4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well
Published on 30 Sept. 2011 by RJP the Book Boy

1.0 out of 5 stars Happy, sort of...
Only 3-stars despite Amazon's incredible service.

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by omelette

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 30 Sept. 2011
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Silverline Silverstorm 234578 Jump Starter and Air Compressor 12Ah (Automotive)
I bought this beacuse we often need to top up our types as we live miles out in the Country. The type inflator works well but the scale is a little odd to read as it goes upto 260 psi and my tyres need 38 psi! However checking with a seperate tyre guage it seem accurate on all 4 vehicles. As a battery jump booster it is great and it strated my neighbours BMW from a near flat battery so that seems fine. It holds its charge well as after doing 8 typres topping up and starting my neighbours car it showed a full charge still. The plastic case seems quite tough and there is a work light on the front to help you find your terminals in the dark. There is also a battery test button to make sure the charge is up. It comes with a couple of inflator adapters for bikes (I think). The inflation hose is stored in a compartment on the back as is long enough to be easy to use. I am happy with this unit but as I have only had it a week I cannot comment on it performance over time but it does come with a three year gurantee from Silverline who make it. I don't plan to use it often just to top the tyres up and help start anything that suffers if we have a cold winter again. A very useful tool at a reasonable price for what it does (our local Tesco charges 40p for air) do I think over 3 years I should easily get back what I paid for it in tyre inflation alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silverline Jump Starter, 6 Oct. 2009
Having opted originally for the Blackspur model, but which arrived damaged, I requested a refund and purchased the Silverline.

I'll neve know how the Blackspur would have performed, but it did feel as though it was made of thin platic and flimsy, whereas the Silverline feels robust and really well made.

I bought the unit as a back-up, but within two days of purchase - it was called into action to restart a neighbour's car which had been parked up for a fortnight with a flat battery.

I keep mine in the boot of my car, and once a week I recharge it so it's always ready. So, having checked the relevant manuals and made sure I'd got the polarity right, the Silverline was clipped on - the neighbour got into their car - and sure enough it started with ease.

Well done Silverline, yet another well made and easy to use piece of equipment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Happy, sort of..., 9 Nov. 2010
Only 3-stars despite Amazon's incredible service.

The literature informed you that this can take up to 72 hours to charge the first time it is used. So as instructed, I left it on charge for this amount of time. I expected the charging LED to extinguish when it is charged but it doesn't. After the alloted time, I tried jump-starting my car and pumping its tyres with it - it worked very well. After using it, I set it on-charge again overnight and noticed next day that its power-adapter was quite hot. Using one of those Kill-A-Watt energy meters I could see that it was drawing over 7 Watts which seemed excessive. After just 2 weeks I noticed after being left on-charge overnight that the charging-light no longer was lit and its power-adapter was stone-cold, which didn't seem right. After establishing that the thermal-fuse had blown in the power-adapter, I contacted Amazon who immediately sent me a new unit - I wasn't expecting that! The new unit I noticed had a different power-adapter and a large red label on the Jump Starter itself saying to charge for 12 hours - I think it safe to assume that I wasn't the first to report the problem and Amazon saw that the problem was corrected!

The new-type power-adapter runs far cooler than the faulty one did, but imo, it still consumes too much power when plugged into the mains outlet but not charging the Jump Starter unit - 3 Watts, whereas the faulty one consumed a massive 5 Watts unloaded! But as I said, it feels noticeably cooler when it is charging the device, so hopefully there will be no more thermal fuses blowing!

UPDATE: Although I have had this for some time now and been generally happy with its performance, having used it probably a dozen times, a 'just-happened' event has prompted me to update this review, if only as a warning to other prospective buyers.

I actually have two of these, one I keep in my 'everyday-car', the other I use once every few months to start up an old banger I hang onto for sentimental reasons. The latter's battery is perpetually flat but the Jump Starter was normally up to the job in starting the car - until today! It turned the engine over for about half a second then silence. Its compressor would not even run which was ominous. After seeing that it wasn't charging from its adapter either, I took it apart and found that the battery, though physically perfect looking, is now practically open-circuit! In fact you can short out the terminals with a piece of wire and barely elicit a spark from it! I've also tried charging it with a 'proper' battery-charger and it does not draw any current - so the battery is a write-off! So the "thermal protection" offered by this Jump Starter is of little use if the battery it comes supplied with is crap - and yes, it has a big "Made In China" on the side...

So, my advice is - DO NOT TRY JUMP-STARTING A CAR WITH THIS IF IT HAS A COMPLETELY-DEAD BATTERY!!!...

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough for a low battery, but not a completely flat one!, 21 Mar. 2014
Mark (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I run an old Alfa which lies dormant over the winter, and although I start it from time to time, the battery sometimes is a little sluggish. I therefore decided to invest in a 'power-pack' just in case it fails to start - which it has done occasionally.

This comes in a moulded case, which isn't highest quality and appears quite cheaply made, although quite sturdy. Its a bit rough round the edges here and there, but it does the job and despite its rather basic moulding quality, does seem quite robust and should be quite durable, and for the price, its perfectly adequate.

The unit is simple to charge, with either the 240v adapter or 12v connection (both supplied). It has a torch/work light, and the built in booster cables sit neatly on their cradles. It also has a volt meter, but despite being calibrated on the dial with 'charging' doesn't actually work whilst he unit is being charged. There is however, a 'test' button to check how much charge is in the unit.

The instructions suggest a long charge before first use, but my unit came fully charged so didn't need long at all.

The compressor is built into the back and is quite useful, although as a word of advice its not particularly quick, and seems to take an age to pump air into tyres. Its quicker with a foot pump! The pressure gauge may need watching to as the one I have appears to under-read. I've checked it against both a foot-pump and digital pressure gauge - which both agree with each other - but the gauge on this reads about 5psi below.

I needed to use it recently when my dad got stranded with a run down battery (left the radio on and forgot about it!) and it did the job it was intended for and got it started. But its only a small 1.2 petrol unit with a small battery, and there was a bit of life left in it and this was enough just to give it sufficient oomph to turn it over. I'm not convinced it would have worked if the battery had been completely flat, or it had been a bigger battery (for example for a diesel engine)

Another issue is that the jump cables are a bit short, and as I was on my own when I used it I had to wedge the unit firmly in place under the bonnet to make sure it didn't move when I turned over the engine.

All in all then, a fairly basic unit that's robustly made, but not the highest quality. Will give some useful extra kick to a partially discharged battery and I have to speak as I find, and say it worked as it should when I needed it to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only use for petrol cars - Silverline 234578, 13 Nov. 2012
LAWRENCE HOOPER (England) - See all my reviews
Bought this portable car battery a couple of weeks ago. Was unable to start a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI - To be fair the battery was totally flat as the car had not been used for 1 year. It got the headlights and radio working +central locking etc. The engine showed no signs of starting, even though there is no actual fault with the car. It simply has not been used. I charged the silverline for another hour and watched the power drain off into the skoda's battery using the amp meter on the side of the battery. Still no good. I had charged the silverline for at least 12 hours as recommended on the battery itself. This device may be ok for starting a car that has a low battery but if it is completely flat then forget it. I have not tried the tyre pump as yet but judging by the very dodgy looking build quality I will not hold my breath. I would highly recommend spending a little more money to buy something better.

*****

Update by Lawrence Hooper - This Silverline jump starter is actually better than I first realised and would like to give it 3 stars instead of just 1. The main problem is that it is simply not able to jump start a diesel powered car. I have since started two petrol powered cars without a problem. Also, the tyre inflator works pretty well on both bicyle tyres and car tyres. The pressure gauge does not work (but you can't have everything for £35 or so pounds). All in all I would now recomend this product for petrol powered cars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 10 April 2012
I have tried this on 2 different vehicles that had been sitting for a couple of weeks and both times it failed miserably,, don't waste your money.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Jump Charger., 31 Oct. 2010
Mr. H. T. LLOYD (England.) - See all my reviews
I have had a jump starter in the past,but this brand looks and sounds in a better class, I have used it a few times and am very pleased with the way it operates,

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpy Life Saving!, 27 July 2011
I go to Uni and live 3 hours away from my parents and pretty much anyone I know who has a car and as petrols so expensive sometimes I can go 2 weeks + without driving it. The battery's not very new either and often gets flat quickly. Step up the Silverline Jump Starter! As I mentioned when I was due to go home for Easter I was panicking as I don't have any mates who could drive and give me jump start so I took a plunge and purchased one of these. Last year my item of the year that I brought was my SatNav. This year it could well be this - I think of it THAT highly. After charging it sufficiently I gave it ago and it jump started it absolutely perfectly. You'll have to leave it running for a good 5 maybe 10mins depending on how flat your battery is. My car was parked on a public road and it does make quite a loud sound which can be embarrassing for some but its a small price to pay for this product.

My Dad needed his tyres pumped when I arrived home not long ago and I remembered the Silverline Starter had an air compressor, though I usually go to the petrol station to do my tyres so hadn't tried it. I may not bother any more as that worked fine as well. I think he had trouble originally fitting it on tight enough so it got a reading but after 2 or 3 goes we left it on and it did the job perfectly. He was very impressed and said how it was infinitely better to his one as the fact its charged through the mains means if your tyres do need pumping you don't have to connect it to the cigarette lighter in your car like he used to - thus draining the cars power.

So to conclude if like me you need something to jump your car and don't know anyone who can help - don't fret! Buy this and you'll never have to worry again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Air compressor faulty, 22 Dec. 2011
Not sure if I received a faulty batch, but I tried to use the air compressor today and it does not work. When I switch on the air compressor, a loud motor starts up but no air comes out of the tube. On closer inspection, the motor starts up, but the connection seems to be loose. When I wiggle the pipe, then air starts to come out but not very strong. And this method causes sparks to come out of the motor and a different sound, like there is something scraping the motor.

I reported this to Silverline (just a week after 30 days since I bought it) and they said it is covered under a 3 year warranty, but I have to pay for carriage costs. For the carriage cost, I might as well buy a tyre air compressor! See email I received below from Silverline. I find this very poor, as most people will also not check the air compressor until they need it, as I bought this primarily for the jump starter. I hope Amazon will step in, as this is very poor for a product to fail just after one month, especially for something you might not use until you need it! In cases like these, it puts you off buying from the internet. Even ebay shops gives better returns service!

Thank you for submitting your 'Guarantee Claim Form'. These are the details we have of your claim:

We now need to inspect the product and there are some simple, but important points to follow before you dispatch it to us:
1. Completely drain all fluids such as fuel, oil and water.
2. Return all accessories, such as batteries, chargers, and hoses.
3. Package the product securely and safely as we cannot be responsible for any loss or damage during transit to us. We do not refund carriage
4. Print this page, attach your Extended Guarantee Certificate and Sales Receipt to it and place it inside your package with the product.
5. We are unable to accept personal deliveries of products to our Head Office.

Please complete all of these points - Your claim cannot proceed if they are not all met.
Once we have received and inspected your claim, we will contact you by email.

Thank you.
Silverline Tools Service Centre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Siverline 234578 900 Watt 12Ah Jump Starter, 19 Dec. 2010
This is well built product and started my 1.8 Vauxhall engine first time. The only thing that prevented me giving this a 5 star review was I think the leads that connect to the battery are a little short and had to find a suitable resting place within the engine compartment to rest the unit on.