on 11 August 2008
As a loyal Ghd customer I was very reluctant to try something different but was pleasantly surprised with this straightener. Although at first they seem a little 'bulky' the straightening results were great and they did everything they said on the box. I have really thick hair that has a natural kink so it's usually a bit of a challenge to straighten. In no time it was poker straight and still kept after sleeping on it. I particularly like the feature to adjust the heat as it feels like I can keep it just hot enough rather than singeing my hair each time. The heat resistant mat is also really handy. All in all - very pleased with my purchase :)
22 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Two years ago I bought me oldest daughter (16) a set of GHD straighteners which have given good results and proved to be durable and well designed.

Just recently I got the Babyliss Pro 230 Radiance straighteners for my younger daughter (14) and these have proved to be a far better product.
The Babyliss straighteners warm up very quickly, get the hair much straighter in a much shorter time and leave it much shinier than the GHD product.

As well as performing very well, the Babyliss straighteners have a whole host of features that you won't find on the GHD; a water chamber to apply steam, an inbuilt comb, a heat mat and so on.

Both of my daughters and four of their friends have now tried these straighteners and, between them all, they have both thick and thin hair and medium length, long and very long hair, some with natural waves and curls and some without,but they all agree on one thing - these are a far superior product to the GHD's.

Don't waste good money on the GHD straighteners - buy these, they are better in every respect.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Over to my girlfriend for this review as my hair isn't long enough to need straightening...

This product caught my eye due to the extra features it seemed to have compared to other products I have used. However, I did keep a completely open mind as I have had things in the past that say they do something but somehow have never happened for me.

But, there was absolutely no need whatsoever for me to worry about these straighteners. The first time I used them, I was in shock, for all the right reasons. My hair was straight not flat, which is the result I had ended with on numerous previous occasions. It also kept the volume and style all day.

The additional steam feature is also excellent. It made it look like that I had just had a conditioning treatment on my hair, as it was so shiny.

I can't stop raving about my new acquisition and I tell everyone I know about them. If you need new hair straighteners then I beg you, look no further than the Babyliss.
on 7 October 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a little sceptical that the Pro Radiance could live up to its hype, but I thought I'd give it a try as my old GHDs had finally given up the ghost after nearly two years of loyal service.

First impressions: beautifully packaged, slick finish. The red pouch is soft but sturdy, and very attractive. The straighteners themselves look rather space-age, and were nowhere near as clunky as I expected them to be.

The proof is in the pudding, though. I have long nightmare fuzzy hair that has driven me to the brink of a nervous breakdown on more than one occasion. My GHDs did tame it as much as I could hope, but the damage was noticeable. On days when I didn't use the GHDs and just let it dry naturally, I could see the split ends and parched frazzledness. I thought it was the sacrifice you had to make in order to leave the house not resembling an ungroomed poodle.

And this is where the Pro Radiance excels: adjustable heat control. No longer do you have to hit all areas of your mop with the maximum power available. I found I didn't need the max heat to get results, except around the hairline where I have some very stubborn wispies. The built in comb device was also great at preventing me from inadvertently ironing in kinks and tangles, which I was prone to do with my GHDs. In twenty minutes I had poker straight hair, and I don't know if this is the power of psychological suggestion or what, but it did feel softer and silkier than after a session with the GHDs. You know how after straightening your hair you can feel a weird kind of limp clamminess about it? Like it's been rather pitifully singed into submission? I didn't feel that this time. There was still some life and bounce about the hair, even though it was totally straight, if that makes sense.

The straighteners are comfortable to hold and very easy to use, and the pouch doubles as a heat mat which is a handy bonus. The included sectioning clips are also a nice touch. All in all, I wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone shopping for a good quality straightener. All the power of high heat devices, but the control to direct it exactly where you need it, which means less damage and healthier looking hair. Thank you Babyliss!
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This review is really based on my wife's observations. She is a life long GHD user and was not sure at all about trying a different brand of straightener in her precious hair! Packaging and general design of the product is excellent - really screams quality and (according to her) feels very solid in your hand when you're using it. The whole thing packs up into a funky little clutch bag thing which is (of course) heat proof. From a design point of view - as good as the GHD. In terms of the actual performance she was equally as impressed. They heat up incredibly quickly and she had finished her hair within just a few minutes. The results stayed solid all day and she had absolutely no complaints about the results at all.

Overall this product is highly recommended and is a funky and high quality alternative to the good old GHDs.
on 8 November 2008
As an avid loyal buyer of GHD straighteners I was some what surprised to be given a Babyliss straightener for my birthday, however as some of my freinds have them I gave them a try and to my surprise they are sooo much better then my GHD's. I was not too sure about the steam to start of with but you can use it with or without the steam, but the steam is definately perfect for out of bed hair. I can not put in words how much I am pleased with them, but all I can say is go try them, borrow them off freinds and see for yourself how good they are. :-)
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very impressed with these straightners. Being a loyal ghd girl I was reluctant totry anything else however was glad I tried these.However I do love babyliss products and have never been disapointed in them.
The straightners- like any new hair products- took a while to get used to.But once you do they work really well.You can adjust the heat and they are suitable for all hair types- even my frizzy mop. The steam facility is a bit fiddily but it does work and is a minor thing. However what is important is the final look- and you get lovely straight, sleek hair -with little fuss this is brilliant.
The packaging is also lovely and always adds the appeal. I love the red colour and travel heat protection case/ mat.Makes it feel quite luxurious !
I know you can get cheaper straightners but I think its worth paying extra for these .Your hair looks great, mimimum fuss and you get a 5 year guarantee. They are also still cheaper than ghds- which mine are now in the drawer !
on 29 September 2008
I have been a GHD user for quite sometime and have always believed you cant get better than GHD and was reluctant to try something else, but i seen these on the TV and decided to give it a try. They arrived on Saturday and i tried them right away, i have very thick hair and had washed it the night before but not bothered to blow dry it, so it was very thick and unmanageble looking when i woke up. I felt they straightened my hair to the same standard of GHD but the difference is at normally my hair starts to flick out before i have even left the house (as i have layers in my hair) but with these ones my hair stayed straight all day, even waking up on sunday morning my hair was looking much better than it normally does after sleeping on it, i didnt even bother to redo it before going out. Again today my hair has remained smooth and straight without putting anything on it! They are great!! Not used the steam function yet!
I have thick, frizz prone hair that has a strong kink in it. I rarely bothered to use straighteners on my hair as it would take a long time & the finished results didn't last for long.

One thing that makes a difference to the results is the heat of the straighteners. Professionals rave about the brilliance of GHD's & their great results. They work every time because of the 200.c heat they produce. These BABYLISS straighteners are better, if you have thinner hair you don't need to make do & fry your hair. The straighteners have 5 heat settings; 170.c, 185.c, 200.c, 215.c & 230.c, making it easy to pick the right temperature for your hair.

The main difference to the RADIANCE 230 is the ceramic-titanium plates. These have a `comb' built into them. It's a simple, yet fantastic idea; you only need to use one hand - you don't need to juggle a comb around to get the knots out of your hair! The comb is retractable; you can pick between 2 different height settings depending on your hair type, or they can be fully retracted. Your choice.

Another choice you have is to steam or not to steam. If you would like that mirror shine effect there is a small water tank on the top of the straighteners. You can then pick between 2 different heat settings for the steam, again depending on hair type.

I also love that the ceramic plates are wider then a lot of other brands as it takes less time to straighten my long hair. Let's be honest; if it takes a long time you just get bored & don't bother.

Finally: the protective mat & carry pouch is great. I don't accidently scorch any furniture during use & the straighteners are safely put away from inquisitive cat noses!!

These straighteners are helping me to make a style transformation. Yes, I know nice hair isn't earth shatteringly important, but I do get a confidence boost when I've made an effort & have gotten good, long lasting results (I tied my hair up & when I later combed it back out it was still super smooth).

These straighteners cost a bit more, but the results are worth it, I promise!!
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got these for a sixteen year old young lady in our house and so the 'review' is from her:
Good points, Ionic steam, no frizz, leaves hair silky and smooth and doesn't dry hair out.
Bad points, takes a while to reach MAXIMUM temperature, and the water tank needs filling frequently with regard to the steam function.
Overall, I would definitely recommend the Pro 230 straighteners to people with mid to long length hair, which has a tendancy to frizz as the Babyliss straighteners left my hair soft and silky with no frizz and hardly any dryness!
Recommended.