Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 3 November 2008
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a wonderful film! Audrey Tatou (of Amelie fame) is an excellent actress and shines in this film. She looks stunning throughout.

Audrey Tatou is Irene, a lady or questionable morals, who is a gold digger, meeting men and spending their money on a lavish lifestye - jewelery, clothes, hotel suites etc. One night she meets Jean, played by Gad Elmaleh, who is a waiter she mistakes for a wealthy man. Not wanting to reveal his true identity he pretends he is rich. When Irene finds out she is not pleased but by this time Jean is smitten and willingly spends his life savings trying to give her what she wants. Irene willingly takes it all and then dumps him when the money runs out. Stranded in a hotel with no way to pay the bill, Jean finds himself an older woman and soon finds himself in Irene's business!. As Irene teaches Jean the tricks of the trade she starts to realise that some things in life are worth more than money!

This is a touching and very funny comedy. the actors are flawless and the locations are beautiful. If you like French language films or romantic comedies this film is a must, you wont be dissapointed!
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Yes, we all know Audrey Tautou is beautiful and can act and Gad Elmaleh has style but formula is formula. I admit that we like to see the same formulas over repeatedly; some movies are just fun to watch even when we know the general just of the story and the outcome. However, there comes a time when trying to remake a classic can get boring. This is one of those times. Perhaps it is just because we're spending more time watching subtitles. Then again, I have the feeling that everybody is just going through motions.

The general story is of course a gold digger who mistakes somebody for being rich. This film expands on this mistaken identity and allows the tables to be turned with a few standard twists. I suggest that if you like this type of film that you really should watch "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" (1998) as it has the same feel but more depth.
on 8 October 2008
I have just seen this film at the cinema and can't rate it highly enough. Even my partner who doesn't exactly share my love of French movies and came along under duress enjoyed it (helped I suspect by the stunning Audrey Tautou!).

You can't help but warm to the characters despite their dubious 'profession' and the film is sharp, genuinely funny and warm without any Hollywood syrupyness or sexing up. A special mention has to go to Gad Elmaleh who was perfect as the endearing and enduring (and gorgeous) Jean.

A genuine romantic comedy without the dreadful girly/meg ryan-esque/hollywood connotations if that makes sense!
You dont have to be into French cinema to love this, but if you like Amelie, Audrey Tautou or just good movies then I'd recommend this.
44 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2010
There is not much to add to the many reviews of this film here, but I was particularly struck by the fact that when I watched it in Paris in French I thought it was average. That I think is a marker of how much more inventive and intellectually nuanced the French are when it comes to making/writing romantic comedy. A few months later I watched it with a group of friends in English and I thought it was brilliant. Thinking about it, I realised that in English I was comparing it to the masses of lightweight romcoms we get bombarded with by Hollywood, with every sitcom star going on to do a romcom or two, with barely any real changes in the scripts. Having said that, however you approach it, Audrey Tatou is absolutely convincing (as usual), comedian Gad Elmaleh is fantastically cast as the initially bumbling but quick-learning and increasingly savvy male lead and veteran actress Marie-Christine Adam is so very good as Madeleine. Definitely worth watching, maybe rent instead of buy because you wouldn't want to watch it too many times unless you have a thing for one of the actors.
VINE VOICEon 8 August 2009
I love Audrey Tautou. I love French humour. Amelie, Le Dinér de Cons, Taxi 1 & 2 etc.

Both my wife and I eagerly anticipated this DVD as the trailer looked funny and quirky.

However, it really was quite a disappointment. Audrey plays her character well and convincingly. It was a pleasant enough script but no laugh-out-loud moments at all. Some bits made one smile but otherwise not particularly funny, which is a shame because it seemed like it had so much more potential.

However, if you are unwell and really need a movie that doesn't require brain-power but will make you smile then this is it.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2011
We were feeling really low afternoon and we watched this and it really cheered us up.

Fun story, well paced, great acting. Clever editing.

If you like this, you'll love Heartbreaker.Heartbreaker (L'arnacoeur) [DVD] (2010)
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2008
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A typically stylish French souffle, this film featuring the ever-winsome Audrey Tautou has plenty of chuckles as it saunters to its (rather predictable) conclusion.

Tautou, as a girl with an eye for old men with more money than sense, is looking for a man to keep her in clover for life. After a misunderstanding she punishes the waiter who she mistook for a millionaire. He then finds himself in a gigolo role similar to her own lifestyle.

The film doesn't make any profound points about the shallowness of society but then it probably didn't set out to. It's a frothy comedy, highly implausible but blessed by charming performances by its main actors.
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really enjoyable French comedy of manners. As a plot it is tissue-thin but the principals manage to make it both funny and touching.

Our heroine is dedicated to marrying a rich man, or being entertained by one (or more) in the interim. She mistakes the penniless waiter at a Biarritz Hotel for such a 'mark'. He falls for her in turn and pursues her to Nice where he becomes a gigolo himself. That rather tawdry plot is played with so much charm that it overcomes its own limits. The acting is spot-on, and the observation of humans in this predatory environment is likewise. The ending is very romantic but somehow not very believable.
on 4 November 2015
This is a cute French movie I purchased to help me listen to and understand French. The fact I enjoyed it was a real surprise. I will be watching it again as I did enjoy it very much.
on 6 July 2014
I was very disappointed by this dvd. I thought it would be a story of romance but instead it's one about a street-wise woman who uses rich men to exploit them.