Edition: MillionheirChange

VINE VOICEon 2 January 2009
With Mystery Case Files : MillionHeir you are the detective, and have to 'solve' a number of puzzles to ascertain who the kidnapper is. Now when I say 'solve', all you have to do is search through a scene related to the crime to find all the items listed which are hidden in the picture.
Now I love these type of games, especially when you have to concentrate and I can while away many hours with this game quite happily but it all depends on your tastes - this is not a point and click adventure, just a bit of fun. It is highly addictive but after playing it you will maybe not get as much replay value as with other games - once you have found everything, because there are not that many different scenes to go through, you will remember where most items are.
All in all a great game for those who like this genre. Another game due for release soon, Mystery PI is very similar but this one is the best of the two.
0Comment129 of 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2009
The title and case for this game is a bit misleading, but once I'd gotten over the disappointment that this was not another Professor Layton I started to enjoy the game. Basically, there is a 'Detective-style' story that you follow, but you never get involved in any real detection, analysis or problem-solving. Instead, you are asked to find 'clues' at various locations and these clues are hidden in incredibly detailed pictures. The items you search for have no bearing on the case in hand, for example, in one location you might have to find a gnome, tennis ball, pen, clock, kangaroo, wrench, football., etc etc). When you have found all the items in this location, you move to the next location. Its a bit like Where's Wally, but you are looking for objects, not Wally! The objects can be tricky to find and some are ingeniously hidden in the location. Its a simple concept and fairly addictive, but searching for these hidden objects is about 90% of the game. So if you don't like the sound of that it's probably not the game for you!

As you continue to find objects the background story unfolds, but the story moves along almost as a reward for you finding the required objects at each location. To add a bit of interest sometimes you need x-ray goggles or a torch to find the items, but ultimately it only holds your interest because of the ingenuity of how the items are hidden in the pictures. I'm not sure I'd say its relaxing to play as you can end up peering at the screen in frustration trying to find something!
I've given it 3 stars, but would have given it 3.5 to be fair.
0Comment62 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2009
What more could anyone want?!!
This is the perfect game for all those amoungst us who love hidden object games and want to play them on the go. It kept myself and my neice happily occupied on a four hour plane flight, and is the perfect diversion when you've got a few minutes to spare... although like most hidden object games 'a few minutes' invariably turns into ' just one more scene'!!
Big Fish have stayed loyal to their Mystery Case Files range of games, using the same basic format as the PC version while incorporating the DS features to add a bit of variety.
The story revolves around a missing millionaire, the search for his Will and subsequently his heir.
Graphicaly the scenes are great. The whole scene is displayed on the top screen of the DS, while the magnifyed picture is shown on the lower screen. You scroll around using the stylus pen or the cursor keys, then when you find the object tap it with the pen. Some objects can only be found using tools which you acquire as you progress through the game.
After completing the later levels there are also sub games.
It can be played in rookie (untimed, more hints) or detective mode, with an option to unlock a harder level once the game is completed.
Never played this type of game before? Give it a go!
Basicaly you are given a picture full of clutter and a list of objects that you have to find. Doesn't sound that interesting? Trust me - it is!
The pictures are very intricate, and some of the items are very cleverly blended into other objects.
I would happily recommend MillionHeir whether you're a seasoned hidden object game player or new to this type of game.
ENJOY!!
on 27 January 2009
I'm really surprised at some of the low scores for this game. I bought it in the States in October and both myself and my daughter aged 10 were totally addicted to it. In fact it's the first game I've finished instead of getting bored with. Yes it is repetitive but it's so challenging trying to find the elusive items in the different locations. Give it a go it's like no other game, you won't get bored.
0Comment35 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2009
I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of ds games and have discovered that i thoroughly enjoy the point and click genre. I found this game totally addictive and couldn't put it down until i finished it. I'm now suffering withdrawal symptoms and am trying to find another similar game, am looking to see whether there is a sequel to this game...... I do hope so!It's not a hard game, but you do have to focus and find and click on the right item,it's not a hard game but it is an enthralling and addictive one!
on 5 March 2009
i loved this on PC so i was happy when i heard it was coming out on DS. it is a good game on the DS but the screen just seems a bit small - you need to have good eyesight for it!!
on 1 March 2009
This is a good game in general and is quite addictive. However, I did not find the game challenging enough and I completed it very quickly which is disappointing.
I would recommend it if you like puzzle games but not if you want something really challenging and long lasting
on 12 April 2010
Thoroughly enjoyed this game, was dubious about buying this game as one of the reviews said it was very repetitive,I thought it might be like mystery stories which kept going to the same scenes over and over again which i found very boring.There were lots of different scenes in it.Some objects require you to put your detective skills to the test, like sliced bread, you find the bread and then have to slice it with your stylus. During the course of the game you have to use special tools to complete your quest,like super straw,something blocking your view,blow it out of the way.I would recomend this game to anyone who likes finding objects games.
on 25 June 2009
...if you have enjoyed professor layton and are looking for a similar game, I don't think this is the right game for you. On the other hand if you enjoy spot the difference or where's Wally, this game is for you.

You have to look at different rooms and search for requested items such as a bell, a pie or a duck. Some times you need to use a torch or x ray vision goggles. It can get boring and repetitve at time however there are a few other puzzels at certain points which are quite original and entertaining. The story and characters are a strange cartoon style and are quite gimicy.

***
on 20 February 2009
I'm not usually one to review anything on here, but I really want to stand up for this game and tell people to give it a chance!
Most of the bad reviews its getting seem to be from people who bought it looking for a Professor Layton replacement. Its not the same kind of game!....so not really a fair comparison. My boyfriend bought me this as a present - and I must say I was slightly disappointed as I really wanted Professor Layton! But once I started playing it, I really enjoyed it. Its one of those games you can just sit down and play without having to think too hard. Which is exactly what I want after a long day at work! I'm yet to complete it, as I have only had it a few days and don't get much chance to play so I can't comment on its longevity. The graphics are great though, the game 'looks' very good which adds to its appeal. If you are looking for a game to keep your brain whizzing at 100 miles an hour - then this is not for you. However, if you want something to while away a few hours as you cozy on the sofa - then this is just up your street.!
In the supermarket yesterday I spotted a copy of Professor Layton, I quickly bought it and excitedly opened it as soon as I got home. Yes the graphics are great and story is good. The puzzles are well thought out and interesting....but after 30 mins, I popped Millionheir back in my DS and sat down contented.