on 8 July 2009
This is another dvd in the Thomas & Friends series we purchased and it too is fantastic. Thomas & Friends: The Great Discovery [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]There is a part in the story where Thomas discovers an old town and he tells everyone and the Fat controller deceides to get everyone to help in the re-building of the town. Brilliant storyline and superb modelling as usual. I can relate to all Thomas's stories because I am in the process of building a model railway layout and Thomas and Friends is so full of ideas that watch them with my grandson, religously, every day. Great storyline and characters - go get it now. Highly recommended.
on 2 February 2009
Bought this for my 3 yr old as he is a massive Thomas fan, he absolutely adores this feature length DVD to the point where we are thinking of hiding it so that we can get a break!!
on 9 August 2013
I can't say I am overly keen on Pierce Brosnan's narration but then I didn't buy the film for myself. My sons love it which is the main thing, so much so that they killed the first copy so I have had to buy another one to replace it. It is a nice story where Thomas discovers a lost town. Thomas has a tantrum however when a new engine arrives on the island and as a result he runs off. There are some catchy songs which children can sing along to and subsequently so will any adult as the tunes tend to stick in your head. I would recommend this movie for any Thomas fan, young and old!
on 8 May 2011
My 3 year old son and I really enjoyed this film. It is a rollercoaster of fun from start to finish. The songs are very catchy and my son can already sing most of them afer only a few watches - I even find myself singing them! If your child likes naughty engines and crashes and biffs in the style of the earlier Thomas stories than this is the one for them. Initially, Pierece Brosnans voiceover is a bit disconcerting, being used to Micheal Angelis and Ringo Star, but you soon get used to it.
on 1 February 2009
Thomas and Friends - The Great Discovery [2008]

well i bought this for my son on his fourth birthday,big thomas fan,very excited when he got it,watched it thru a few times on his birthday,has not watch it since and has gone back to watching his older video's and dvds of thomas,i've watched it and i must say it's bland now that michael angelis is not voicing it any more ,there is no character in p. brosnan's voice but this is really for the bland american market. i pity the little boys who are just about to get into thomas,percy and co as mr brosnan is a fine actor but rubbish at telling thomas stories(my opinion) and obviosly my four year old son agrees as he has buried it at the bottom of his collection.
on 23 July 2012
What on earth gave the makers of this film the idea of using Pierce Brosnan as the narrator. What a boring expressionless voice he has for a childs film. My 4 year old kept asking when the real man was going to start telling the story. We found it very distracting hearing his voice, and completely lost thread of the story. My son said he never wants to watch this dvd again. Disapointed.
on 4 September 2009
I bought this video for my 5 year old son, he specifically asked for this video. And i have to say, he really enjoyed every single minute of the video. In the first few days, my son must have watched this video about 5 or 6 times. Pierce Brosnan does the narration for the video and he was excellent!

Its gets 10 out of 10 in my books for value!
on 13 March 2010
Purchased for a long trip in the car. It was a huge hit with my three and a half year old son. I ask him what he thought of the DVD and how much he liked it and he replied 'lots and lots and lots' - so you see how good it is!! I found it a bit strange listening to Pierce Bronson's voice but my son didn't even notice the change.
on 14 January 2009
Although I adore Pearce Brosnan as an actor, his voice does not compare to the more versatile voices of Michael Vangelis or Ringo Star. Both my boys love Thomas but they are so used the other voices that this made the new DVD a bit dull and did not keep them interested at all. In fact they go back to the previous dvd's they own and watch those instead.
on 13 January 2010
Have been Thomas fans for years, and bought this for our youngest. Getting Pierce Brosnan to do the narration was a dreadful error, and I note they haven't done it since - and if they do I hope the guys running Hit Entertainment go bust they'd deserve to.

Not sure what it is about feature films, but this is basically the second bad mistake in the Thomas franchise, only outdone by the first feature film with the girl from Matilda and various other expensive actors but not much plot and the pointless introduction of a 'lady' train - Britt Allcroft has done us all proud over the years, so we'll forgive her that particular foible.

If I could buy a new audio soundtrack for this film, I would, and am sure it would be fine. As it is, I now have to leave the room when it's on and I expect it'll be down the charity shop before the month is out.

Brosnan's accent is all over the place, his voice is all over the place, and I cannot believe they even made him audition. I like Brosnan as an actor, and would even go so far as to say I was a fan, but some actors can do voiceovers and some can't, and he just can't.