5.0 out of 5 stars Platform Specification
January 2011
I chose this monopod, because for considerably less cost than the Manfrotto 695CX, it offered more height for marginal increases in weight (plus 0.06Kg), and closed length (plus 3.5cm).

Published on 11 Jan 2011 by Tom1111

2.0 out of 5 stars Giottos GTMML 3270B - broken all ready
Having purchased this item in October 2010 I initially believed it to be one of the best buys I had made.
Looked well made and sturdy and cheaper than most other products of the same specification. However today, the 2nd time of using it the threads on the outer attaching stud snapped off. And no i hadn't overtightened it. Very disappointing.
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by copout

5.0 out of 5 stars Platform Specification, 11 Jan 2011
January 2011

However, the manufacturer's website, and the instructions that came with the item, stated that the outer 3 / 8" thread was spring-loaded, and would retract into the platform to reveal the 1 / 4" thread (as Manfrotto 695CX). This was not the case on the item I received.

Eventually, it was discovered that there is a small Allen-screw (in the side of the monopod just below the platform) which is only revealed when the wrist-strap swivel is rotated. Loosening this screw half a turn (with the supplied Allen-key) allows the whole platform to be unscrewed. The central threaded stud can then be reversed to reveal the alternative thread.

It may be that I have received the last of an earlier design, or the first of a simplified design.

Update March 2011
This issue has subsequently been discussed with Giottos (Focus-on-Imaging NEC March 2011), and the reversible threaded-stud model that I received is the latest design.

I have been using the 3290B monopod with the Giottos MH7002-652 quick-release ball-head. A reassuringly solid combination, where the camera can be held in one-hand as the monopod is attached (by the self-locking action of the head clasping a camera-mounted plate).

At 6ft (1.83m) tall, I have only needed to use four of the five sections for eye-level work; this means that the stiffest (larger diameter) sections can be used. It also means that the extra section could be utilised if the monopod was used on an incline with the camera `downhill'. Any minor movement to `frame the shot' has been achieved by adjusting only the top-section using the flip-lock clasp.

Overall a well-designed, and well-constructed product - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars giotto mml 3270b, 1 Sep 2011
great monopod..really tall.... comes with screw set to 3/8 rather than 1/4 I required..no instructions on how to change from 3/8 to 1/4 but managed to work it out..if you require to change the screw you have to look under the platform for a grub screw (hidden by strap)undo it(allen screw provided) and the top comes off letting you turn the screw round..

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, 11 May 2010
P. J. Bayliss "Digger" (Warwickshire, uk) - See all my reviews
Good solid monopod, i bought this version because i am 6ft 6" tall and this monopod is plenty long enough, it could do with a rubber pad on the top to prevent marking your camera if used without a ball head but most people will put a ball head on it, quality is worth paying an extra quid or two for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best investment yet., 21 Jun 2011
I only bought a monopod because I was asked to photograph a 10 day festival of bands with a AAA pass. I was back stage, side stage, mixing tower, dressing rooms and just about everywhere but in the performers underpants.
I had a Custom Bracket digital Pro mounted on top QR with a 5D2 which worked almost flawlessly (pro bracket FLR lost a screw and the OE battery grip loosened every day with so many swings from portrait to landscape) but this monopod was a true workhorse. Having invested heavily in Manfrotto over the years I have no hesitation in switching to Giottos and will do so as needs arise.

Be careful when looking at carbon monopods. I was considering one 5 times the price of this one which when you work out the weight was only 9% lighter! Add on your camera, battery grip, ball head or custom bracket and it came down to 2.27%!

Best money I've spent on gear in a long time. I'm 5ft 9in but went for the longer length in case I was perched and had to use a lower level to steady the pod. Wise move in event photography.

Built like a tank but doesn't weigh in like one. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars fine monopod, 18 Nov 2009
I bought this monopod recently and have fallen in love,it is strongly made although light,carries my heavy Nikon D700 with ease and has pretty much made my tripod redundant.finish is good an very easy to open and shut,thanks to the quick release levers,it stands very high when fully open too high for me and Im 5.11 inches,overall I would recommend this monopod fully

5.0 out of 5 stars Giottos GTMML 3290B - 5 Section 190cm Pro Monopod, 2 Feb 2010
J. R. G. Dibble "JOHN D" (LONDON) - See all my reviews
The Monopod is of solid construction and small enough to carry without getting in the way when walking with a camera shoulder bag and a rucksack on my back.
The rubber grip makes it comfortable to carry by hand and it does not get too cold on winter days.
I fitted it with a Manfrotto Head and the whole thing feels very robust and will take a camera and a very long focus lens without feeling unstable.
A tripod can get heavy when walking long distances so a Monopod or beanbags are the obvious answer and the Monopod gives height adjustment.
All in all a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: Giottos GTMML 3260B 4 Section 160cm Pro Monopod (Accessory)
Great monopod. Exudes quality. Height fine - I am 6" tall and its not too small. Weight, comfort, ease of use - cant complain one bit. Would recommend to anyone. I have fitted a quick release Manfrotto head to it an this also works well in combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 2 Nov 2008
Mr. D. Marsh (Jersey) - See all my reviews
Lightweight, sturdy, and excellent build quality.

I've tried this out with a very heavy 100-400mm Canon lens, and it is works great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Giottos GTMML 3270B - broken all ready, 9 Jan 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Sep 2010
K. HARWIN (UK) - See all my reviews
I got this to use with my Canon eos 1000d and my Canon 70-200mm F4L USM Lens. Im very pleased with it. The monopod is very light and closes up very small, so I can fit it in my bag. Its also got a comfy handle and feels strong.