5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, efficient and independent from the mains supply.
Published on 4 Oct 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite up to expectations
Published on 27 Oct 2008 by A. Mead

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, efficient and independent from the mains supply., 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: ASUS Eee PC 901 BK006 Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD (Black) (Electronics)
After two months contemplation I finally bought an Asus 901 last week. I hesitated for so long due to concern over the keyboard size. This was the only issue for me really. However I can tell you that I have decent sized hands but can manage fine with this small keyboard. Whilst I probably can not type quite as fast as on my other laptop I can still type fast enough to work on this machine. I am of course typing this review on my Asus. That was my only issue to get over, so now I will proceed with all other aspects of the machine that you may be wondering about.

I bought a 15' high spec Acer a few months ago, and although it is a great machine I found it annoying to work most of the time with the power cable connected. I also wasn't happy with the size, as I spend a lot of time actually on the move in airports etc So I figured the Asus would be an ideal alternative, and I wasn't wrong. The true portability is fantastic. I can lay in bed with the machine on my chest and work away, I don't even need to sit up. It boots up and shuts down so quickly it make it so convenient for even a few minutes work. I am not certain but I would say I am getting about 5 hours from the battery whilst connected to the net via wi-fi.

The build of the machine feels very sturdy. Contrary to other opinion the keyboard is solid, more so that my Acer, without any flex.

The touch pad works fine although it is of course smaller than normal. Many of the added touch features are very useful and this is the first time I have used them.

Now onto the function. I opted to leave Linux on the machine even though I have never used it before. This was because I figured it may be better for the small less powerful machine. I don't know if this is right but it certainly works very well and efficiently. It connects straight to my wi-fi signal and others around me. It surfs the net as fast as my more powerful machine and opens all pages without problem. I have made calls to the other side of the world using Skype and this also works as well as on my Acer machine. I have Linux messenger installed, which is called Pidgin, and it works well. I listen to BBC Radio live, as well as the pre-installed Radio stations. So, the Asus together with Linux does all internet functions well. What about office etc?

Linux contains within it Open Office. This is very, very similar to the XP Office package. I have been using it on all my machines and it has no drawbacks that I can see. Microsoft Office files and Open Office documents are interchangeable.

Linux also has other additional functions and packages built in. There is a 'Learn' tab which has mathematics software and a science tab containing an astronomy tool and language software. There are a few games that are quite entertaining as well as a very good dictionary. There is a seemingly comprehensive media package containing video and audio software, although I haven't had chance to try it yet.

Overall I am more that happy with the 901. It has satisfied my needs in every way so far. I can not think of anything else that I need from a laptop. This is exactly what a true laptop should be: portable, efficient and independent from the mains supply.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful laptop I've ever owned, 24 Sep 2008
John Lawrence (UK) - See all my reviews
This machine is absolutely fantastic. I've owned a few laptops and always found I don't use them as they weigh too much to carry round. The eeePC combines sturdy build, ease of use and ultimate portability making it great to just throw in my bag before I leave the house.

The Linux operating system in this version is really simple to use and definitely the better choice as you get a larger hard disk than with the Windows version.

The eeePC is a great laptop, and definitely the most useful I've known.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little heavy, but other than that - great stuff, 3 Oct 2008
M. C. Wheadon "Mark Wheadon" (Canterbury, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
The 901 sits a little heavily in the hand when you're carrying it around, but other than that it's a great machine.

It feels very well built, has superb battery life (in excess of five hours in practice), runs cool, and is very quiet (completely quiet much of the time - when the fan does come on it's usually very slowly and hence pretty quietly).

It's a great machine for taking notes in meetings / lectures etc., as it has a small footprint, is quiet (often completely silent), can be left on with no worries about battery life and has a good keyboard with a reliable, precise action.

If ASUS could give us this kind of battery life with a lighter battery pack then I'd have nothing less-than-good to say about it at all. Great stuff.

Mark

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid netbook for anyone, 10 Nov 2008
G. McPherson "mattz_uk" (Inverness UK) - See all my reviews
I've watched the growing popularity of the netbook for a while and finally in a position to need a laptop, I plumped for the 901. After numerous courier mishaps I finally laid hands upon it and it's a marvellous piece of kit.

The display is crisp and sharp, good for browsing the web and IM conversations, as well as typing up documents and emails. The smaller keyboard may be a hinderance to a few but after a bit of practice your fingers will be dancing like on a regular keyboard. The mouse trackpad is quite responsive and supports multitouch gestures, handy for scrolling webpages one handed.

The nifty new Intel Atom processor has made short work of everything I've thrown it from imaging apps to processing video from the onboard camera, which is admittedly a bit of a let down at only 1.3megapixels but still serviceable for video-Skyping. Incidentally the onboard sound and mic are of the highest quality and the jacks are there for external options if you want.

The Linux version I bought worked perfectly out of the box though I noticed some software issues arising as I applied a few updates which accidentally crippled the Update Service, stopping me from updating to the patch that fixed that problem. Oh the irony! I then tinkered about with a few EEE-PC specific Linux variants, none of which support the latest model 901 so finally plumped for the excellent Ubuntu EEE which supports everything out of the box, has a highly simplified install process for newbie users and looks absolutely gorgeous. However the default OS (and it's Advanced Mode) will more than likely serve any user who wants a small and functional netbook. The battery life is phenomenal compared to previous laptops, with an easy 5 hours acheived while just browsing the web, watching Youtube videos etc and I imagine even more if you conserve by shutting down, using the sleep mode etc.

Highly recommended as in my opinion, the netbook to weather you for a good few years and with the option to expand the storage with SDHC cards making it into a nifty little portable media centre. Once you've watched Mythbusters on your lunch hour, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the ultra mobile laptop you'll ever need!, 23 Dec 2008
C. Sale - See all my reviews
This is the first time I've felt compelled to write an online review.

As an eee veteren I was already familiar with the Asus 'easy' implementation of Xandros and so was able to quickly sort out all of the niggely little things like the date format.

With the 901 Asus have done everything that they needed to do to turn the 701 from a toy to what is arguably all the ultra mobile laptop you'll ever need!

They focused on all of the 701's weaknesses (screen size, battery life, hard disk size) increasing them all substantially, and then threw in Bluetooth just for good measure.

This little machine does all of the basics and it does them well. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jan 2009
Dr. T. Shamboul (Norfolk,England) - See all my reviews
Wonderful , I have used an ASUS Eee PC 90O before , but liked the new innovations in the 901 version.I've gone for Linux because its simple and enough for my needs , all I do is net surfing , ebooks reading and some word processing , plus linking the machine to a plasma screen for movies etc..if you need more complicated tasks go for the windows xp.I was lucky with delivery go it in 2 days only - FANTASTIC service from Amazon ...plus , best price I can find in the internet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best netbook available?, 22 Feb 2009
C. Sangiuseppe (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I spent ages (as you do) researching netbooks to make sure I was getting the best one for my girlfriend, and am pretty sure I made the right choice. The linux os means you get an extra 8GB of SSD (better than HDD) for your money which is great, and seeing as how netbooks are supposed to be purely an inexpensive way to access your emails, internet, etc whilst on the road, putting windows on there, in my opinion (especially the power hungry Vista) is total overkill.

This model was the best available at the time, due to the SSD, Linux, Bluetooth, Ram and the battery life thanks to the Intel Atom processor.

My only gripe, is that for a guy with big fingers, I find myself having to make many corrections due to the size of the keyboard, but the only way to improve this would be to go for a larger model, and the girlfriend happily types away on it with zero trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little netbook, 15 Sep 2009
B. Gleeson - See all my reviews
The ideal little laptop for surfing the internet when you are away,
long battery life and easy to use. It probably wouldn't replace your
other laptop but for convenience when you are away its perfect.
Would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice small thing, 15 Mar 2009
Mr. Jozef Dobos (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I got mine in white at the end, as the retailer run out of stock on black. The netbook is nice, however, it is pretty difficult to touch type on it. For that reason you might want to consider the bigger model 1000. Apart from that no problems. The preloaded linux is rubbish with XP look to it, only suitable OS for kids to be honest. I installed Easy Peasy Linux distro and works very well. I also mounted myself a touch screen on it, but that changed matt screen to glossy which is pain to look at. Overall satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite up to expectations, 27 Oct 2008
A. Mead (UK) - See all my reviews
Well I bought one of these and discovered that the 20GB SSD is not infact a single disk but 2, 4GB and 16GB, of which the 16GB is slower than the 4GB SSD that contains the OS. Mine also had a dead pixel on arrival (bright white). My original intention was to dual boot Linux (pre-installed) and XP, however this quickly became an unlikely idea due to the space limitation on the primary SSD.
The Xandros Linux that comes pre-installed works as expected, although having used Linux on and off for 11 years I can say I was a little dissapointed by it, however for a first time user it would be fine as the interface isn't meant for people who know anything about the OS.
The Keyboard feels quite solid for a laptop and the size of the device makes it truly portable unlike most laptops.
Overall I liked it, but in retrospect I'd go for a HDD version if buying again purely because of the split SSD