4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the box
I bought this product mainly for its spreadsheet and word processing applications. Both are very easy to use and similar to Excel and Word which I use at work. If Ability Office has any significant weaknesses, I haven't found them yet and have no hesitation in recommending this software for home or business use.
Published on 10 Sept. 2009 by P. T. Savage

3.0 out of 5 stars If price is important, this is good enough.
The best thing about this is the price.

Published on 10 Oct. 2010 by Glasgow Dreamer

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the box, 10 Sept. 2009
P. T. Savage (London) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 28 April 2009
This review is from: Ability Office Home (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I was a bit sceptical about the claim of compatibily with Microsoft, but I needn't have been. So far, it's all good and Ability Office home does exactly what it says it will. It's slightly different of course, but anyone with some experience with Excel, Word, etc, should have no problems at all. The lack of an instruction booklet was worrying, but it's extremely easy to install, and again, should prove no problem to anyone at all familiar with computers. I would recommend to anyone looking for a cost-effective alternative to MS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy more than you need?, 24 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Ability Office Home (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Not familiar with the previous version as I am new to computing. However, this version of Office Suite was purchased for me by a friend as a birthday gift. As a budding family historian I needed something to write up my findings in essay form, also to write my own story and this package was suggested to me from my friends previous experience. How right that suggestion turned out to be.
It it perfectly adequate for my needs so I'm glad I wasn't talked into buying an expensive package such as Microsoft with facilities you don't need or use.
Wouldn't want to be without it now, Brilliant all round!

3.0 out of 5 stars If price is important, this is good enough., 10 Oct. 2010
Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The best thing about this is the price.

That's not really very fair, because this package does just about everything as well as the Microsoft Office package it is so obviously mimicking; and in some areas it does more, e.g. the graphics and photo-editing software. So it really is all you'll need, without Microsoft's hefty price. It doesn't have the polished, professional look of the MS alternative, and while I can't quite put my finger on it, I don't find it as "dependable" or "businesslike" as it could/should be.

In addition, it doesn't seem to be as stable as the MS option. Several times components of this package have failed to open, and occasionally have crashed for no apparent reason.

In addition, there is also the continal nag screen, begging you to register, which pops up every time you open any component. Past experience has taught me not to register, as to do so inevitably results in enormous amounts of spam, both from the software company and their many somewhat tenuously "associated companies." I'm not saying that would definitely have been the outcome here, but my own feeling is that it probably would.

Overall, this is a perfectly good cheaper alternative to MS Office, but it doesn't quite get away from the impression that it is a somewhat amateur alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as gold, 27 Dec. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this as my 60 day MS Office trial was expiring on my new Netbook. Easy to install: placed the CD in my external drive, went straight to autoplay, and loaded directly after asking the usual questions (answer "yes" to them all). There is a small instruction pamphlet included, with the all important serial number. The software can be installed on two computers.
Once installed you have 60 days to register online, but can use all the functions/features without registering immediately. I have not registered yet, and note some of the reviews comment on difficulty registering, so will update this review later.

The programmes included are:
Write - Microsoft Word compatible word processing
Spreadsheet - Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet
Presentation - Microsoft Powerpoint compatible slideshow presentation
Photopaint - Adobe Photoshop compatible photo and graphics editor
Photoalbum - Digital image organiser
Draw - Vector-based line drawing software

The files can be saved in a number of format options, including MS office files i.e. .ppt or .doc. The applications themselves have most of the features you find in the original MS, but more importantly, has all the commonly used ones. The "Word" equivalent even has a pdf creator, which is extremely convenient.
All in all, am very pleased that I did not have to fork out for the original MS version while not having to compromise on quality or function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top drawer software, 5 Sept. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'ASI Ability Office Home - a powerful, compatible and best of all, affordable Office applications suite for Windows-based PCs and Notebooks'
Ability Office Home features 6 different programs and is very easy to use.
You get 6 commonly needed things plus some extras, a photo and image editor, graphics programme and a vector line drawing programme. You don't need much to start using this software because it is very user friendly, you can use it quite easily from using other software packages, the bits you know apply here.
It doesn't use very much hard drive space which is always a bonus for my crammed laptop, no loss of speed has been noted.
You can also use it for two home pcs/laptops, many homes have more than one computer thesedays so that good to know, add that to the low price and this one is a winner.

The main programmes are-

Write - Microsoft Word compatible word processing.
Spreadsheet - Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet.
Presentation - Microsoft Powerpoint compatible slideshow presentation.
Photopaint - Adobe Photoshop compatible photo and graphics editor.
Photoalbum - Digital image organiser.
Draw - Vector-based line drawing and layout software.
One click PDF creation.
Includes FREE lifetime email and web support.
Six Essential Office Applications in One Suite

In a very competitive field of software sales this one stands out from the rest on price, content and usability.
Top marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent product that belies its' small price, 31 Oct. 2010
s "s" (north west) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This software is installed on my Daughters machine for use at University.Microsoft Office was too expensive an option.Obviously,with such a low price we were a little concerned that it would be a pale imitation of Office but we needn't have worried.It performs more than adequately and is compatible with the Windows software.If you are looking for a reasonably priced Office Suite that punches above its' price tag,then look no further.Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars super software, 22 May 2010
J. M. Currie (Sallisbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ability Office Home (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I chose this software because I was having a problem with Works Spreadsheet. Ability software is soo easy to use I am amazed at the quality for the price. One asks Why is Microsoft so expensive? perhaps that is naive. Anyway I am very happy with Ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great low cost alternative to having to buy microsoft office, 23 Aug. 2010
Jason Jesson "Jason J" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We all know the problem with Microsoft office - it's cost! I recently needed to wipe my hard drive and start again, only to find the disks were missing and Microsoft bluntly advised me the go and buy it again!

Luckily, I spotted Ability. Using it does remind me of the early word and powerpoint versions from the early 1990s. The 'word' compatible program is my main area of use for letters, and the one I wanted to begin with.

Loading takes a while, as with all large programs, but I have to say how easy it is to use. I can use the files with my email program and recipients have been able to open and read as usual.

The powerpoint type presentation suite is also really straightforward. I have to do a lot of presentations and found that I could copy, paste, add images and play with text just as easily as with powerpoint.

A real benefit with this program is that it's so simple to use it's great for those who perhaps are developing thier pc skills. I'm not saying it's basic, it isn't, just easy to use - and that means a lot with the complex nature of some software out there!

The next bonus is the price. It's a tenth of the price of a decent office package and this is also windows 7 compatible.

Another benefit here would be to the many microsoft users who bought the microsoft upgrade offer from xp to 7 recently. Office wasn't included and 7 isn't compatible with early office applications as they are now considered obsolete by microsoft UK.

So, overall a great alternative to Microsoft and great to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid, basic but functional software, 3 Sept. 2010
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and is based on the totally free Sun Open office suite.
The advantage is the couple of extra programs included that Open Office does not have.

It installs on XP, VISTA (yah boo hiss) and Windows 7 without a hassle.

There is cross functionality with documents from MS office, so it reads and writes documents to share.
It does not do the heavy duty stuff that Office thrives on - but most people don't need all the weird stuff in Word or Excel, ie the graphing is much more basic.

The PowerPoint like module will produce a display - but its not on par with the real thing at all.

For the average Home user, SOHO or especially students, its blooping marvellous.
The licence allows use on two machines, ie the laptop and the home PC; or both the teenagers homework PC's; if they can find time for it amongst all those shoot 'em up games and Facebook rubbish.

Recommended.

Ability Office Home (PC CD)
Ability Office Home (PC CD) by Ability (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)