on 24 September 2008
We took our 21mth old to see the premiere of this film on the weekend.
He was mesmorised!
The film is one hour long episode broken up by songs - it kept our toddler entertained!
It has a great story line for the older kids.
The remix of the Thomas song at the end is awesome!
Would recommend this for any avid Thomas fan - would make a great christmas present!
on 11 November 2008
Having been subjected to the whole 8 series keeping the little ones occupied I was curious to see how this would work with a new voice and clearly american take on the tales.

Well the addition of Pierce Brosnan's voice as the narrator is a great choice and the story and songs kept my 23 month old captivated and happy for several hours. The songs are a change and he jiggles around to them with glee. The extras keep him entertained as well.

This makes a great gift to any thomas fan.
on 16 January 2016
The last Thomas story using both model trains and clay faces throughout. A brilliant personal story that follows Thomas as he discovers a new area of Sodor and watches as he deals with jealousy over the new engine Stanley. A fitting story to say good bye to the old way of doing things, concentrating on the main cast that we know and love with beautiful environments and a few thrilling moments that the kids love to watch. This is also the first feature length film that kicks off a yearly tradition of one being released a year from this point. Thomas fans old and new will love and appreciate this and even mum may be drawn into watching it just to here Pierce Brosnans voice as he narrates the film in place off Michael Angelis.
on 9 August 2013
I can't say I am overly keen on Pierce Brosnan's narration but then I didn't buy the film for myself. My sons love it which is the main thing, so much so that they killed the first copy so I have had to buy another one to replace it. It is a nice story where Thomas discovers a lost town. Thomas has a tantrum however when a new engine arrives on the island and as a result he runs off. There are some catchy songs which children can sing along to and subsequently so will any adult as the tunes tend to stick in your head. I would recommend this movie for any Thomas fan, young and old!
Thomas & Friends - The Great Discovery (Classic old style Thomas)
The Great Discovery is a 2008 feature-length movie and film spin-off of the TV series, Thomas and Friends. The film is a follow up, not a direct sequel (though it does feature some of the same characters) to Thomas and the Magic Railroad and a sequel to Calling All Engines! The DVD was released on the 6 October 2008. Pierce Brosnan was featured as a guest narrator.

I didn't think I would enjoy The Great Discovery due to it having Pierce Brosnan as the narrator. But it wasn't THAT bad. It was by no means perfect as we are all used to the normal guy, but after 15mins you get used to it. Oh and as for the special Thomas - You're the Leader song at the end of the film, well it's been stuck in my head all day lol. Loved this DVD.

The main film is 1 hour long, plus Introducing Stanley, Select A Song, and Follow The Whistle as extras. The film also includes full subtitles.
on 28 October 2009
We bought this dvd for our son's birthday, he is four. We all sat down to watch this and what a shock to hear Pierce Brosnon's voice as narrator. He was so grinding and there was no expression in his voice at all. My little boy only watched it twice if that and it has gone to the bottom of the pile of Thomas dvds. I even think it put him off for a while to watch anymore Thomas. Thankfully he has got back into the old ones which are so much better.
on 23 July 2012
What on earth gave the makers of this film the idea of using Pierce Brosnan as the narrator. What a boring expressionless voice he has for a childs film. My 4 year old kept asking when the real man was going to start telling the story. We found it very distracting hearing his voice, and completely lost thread of the story. My son said he never wants to watch this dvd again. Disapointed.
on 1 February 2009
Thomas and Friends - The Great Discovery [2008]

well i bought this for my son on his fourth birthday,big thomas fan,very excited when he got it,watched it thru a few times on his birthday,has not watch it since and has gone back to watching his older video's and dvds of thomas,i've watched it and i must say it's bland now that michael angelis is not voicing it any more ,there is no character in p. brosnan's voice but this is really for the bland american market. i pity the little boys who are just about to get into thomas,percy and co as mr brosnan is a fine actor but rubbish at telling thomas stories(my opinion) and obviosly my four year old son agrees as he has buried it at the bottom of his collection.
on 14 January 2009
Although I adore Pearce Brosnan as an actor, his voice does not compare to the more versatile voices of Michael Vangelis or Ringo Star. Both my boys love Thomas but they are so used the other voices that this made the new DVD a bit dull and did not keep them interested at all. In fact they go back to the previous dvd's they own and watch those instead.
on 23 March 2009
Money well spent. My son is three and we live in Kent near a heritage railway. He loves trains in all shapes and sizes and asks for this DVD again and again. There are several short songs sung by children and there are all the familiar Thomas characters and some new ones as well (someone in marketing has clearly done their homework as presumably all these characters are now on sale in the shops!).

Watch out for the (frankly bizarre) rap version of the Thomas song at the end.