5.0 out of 5 stars XXS - Xtra Xtra Small ?
Published on 10 Oct. 2008 by Crazy Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Great size but not reliable
Great dimensions but after 18 months of ownership it died on me, not great longevity for the money. Disappointed.
Published on 19 April 2010 by Yoda

5.0 out of 5 stars XXS - Xtra Xtra Small ?, 10 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Freecom 31256 Mobile Drive XXS 250GB USB-2 (Personal Computers)
This drive has a great deal going for it, not only does it live up to its boasts of being "the world's smallest external 2.5" hard drive" it also looks good, its very functional, easy to use and the rubber casing gives a cushioned and protective feel - ideal if your on the move. Because its rubber encased there is no need to worry about scratches or getting the enclosure cracked like with other drive designs on the market.

Out of the packaging it couldn't be simpler, plug and play, no need for a power adapter and when you're done it really is small and light enough to put in your pocket.

There is a quirky little tag on the side of this drive. You can see it in some of the product images, on this tag is the designers name "Sylvain Willenz", not having heard the name I did a little online research and found he is a young and somewhat famous in his field Belgian designer. Nice to know there is some outside design influence that goes into computer products!

I can't fault this product, hence 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Freecom product, 12 Mar. 2009
D. Hillier (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this drive to replace a 4 year old Freecom classic 40GB, which has always travelled loose in my bag or pocket and never let me down but, no longer has the capacity I need. Freecom have the most products in this category on the market (Which I believe shows their success and pedigree) and I chose this rather than their Firewire/USB drive because it was half the weight and 2cm smaller in length, also some reviews stated that the firewire cable sometimes needed to be supplemented by a USB power cable. I would have gone for a 320GB drive if it were in stock.

It looks and feels amazing and really is incredibly small and light. The cable is only 1"/3cm long but this is fine for me and I can leave the cable attached in my bag. Transfer times average about 15minutes for 20GB, which is fine as I won't regularly be transferring large files, just the occasional backup and my working files. Unlike my older slower drive it also happily streams DVD quality video.

I do however have one concern: the rubber case is an all-encompassing sleeve with a slit along the top like a hard cigarette packet, meaning that one end can open it to slide out the hard-drive. The hard-drive is exactly that, an unfinished box with visible circuit board and mounting screws suitable for screwing into a computer. This strikes me as somewhat vulnerable to spillages and dirt which could ingress through the slit. It also has no LED indicating power or data access. I am confident though that the 2mm rubber could defend against general knocks and bumps.

Overall I cannot imagine any problems with this great little drive, which so far is performing well and based on my previous Freecom purchase will continue to for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive for the price, 3 May 2009
Bought to go with a new HD satellite receiver. Works superbly and records HD content and being so small sits unobtrusively next to receiver. Very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy - plug and play - mass storage., 28 Oct. 2008
G. Nicholls - See all my reviews
Had this drive for a few weeks now and I'm extremely pleased with it. It comes as FAT32 and has freecom sychro software on it, so the first thing I did was to ditch the software, formated to NTFS and partitioned to suit my needs. Yes OK, the supplied lead is extremely short, but inserted gently it easily supports the weight of the drive, so haven't needed to replace the lead, so far. I was concerned about the protruding logo tab in the picture, but it's soft rubber and no problem at all. I bought with the case advertised - which is too big for the drive, and not big enough to carry CDs too, but I would recommend as it offers that bit more protection. Overall - a valued purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 14 Jun. 2009
P. Smithers (UK) - See all my reviews
This mobile drive is small, neat, fits easily into a handbag, no long wires, no need for its own power source (just plugs into a usb socket). I can store all my thousands of photos on it. Only drawback is lack of on/off switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drive, 1 Nov. 2009
E. B. Noble - See all my reviews
A very good drive. Neat and tidy way of expanding my netbook memory. USB connection cable fine for me> If you need it longer then you need to buy an extensionUSB A male to A Female Extension Cable 0.5m which could come in handy for other things

2.0 out of 5 stars Great size but not reliable, 19 April 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable: Loved it when it lasted but died an early death, 14 July 2011
Loved this little drive and it worked fine for about 9 months. Then it started to have problems connecting and dropping the connection between the computer and the drive. And then it stopped working completely. Lovely design but unreliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the rubber, 5 Jun. 2010
Claret Everywhere (York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like all the best things, it's slim and petite and clad in rubber! Just plug in and you're away, and there's no painstaking removal of useless bundled software. I've installed the turbo USB software, but can't decide yet how much difference it makes to transfer speeds. It's USB powered, has no fan, so it's virtually silent in operation.

Issues? As some others have commented, the USB lead is very short, meaning it's best used with your laptop on a table, which not all of us do. On the plus side, it's a standard mini USB connection, so use the lead from your digital camera or whatever if it's a problem. Might also be nice if it had some ingenious clip to attach the lead, but you could always use a rubber band. More rubber. I like rubber.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died within 12 months, 27 May 2012
This is a beautiful and seemingly robust unit, and I have been using it as my extra hard drive for storing raw video for video editing work (and carrying it around in my laptop bag).

However, about about 12 months I started getting some weird messages about the drive being unplugged with first rejecting although it was still plugged in. Then within a week it is competely head - I can't mount it and even Alsoft DiskWarrior can't repair it. Hoping it was the drive controller/interface was broken I took it out of the case, but it doesn't have any other interfaces so I couldn't connect it via spare 2.5in case.

In short, very disappointed!