• Tracy

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 October 2008
One of my favourite singles as a child was "When Julie Comes Around" by the Cuff Links. It had a dramatic sparse intro, a bit of vocal, a bass phrase, before there was a thwack of drums and the rest of the group (except I know now that it wasn't a group but more of a studio concoction) came in. Almost 40 years later, idly flicking through Record Collector, I see a Cherry Red ad for the Cuff Links' 'Tracy' album. And a week later here I am listening to a strangely schizophrenic bubblegum album which veers from the upbeat ("Tracy", "When Julie Come Around") to the melancholic "All The Young Women", "Where Do You Go". The songs are largely written by the Vance Pockriss songwriting team with all the vocal parts sung by Ron Dante who, for the 0.1% of people reading this who don't know, also sung the vocals on the Archie's "Sugar Sugar". This won't change your life but for those of us of a certain vintage it's a hugely enjoyable shortcut to a golden age of pop. The lead single "Tracy" is so simple but so effective. Of course at the time I owned the Julie single I had no idea who Ron Dante was. It was only many years later that I learned that he was a bubblegum pop legend who fronted more than one group. As to the album as a whole - although this is very entertaining I have to be honest and give it three stars as there is some filler and an ill judged cover of "Sweet Caroline". It's certainly worth listening to though.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2008
The Cuff Links typify a passage in pop history when songwriting teams and publishing companies churned out pop songs in a welter of guises, often using the same pool of musicians. The result was a stream of great tunes recorded to a highly technical standard, often with orchestra, but with little, if any, soul. The long-successful Vance-Pockriss partnership wrote most of these songs, which live or die by how catchy they are. Counterpoint vocal arrangements help, but the insistence on writing for so many different girl's names rather highlights the clinical business end of the project. There are a couple of covers: 'Put A Little Love In Your Heart' works, but 'Sweet Caroline' doesn't. The beautifully shady 'All The Young Women' stands out for being more reflective amid beatier material. The bonus tracks feature additional singles and are mostly worth the effort. 'Run Sally Run' is the most energetic track and 'Robin's World' is very catchy, if rather quaint. The last two tracks, from 1971, are decent, but signal how quickly the sun went down on this genre in the 1970s.
on 12 June 2013
I bought the single 'Tracy' when it came out in the 70's, I preferred the 'B' side 'Where do you go?' which I thought was romantic with nice lyrics, the CD contains both. The majority of the tracks are good with good beats and rhythms, 'I remember', Early in the morning', 'Sally Ann'. I don't like 'Heather', too slow, drab and noisy. All the 'Bonus Tracks' I have never heard before but they are superb. Would recommend if you were a fan of 'The Cufflinks'. I used to get people singing 'When Julie Comes Around' whenever they saw me in the street. Was delivered well before the stated date. I have given it a four star because of 'Heather' and 'Sweet Caroline'. The sound quality on the CD is brilliant.
on 8 February 2014
Good CD by Cuff-Links, a band who had a short-lived career in the UK charts. Their follow-ups to Tracy were excellent pop songs and I didn't think Sweet Caroline was all that bad, though not a patch on Neil.
on 1 December 2014
HAD THE SINGLE TRACY ON VINYL WHEN FIRST RELEASED AND HAD NEVER HEARD ANY OF THE OTHER MATERIAL WHICH IS WELL PRODUCED BUBBLEGUM TYPE POP
on 30 August 2012
Had their LPs and 45s, great memories of the 70s and had to have this on CD, excellent pruchase, quality item great service
on 26 October 2014
FANTASTIC COLLECTION ARRIVED ON TIME FOR BIRTHDAY PACKAGED SECURELY AND GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY
on 5 October 2014