5.0 out of 5 stars Far Exceeded Expectations
I dont like electric shavers. I wet shave in the week and use an electric at the weekend if I am not going anywhere in particular and cant be bothered but it never feels right.

I didnt want to pay a lot, so I bought this to replace an expensive foil shaver that was a few years old and I had never been happy with. The difference was unbelievable...
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Its only average
I just wanted to put everything in perspective because a lot of people seem to just love things when they are not really analysing properly lol

Anyway, it shaves ok, but the blades rotate quite slowly, so you cant move it around your face very quickly. So its no good for a fast shave.

Its the first philips type shaver I have had, and the head is too...
Published on 5 Dec 2010 by Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Exceeded Expectations, 1 Jun 2009
Amazon Customer (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)

Close and comfortable, it far exceeded expectations. This shaver is that good, that after having owned it for just over a week, I have been to work a couple of(less motivated)days using this and felt fine.

I now wonder what the more expensive models are like.

I knew that the Phillishave (floating head) products were well regarded but thought they looked a bit old fashioned. The modern foil shavers look sleek and sexy but when it comes to the actual shave - for me, I now know there is no contest !

Great price (and usual service) from Amazon saving nearly 20 on Boots/Argos price.

If you buy this - you wont be disapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Male Shaver, 6 Jun 2009
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I have always used Philips rotary shavers so selecting this shaver which was reasonably priced was easy. The shaver was delivered as requested and did not disappoint. It gives a smooth shave and battery lasts for at least 2 weeks when used 1-2 times a day..

5.0 out of 5 stars A very wise buy, 1 Oct 2010
Mr. Derek Denton (South Lakeland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I've had a fair few shavers in my time, many of them with bells and whistles galore and costing far too much. When I was contemplating this one, I saw that it cost less than replacing just the shaving heads of my Braun, and the Philips washable shaver I used to own. So, I reckoned it was worth the gamble to go for this modestly priced HQ6990 Philips job. After all, I was getting a completely new device, blades, battery, the lot.

RESULT: one very satisfied customer. Shaves me perfectly, with no dragging. Sometimes I use Boots's Pre-electric Shave which costs less than 3 and lasts for ages and gives a nice easy shave. To get the best result move the shaver slowly over your face, and move it in a straight line up and down, and then use a curved path, back and forth, still nice and slow. And don't press hard. A lighter touch gets better results.

CLEANING: Remove the head in one easy movement. Tap it gently against your palm to remove the bulk of your trimmings, then use the small brush (supplied) to clear out the top section of body of the shaver. Takes no time at all.

BATTERY CHARGE: Seems to last for ages - well over a week, then it can be recharged in an hour or so.

VERDICT: I know some men have barbed wire for whiskers. A blow torch is probably what they need. But for guys with normal beards, this shaver represents excellent value for money and a surprisingly good shaving experience. No more over-hyped shavers for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can reccommend this shaver, 31 Oct 2009
R. Parker (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Very pleased with this one - charges in an hour as opposed to overnight for my previous shaver, and the charge seems to last well (havn't tested it to its limit but so far 2 weeks worth of shaving no problem). A close feeling shave. It helps that the cutters are new of course but replacements ,with an I.D. code, are available. Has a slightly more compact feel than my previous (a Remington), which suits me. Oh yes and a reasonable price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Shaver, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
After my Philips shaver of some 5 years sadly expired last year I foolishly bought a Remington . Results were most unsatisfactory. I recently purchased the Philips 6900 and even three of four days growth disapear very quickly. This shaver I can reccomend to everyone. Forget the old adage of "cheap things are seldom good.. etc .."

This product is superb and at the price amazing !

5.0 out of 5 stars God value and works well, 1 Nov 2009
R. S. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Purchased to replace an old Philips rotary shaver which needed new heads, and probably a new rechargeable battery, I am very satisfied with it. Fixing the old shaver would have cost more. It is much quieter than the old shaver. Fortunately the soft travelling case for the old shaver fits the new one otherwise that omission from the specification would have been a disadvantage when packing it. The charge only lasts a little over a week, compared with a month for the old shaver when new, but in practice I do not find that a disadvantage. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, 14 Jun 2009
D. Delacovias (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
An electric shaver that works and doesn't wreck your skin! I have a fairly heavy beard and it does take a couple of passes but it shaves well and close leaving your skin intact. Great value and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shaver, 26 Mar 2009
Donald Macdonald "Donald" (Stornoway, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I've been using Philips rotary for well over 30 years and this is the best yet. I still have one (and occasionally use, when my last one ran out of charge) I got 37 years ago. I'm still on the first charge for this one as I also wet shave but am impressed with how long the charge is lasting. I like the fact that if it does run out of charge, you can can just plug it in and use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips HQ6990 6900 Series Rotary Male Shaver, 1 Feb 2009
J. Hetherington (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)
fast smooth shave, excellent value for money, fast recharge, which seems to last for ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its only average, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver (Personal Care)

Its the first philips type shaver I have had, and the head is too big to fit between your nose and your top lip, so you end up shaving your mouth too! - its not easy to get up your nostrils either to deal with any nasel hair.

One good thing about it is that it shaves fairly close if you have the time to let it do its work. Also, its very quiet and doesnt vibrate much.

Its easy to hold in your hand, but the shape makes it difficult to put down, as it just rolls off the table!! LOL - would be nice to have a stand for it. You dont get that problem with the other shaver types.

Overall the shaver is good, I am holding onto it, the battery life is average, the shave is good, but slow and to be honest, considering the price, its good value for money

Philips HQ6990 electric Shaver