on 8 January 2015
I highly recommend this knife sharpener. If you can afford it - buy it! I have, over many years, acquired a collection of sharpening stones, electric grinder, steels and other devices, none of which have really worked effectively and consistently. The Chef's Choice 1520 is the first product to return an edge to my various dull kitchen knives and works simply and quickly. The first thing I like about it, is that is has a separate section for Asian and European knives. Each are sharpened to a slightly different angle. The knife is re-sharpened by slowly drawing the blade through the machine and repeating the pull on the other side. Although my knives initially required more pulls than the Information Leaflet would have me believe, they did sharpen up nicely. In fact, one (a delicate Japanese cook's knife), had a damaged tip, where it was slightly bent. Within a minute the small twist of metal has been filed away to a nice neat edge. The machine is easy to set up and use. I also think sharpening improves as you develop your own technique. Mine is to place three fingers on the blade and, applying gentle pressure, pull the knife through taking about 4-5 seconds. Its a pricey investment but one I advocate if you have the money. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that the knife guides are plastic and I fear may become damaged with use over a year or two. In summary, its taken me 20 years but I have eventually found a sharpener that works.
on 26 November 2012
Excellent - resurrects my Global knives every time. You still have to be careful with technique - it would be easy to make a blade's edge uneven if you were a bit sloppy because this is a powerful machine. Much quicker than hand sharpening.
on 5 June 2013
Having spent many hundreds of pounds on various sharpeners this tool does everything.You can get knives back to factory sharpness quite easily although you have to spent a little time polishing the edge to make it shaving sharp.I have used it on Global,Henckels and Japanese damasus blades witll excellent results
on 29 November 2012
Its so easy and intuitive to use - getting sharp knives is a no brainer. My wife remarked how easy it was to work with the knives after they were sharpened - no more pressure required, they just cut!
on 2 January 2014
I bought this one because I have both Asian and European style knives. I have a whetstone, but I'd never quite managed to get the "just bought" edge back on the knives. With this I have, and I've been table to put a decent edge back on some knives that I previously thought were beyond rescue. Really good. Expensive, but, at a similar cost to a decent knife, well worth it! Now where are the plasters...
on 17 August 2014
Excellent product, not cheap but very well made. Produces excellent results on all knives used to date. After getting our knives back to a very sharp edge the sharpener was placed towards the rear of the cupboard, this was soon found to be a mistake. The fine honing stone which is used to put the final finish on the blade is now used almost weekly to maintain the keen edge that we wanted.
on 22 July 2015
My knives are German- either Wusthof or Henkels and I believe should be 16 - 18 deg, so having the choice of 15 or 20 deg seemed fine.
I had doubts about this 2 stage process (grind to 15 or 20 deg, then polish finish) would give sufficient sharpness compared to a 3 stage process. My concern were unfounded and I get very sharp knives. I find that using either 15 or 20 deg makes little difference - I assume that at 15deg, the sharpness may be shorter lived, but for a domestic kitchen this seems fine. Motor power seems more than adequate with no apparent reduction in speed. although not cheap, I am very pleased with my 1520.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 January 2016
Amazing product. I had a Chef's Choice Asian knives sharpener and there is a HUGE difference between the latter and this model, even for Asian knives. With the 1520 I get a burr with one pass on each side in the first slot only (as opposed to 4 or 5 with the other sharpener), and the ceramic stropping disks in the third slot do a wonderful job of refining the edge to razor sharpness with just 2 or 3 passes on each side. The Asian knives sharpener does not have ceramic disks and thus is not capable of giving such a fine edge to knives. In case you wonder why I go from slot 1 to 3, slot 2 is for European knives, or to give a special 'trizor' edge to Asian knives. I haven't done the latter as they cut perfectly with the double bezel only.

I have used this to sharpen Global, Tojiro Senkou and Shun Kaji knives with blades ranging from 7cm to 23cm, with equal success. The sharpener is very powerful so you have to be careful not to press down more than absolutely necessary when you sharpen, otherwise I can see that (as some reviewers have said) it could take too much metal off. But with a very light pressure (basically just holding the knife against the grooves as you slide it towards you, without pushing down) the sharpener does a perfect job, without scratching or marring the knives. And believe me, with the Damascus effect on the Tojiro and the Kaji I was nervous! Also the Shun Kaji are extremely hard (Rockwell 63-64 instead of 61 for the Global) but this didn't pose any problem. On the Kaji I only needed the stropping disks in slot 3, in fact.

I also have sharpened all my Victorinox pocket knives (on the 20° angle slot, ie n°2) with equal success. I don't have any Western kitchen knives but given the excellence of the product with the pocket knives, which have the same angle, I don't doubt that you could sharpen them equally well.

This is by far the best sharpener I have used and I am delighted with it. It is not too noisy and since you don't need to use it for long anyway, that wouldn't matter too much. The final edge is better than the factory edge for the Global and Tojiro, equal for the Kaji. Don't hesitate if you have the money (I hesitated for a long time but I really don't regret taking the plunge).
on 1 January 2016
My manual sharpener, though from a reputable knife maker, was beginning to feather my knifes. This sharpener has solved this problem. It has also restored some old and heavily abused knifes to an excellent condition (tempted to say better than new but no way to substantiate this). It is really nice to be able to but a 15 degree edge on selected European knifes (especially slicing knifes).
on 17 May 2015
Finally my decades long search for something to sharpen knives, is over. Yes, it's not cheap but OMG is does the job superbly, restoring old knives to their former glory. You need to be patient reworking the blade but once done it's sharper than a sharp thing from sharp town.

Go on, treat yourself. You won't regret it - especially if you love cooking and have to chop a lot of things!