on 10 April 2009
I had to take a Dremel to this to alow it to fit my canon strobes. It isn't that difficult but the advert is clearly misleading...
on 21 March 2010
I purchased this bracket along with the light stand and studio umbrella as advertised on the page. I am using a Canon 580 EX 11 and have to say that I did not have any problems with regards to getting the combination to fit together. This unit was not made to fit a tripod and should not be purchased as such. I presume that is where the confusion comes from. This bracket is a tight fit on the light stand using the handle and a knurled screw enables you to secure the umbrella into the provided slot. The 580 EX 11 flashgun slides into the slot easily and can be tightened by sliding the lever as you would do when mounted to the camera. I cannot comment on the older 580 version as it may have a thicker sole plate than version 11. Version 11 comes with a metal sole plate. I award this product five stars as the whole setup as advertised does a perfect job and I highly recommend it if using the Canon 580 EX 11 flashgun along with the other products advertised on this page.
Aquarrian

Photography Light Stand for professional photo studio photolamps33" Inch 84cm Pro STUDIO Umbrella Professional Photographic Translucent White Soft light Diffuser/ reflector (White)
on 15 September 2008
This unit does not fit CANON 430EX OR 580EX Which have a slight taper . I have purchased 2 of these for my 580 and 430 and had to file the flash shoe holder to make fit on both occasions not a big job you will need a metal file . but that done now they are doing what they were made to do very well.
on 29 August 2008
The description of this product states..
"This flash shoe has threads in the base suitable for screwing onto a standard tripod bolt."
This is incorrect. There is no 1/4" whitworth thread on this unit.

Stephen
on 16 August 2009
These are cheap Chinese-made units. The Manfrotto equivalent is nearly 3x the price. And it shows.
The product description has recently been changed by the supplier to reflect the fact that there is no threaded bush in the bottom of the unit, just screw-in clamp. Therefore, this unit isn't as secure as the more expensive types that do screw down onto your light stands - it's OK, just always check if you move the stand to a new position.
As regards other buyer's comments about modifying the slot to accept their 430 & 580's; I have a 430 EX II and it fit's fine. Maybe Canon changed the soleplate on the MkII?
And the flash shoe should be fixed relative to the umbrella clamp. This is so your flash points at the centre of the umbrella for maximum reflection / diffusion. If you have a fixed flash gun, you just need to move the umbrella backwards or forwards to set this relation correctly.

I rate these at three stars - they do the job for me, and are cheap. They just not as polished (quite literally actually) as the more costly alternatives.
on 24 July 2009
Amazon have a 'buy these together' button complete with the information that everybody else bought this with the cheap light stand (which has 1/4" thread on top), but it just doesn't fit it very well, I guess there's an extra piece missing. You CAN use it with the 1/4" thread if you just attempt to tighten the screw into the side of the thread, it will hold up as long as nothing is going to be touching the stand or adaptor, but it's so weak I constantly worry about my flash going for a ride.
on 24 December 2008
This item is supposed to accept Nikon SB600 flash gun. It doesn't!
The flash shoe is fixed with the umbrella clamp, not allowing the angle of the flash to be independently altered.
on 18 December 2010
If there is one thing a product should do is at least work as described.
This ---DOES NOT FIT A CANON 580EX--- so this product gets a zero. I have seen other
people saying it does fit???? really... or they have had to file it down to fit. I on
the other hand am not going to botch my gear to 'make it fit' thanks. I know you get
what you pay for but it shouldn't be listed as fitting flash units that it definitely doesn't.
on 30 December 2011
The main body of the item is fine. It is solid and the ratchet mechanism is positive. This stops the head from slipping even if it is quite heavy. The double ended adapter can be removed completely so you can attach the unit to a stand tube, a 1/4" threaded mount or a 3/8" threaded mount.

The failing of this item is the shoe itself. The shoe is plastic and the knurled screw that tightens the shoe up is a poor fit in the thread. On mine it turns inside the thread and when I attached my flash to the shoe and tightened it up the whole mechanism sprang apart and the flash fell off. Thankfully I caught the flash and it didn't hit the floor. I have removed the shoe and use the 1/4" thread to screw directly into my optical slave unit. I don't really need the shoe so am not that precious about it, but if you do need the shoe to fit your flash to I recommend getting another item and not this one. The manufacturing tolerances just aren't good enough. The rest of the item is reasonable, but I cannot give it better than two stars.
on 7 August 2009
Do not buy...this items description is miss leading..it is not suitable for a SB-800....so loose it falls off......returned but no refund for my postage of £1.60