5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, but very profound
I've recently moved to Minnesota from Texas and decided I would take the opportunity to make more meaningful adjustments in my life. The title perfectly described what I hoped to accomplish.
Published on 17 May 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Trying hard but still in the rah-rah category...
To be fair, this book is not without its pluses. Chandler is at times funny and perceptive, and this comes across in his writing in some punchy and hilarious lines. However, as a guide to life adjustment this book does not make up the mark.

Published on 28 May 2009 by Book Maven

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, but very profound, 17 May 1999
By A Customer
At first, I found Steve's language too light and felt I was reading another 'rah-rah' book. I normally prefer the analytical writing of people like Scott Peck, but the more I read, the more profound I found Steve's message.
I found the chapter on the 'ladder of selves' quite interesting and put it to use not fifteen minutes after reading it with very good results. I've found it's helped me control my temper and provides me with a more balanced perspective.
I'm surprised Steve is not better known. I had never heard of him before this book and truly hope he gains more exposure.

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy changed my life!, 29 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Unbelievable book! Just what I needed! Steve Chandler has given me a whole new perspective on my life. What this book does is amazingly simple and yet amazingly powerful: it helps you get beyond the concept of having a fixed personality and encourages you to embrace a larger, more positive self-concept. Because of Steve, I see things now not only with greater clarity but also with a sense of humor that I never had before. Steve is infectiously funny, but also serious about the things that matter most. This guy changed my life, helped me get out of that idiotic victim-mentality which was dragging me down, and put me on my feet with a new vision and a new self-confidence. But don't take my word for it.... get ReInventing Yourself and see what I mean!
PS His other book, 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself, is also worth its weight in gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars This author's is gifted, 22 July 2002
By A Customer
I have read all of Steve Chandler's books and find them excellent. I take a lot of things I've learned from various sources and use them help me stay on track.
In this one I like what he says about 'people don't sing because they are happy - they are happy because they sing' and how you won't get inspired to do something until you are doing it. I love that. Whenever I feel regretful that I still didn't get around to my project I think of that, that I have to be actually doing it to get inspired and now I can report that it really works. I can't tell it the way he does, you'll need the book, it's witty and gets straight to the point so it's an enjoyable experience. I also like his 'Queen for the day' about the saddest story of all having people reward you with a limo' and a flash day out. In life, your sad stories don't usually do that - you're the also-ran who told it and got nothing, so when I'm feeling a bit whingey I think about Queen for the day - and aim for the limo' on merit rather than pity.
I like this man. Since reading '17 Lies...' I have not been able to see a person with a video camera without thinking of him - of the waste of the real experience in favour of the filmed one. There's a joke here about a tourist: when asked if he had a good holiday, he repies, 'I don't know, I haven't seen the pictures yet.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers practical insights into raising human potential., 13 Nov 1998
By A Customer
What an incredible book! Chandler's light hearted, conversational style cuts right to the quick. Powerful insights about how the human mind can elevate and alter deeply worn patterns of behavior. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trying hard but still in the rah-rah category..., 28 May 2009
Book Maven (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews

Perhaps it's the title that's misleading. Although titled 'Reinventing Yourself' this book is not about personal reinvention but about self motivation. It is basically a companion volume to Chandler's other title, 'Motivating Yourself'.

Chandler seems to think that the real problem of depressed and dispirited people is a sort of moral laziness. If we only realized that effort is its own reward we will all be bursting with energy and happiness.

I don't know much about Chandler, but it seems that he is truly unaware that life, for most humans at least, involves continuous, gargantuan effort that would put the Mr Universe contest in the shade. I am sure he does not mean to sound facile and patronizing, but this is how his 'pick yourself up into eternal bliss, you lazybones' philosophy comes across.

For those who have enjoyed his 'Motivating Yourself' this book will prove a good companion volume. For those interested in more realistic and compassionate advise on self-development and attainment, I would recommend the works of two authors who have risen to wellbeing and success against daunting real-life odds: the British John Bird's 'Ten Laws of Success' and the American John 'Mack' Machowitz's 'Unleashing the Warrior Within', both available on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightened & Inspiring, 16 Jun 2013
A refreshingly insightful and empowering read from a man too little known in this world. I will read this book many times and have my children do so as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not another useless self-help book., 3 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Steve's book is not another useless self-help, psuedo-motivational book. It gives you the tools needs to truly reinvent yourself. It gave me clarity of mind and literally rescued me from the negative thought processes that had taken control of my life. If you are reading this Steve Chandler... Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be The Owner of Your Life and Self, 7 Jun 2014
Tim Downes (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
There are two types of people in the world, those that love Steve Chandlers work and those that hate it. You can see this black or white fact in his Amazon book reviews.

I'm currently reading The Hands Off Manager, which is my eighth Chandler book in six months. I love Steve's work. His work is punchy, powerful and practical. He truly wakes you up.

This book is also about two types of people, The Owner and The Victim. The true and the false. As human beings we are blessed with the power of choice. Reinventing Yourself is how to live The Way of The Owner.

If you want a kick ass awakening to a new more powerful, happy and effective life then read this book and put Chandlers wisdom into practice.

Let go of blaming yourself, others and things that happen. Take the helm of life.

DO it! Then BE.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 7 Nov 2014
Fabulous book to be taken seriously if you want things in your life to be different - I love it. Have recommended it to several people, all love it as I do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 28 Jan 2014
Last year I had a serious mental health crisis that resulted in 5 weeks of hospital. I was lucky to go on to have treatment from the most amazing psychologist who used many techniques all based around changing thinking patterns. I went from very ill to well through this treatment and the associated reading. I think given my journey I know a thing or two about self help hence my review is measured against other reading that formed part if my recovery. I realise this book is about personal reinvention and not recovery from illness however the basis us the same - change comes from within.
The first issue I have with this book is the use of the term ' victim' for people who struggle to be optimistic and think positively.
I find this quite derogatory and as I read further I found the messages lack compassion and understand of how tough life can be for most of us some of the time.
As the boom went on I found no structure and nothing tangible that would help me to reinvent myself.
In fact I found the chapters just felt like personal ramblings that led nowhere.
Oh and it's very American in its use of language and full of references to people that are not that well known here.
I also felt all the constant Elvis references got tiresome and felt like self indulgence.
Overall just a badly written content lacking book about positive thinking. There are many many better books on the subject don't waste your money on this rubbish.