House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD]
House - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] by Hugh Laurie (DVD - 2008)