on 24 September 2008
We took our 21mth old to see the premiere of this film on the weekend.
He was mesmorised!
The film is one hour long episode broken up by songs - it kept our toddler entertained!
It has a great story line for the older kids.
The remix of the Thomas song at the end is awesome!
Would recommend this for any avid Thomas fan - would make a great christmas present!
on 11 November 2008
Having been subjected to the whole 8 series keeping the little ones occupied I was curious to see how this would work with a new voice and clearly american take on the tales.

Well the addition of Pierce Brosnan's voice as the narrator is a great choice and the story and songs kept my 23 month old captivated and happy for several hours. The songs are a change and he jiggles around to them with glee. The extras keep him entertained as well.

This makes a great gift to any thomas fan.
Thomas & Friends - The Great Discovery (Classic old style Thomas)
The Great Discovery is a 2008 feature-length movie and film spin-off of the TV series, Thomas and Friends. The film is a follow up, not a direct sequel (though it does feature some of the same characters) to Thomas and the Magic Railroad and a sequel to Calling All Engines! The DVD was released on the 6 October 2008. Pierce Brosnan was featured as a guest narrator.

I didn't think I would enjoy The Great Discovery due to it having Pierce Brosnan as the narrator. But it wasn't THAT bad. It was by no means perfect as we are all used to the normal guy, but after 15mins you get used to it. Oh and as for the special Thomas - You're the Leader song at the end of the film, well it's been stuck in my head all day lol. Loved this DVD.

The main film is 1 hour long, plus Introducing Stanley, Select A Song, and Follow The Whistle as extras. The film also includes full subtitles.
on 23 March 2009
Money well spent. My son is three and we live in Kent near a heritage railway. He loves trains in all shapes and sizes and asks for this DVD again and again. There are several short songs sung by children and there are all the familiar Thomas characters and some new ones as well (someone in marketing has clearly done their homework as presumably all these characters are now on sale in the shops!).

Watch out for the (frankly bizarre) rap version of the Thomas song at the end.
on 29 June 2009
My three year old son is addicted to Thomas and friends, so buying him this new video was a no brainer. Unlike the other videos that he has, however, he has only watched this one two or three times. in other words he doesn't really like it. Several points to make:

- To be honest the story seems rather convoluted and Thomas behaves out of character. Why introduce yet another engine when the existing cast is so extensive? (HIT probably wants to tell expensive toy models)

- Pierce Brosnon was an unusual choice for the narrator, but does a fair job of telling the story.

- Visually the story is still engaging but I would like to see HIT produce a CGI version of Thomas with different actor's voices for each of the engines.

- I would like to see more of the original story brought to life and to develop the existing characters a bit more.

All in all, this is an average video not a great one. It didn't cost much, so maybe i am criticizing it for something it never set out to be. What i am saying is that you may be better of with buying some of the other series rather than this.

on 3 February 2009
Purchased this DVD for my 3 year old son for Christmas who is an avid "Thomas" fan. He watches the video religiously and loves singing along to the songs in the story which are very catchy that even my 13 year old daughter is hooked on them. I found it to be a very educational and fun DVD to watch and suitable for children of any age who love Thomas the Tank Engine.
on 28 October 2009
We bought this dvd for our son's birthday, he is four. We all sat down to watch this and what a shock to hear Pierce Brosnon's voice as narrator. He was so grinding and there was no expression in his voice at all. My little boy only watched it twice if that and it has gone to the bottom of the pile of Thomas dvds. I even think it put him off for a while to watch anymore Thomas. Thankfully he has got back into the old ones which are so much better.
on 23 January 2009
My son loves trains, loves Thomas. He has had the books read to him time and again, he has watched the videos/dvds. We got him this for Christmas and he managed half an hour before he got bored.
No emotion in the narration and a silly story line.
Living OFF Thomas's reputation and not UP to it.
on 28 December 2010
Having two sons who are avid Thomas fans - one of 5 and one of 2, I was keen to get this movie for them - particularly with Stanley in it as he was a new train to us. Unfortunately Pierce Brosnan as narrator killed it. Their interest went after the first half an hour - as did mine.

Although Mr Brosnan tries to put life into the characters his tones are too monotone, and he puts accents onto some of the voices for the trains, but changes them all the time - one minute Geordie, the next Manchester or Irish - all for the same train. It makes it confusing and difficult to follow.

My two loved The Magic Railway (a proper Thomas movie - not animation - with Alec Baldwin) and we now have Misty Island Rescue, which they have both been glued to, but the Great Discovery film gets ignored. Such a shame!
on 16 January 2016
The last Thomas story using both model trains and clay faces throughout. A brilliant personal story that follows Thomas as he discovers a new area of Sodor and watches as he deals with jealousy over the new engine Stanley. A fitting story to say good bye to the old way of doing things, concentrating on the main cast that we know and love with beautiful environments and a few thrilling moments that the kids love to watch. This is also the first feature length film that kicks off a yearly tradition of one being released a year from this point. Thomas fans old and new will love and appreciate this and even mum may be drawn into watching it just to here Pierce Brosnans voice as he narrates the film in place off Michael Angelis.