Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

on 11 January 2011
January 2011
I chose this monopod, because for considerably less cost than the Manfrotto 695CX, it offered more height for marginal increases in weight (plus 0.06Kg), and closed length (plus 3.5cm).

However, the manufacturer's website, and the instructions that came with the item, stated that the outer 3 / 8" thread was spring-loaded, and would retract into the platform to reveal the 1 / 4" thread (as Manfrotto 695CX). This was not the case on the item I received.

Eventually, it was discovered that there is a small Allen-screw (in the side of the monopod just below the platform) which is only revealed when the wrist-strap swivel is rotated. Loosening this screw half a turn (with the supplied Allen-key) allows the whole platform to be unscrewed. The central threaded stud can then be reversed to reveal the alternative thread.

It may be that I have received the last of an earlier design, or the first of a simplified design.

Update March 2011
This issue has subsequently been discussed with Giottos (Focus-on-Imaging NEC March 2011), and the reversible threaded-stud model that I received is the latest design.

I have been using the 3290B monopod with the Giottos MH7002-652 quick-release ball-head. A reassuringly solid combination, where the camera can be held in one-hand as the monopod is attached (by the self-locking action of the head clasping a camera-mounted plate).

At 6ft (1.83m) tall, I have only needed to use four of the five sections for eye-level work; this means that the stiffest (larger diameter) sections can be used. It also means that the extra section could be utilised if the monopod was used on an incline with the camera `downhill'. Any minor movement to `frame the shot' has been achieved by adjusting only the top-section using the flip-lock clasp.

Overall a well-designed, and well-constructed product - recommended.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2011
great monopod..really tall.... comes with screw set to 3/8 rather than 1/4 I instructions on how to change from 3/8 to 1/4 but managed to work it out..if you require to change the screw you have to look under the platform for a grub screw (hidden by strap)undo it(allen screw provided) and the top comes off letting you turn the screw round..
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2011
I only bought a monopod because I was asked to photograph a 10 day festival of bands with a AAA pass. I was back stage, side stage, mixing tower, dressing rooms and just about everywhere but in the performers underpants.
I had a Custom Bracket digital Pro mounted on top QR with a 5D2 which worked almost flawlessly (pro bracket FLR lost a screw and the OE battery grip loosened every day with so many swings from portrait to landscape) but this monopod was a true workhorse. Having invested heavily in Manfrotto over the years I have no hesitation in switching to Giottos and will do so as needs arise.

Be careful when looking at carbon monopods. I was considering one 5 times the price of this one which when you work out the weight was only 9% lighter! Add on your camera, battery grip, ball head or custom bracket and it came down to 2.27%!

Best money I've spent on gear in a long time. I'm 5ft 9in but went for the longer length in case I was perched and had to use a lower level to steady the pod. Wise move in event photography.

Built like a tank but doesn't weigh in like one. Very highly recommended.
on 11 May 2010
Good solid monopod, i bought this version because i am 6ft 6" tall and this monopod is plenty long enough, it could do with a rubber pad on the top to prevent marking your camera if used without a ball head but most people will put a ball head on it, quality is worth paying an extra quid or two for!
on 18 November 2009
I bought this monopod recently and have fallen in love,it is strongly made although light,carries my heavy Nikon D700 with ease and has pretty much made my tripod redundant.finish is good an very easy to open and shut,thanks to the quick release levers,it stands very high when fully open too high for me and Im 5.11 inches,overall I would recommend this monopod fully
on 2 February 2010
The Monopod is of solid construction and small enough to carry without getting in the way when walking with a camera shoulder bag and a rucksack on my back.
The rubber grip makes it comfortable to carry by hand and it does not get too cold on winter days.
I fitted it with a Manfrotto Head and the whole thing feels very robust and will take a camera and a very long focus lens without feeling unstable.
A tripod can get heavy when walking long distances so a Monopod or beanbags are the obvious answer and the Monopod gives height adjustment.
All in all a great purchase.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Opinion in the camera world is divided about monopods: some wouldn't be without them, others reckon that if you can carry a monopod, you can take a tripod and get superior stability.

However, if you know you are a monopod person, then this Giottos lightweight is the bee's knees. I use mine with a Canon 400D plus 70-300 IS - not a heavy setup (not like having a full-frame body and L lens), but the reach of the 300 means stability is essential. I do use a tripod for short journeys, but when I'm walking, it's the monopod I take with me. Exceedingly light, short enough (because of the 5 rather than 4 sections) to fit in my rucksack, or, more often, in the ice-axe loops - and also short enogh easily to fit in my suitcase for foreign shoots. The extra stability it affords is vital to me in all but the brightest conditions: despite the IS on the lens, it means I can shoot in lower light at a lower ISO - and, often crucially, with a higher F number.

So, for me this is a vital part of my equipment: not a tripod substitute, but to use when the tripod would be too awkward to take with me. In other words - every time I put my walking boots on!
on 25 September 2010
Great monopod. Exudes quality. Height fine - I am 6" tall and its not too small. Weight, comfort, ease of use - cant complain one bit. Would recommend to anyone. I have fitted a quick release Manfrotto head to it an this also works well in combination.
on 10 April 2012
Absolutely rock solid monopod. I'm 6ft tall and when fully extended, my camera fits nicely up to my eye. Perfect length for me. Build quality is great, even though it's aluminium it's absolutely solid. The release clamps are top quality and fit very tightly. I've tested getting the legs to go back in when they're tightened and they literally dont budge. Nice and lightweight, not too big. Small enough that it can slide under the clip cover of my shoulder bag.

Also nice that it has the double sided thread. This was a little confusing at first as the instructions weren't very clear about how to change it over, and it came with the tripod head mount side ready to use out of the box. I hadn't planned on buying a head for it at this point (and still haven't as it does everything I need it to do without) so needed to get the tripod thread side out. To do this you have to twist the metal part at the very top of the monopod which at first was extremely stiff (so much so that at first I was convinced it wasn't designed to move).

Once you loosen it up though it will twist off and allow you to flip the screw thread bit upside down and screw it back on. Since undoing it the first time it has been easy enough to change from that point on.

Overall, if you're looking for a monopod without having to spend stupid money this is a great choice for a solid monopod.
on 2 November 2008
Lightweight, sturdy, and excellent build quality.

I've tried this out with a very heavy 100-400mm Canon lens, and it is works great.

See one answered question