Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 July 2009
Rokia Traoré, one of Mali's most talented creative musicians, has such a distinctive voice that you will always recognize her and each time you listen to her music you are enraptured! The songs on her new CD are no exception. They are softer and gentler in tone and also more worldly than those of her previous collections, bringing elements from other music cultures into her harmonies. Yet, the ten songs, all but one written, composed and arranged by her, are very much her unique blend.

Five years after her great hit CD, the exquisite Bowmboï, whose rhythms and tonality enchanted audiences all over the world, TCHAMANTCHE will in no way lack in enthusiastic listeners. Still grounded in the traditional Mali tunes, rhythms and instruments, Rokia Traoré has found her own musical style.

Singing primarily in her own language, Bambana, Tchamantché, meaning "balance", Traoré's songs beautifully capture general human themes from personal love, spirituality and respect for Mali's traditions. (The accompanying booklet provides English and French translations). Even with her tribute to Billy Holliday, THE MAN I LOVE, the only song in this collection not written by her, she succeeds in making it very much her own song. The more you listen, the more the songs get under your skin. [Friederike Knabe]
on 4 February 2009
The intimacy of her voice and songs make it irrelevant that one can't understand the words (although a translation is provided). Tchamantche is Rokia's best CD yet, building on the excellent Bowmboi. Do try to go to one of her live performances. Rokia simply gets better and better.
on 1 March 2009
I am not a "world music" fan - not usually.... But when I heard Rokia Traore singing on Radio 3's "Late Junction" I put down my book and listened. Then I got up and "googled" her name. Then I bought her latest album. Ever since then, I've been playing it for friends. I hope they like it. Because I do, more and more each time I hear it. It's one of those albums that bring you something new each time you listen.
on 3 November 2012
I first saw this singer when she appeared at the Brighton Festival in 2011. i didn't know who she was but her performance was mesmeric and buying this album was long overdue. i don't know why I waited so long. Her melodies and tonal voice RE DREmy and although sung in Banbara, the language of Mali, you seem to know what she is saying in her lyrics. Malian music could take the world by storm and the debut album, Fatou, of another Malian singer, Fatoumata Diawara, is another album well worth the price.
on 31 May 2009
I have recently been introduced to Rokia`s music and saw her for the first time on Later with Jools Holland. I have since had a chance to listen to her music and recently bought Tchamantche and its excellent. Rokia is a fantastic musician and a great ambassador for african music. Buy this album you will not be disappointed.
on 15 March 2009
Absolutely brilliant album. Wonderful voice and great musicians. A world cd that trancends the musical genres.
on 30 July 2009
I bought this simply by chance,its not even the sort of music i would listen to noramlly. Just hearing the samples on the amazon page blew me away....

It is a solid album with no fillers, so glad i bought it
on 8 May 2013
this lady is superb, her voice range, control, technique are out of this world. seeing her live in a couple of weeks in manchester england and really looking forward to hearing her live.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2009
Rokia fuses her Bamana sound with mainstream rock and jazz, it takes time to adjust to this complex mixture but gradually you are won around. Great live too.
on 8 June 2010
Every year during the Brighton festival we look forward to a feast of musical entertainment and the art,s both theatrical and visual. The festival is split into two sections those being the Arts Festival and the Fringe festival. The Fringe being outrageous,
exiting and financially more attractive as you can afford to attend more of the events taking place.
We were really looking forward to hearing Rokia Traor'e following a review in the arts Festival brochure. We were not disappointed. It was a fabulous evening with everyone both the singer and musicians at the top of their form so much so that it became difficult to decide who got most out of the event them, or the audience? So I settled for a draw.
We enjoyed the evening so much we decided to buy the cd Tchamantche as the festival review had mentioned that the program was compiled from the music of Tchamanche, and we expected to find the music of the program included in the cd, from memory some was, some was not I own a very reasonable Hi Fi system and upon playing the cd it is immediately apparent that you are listening to a studio recording that has some of the life drained out of it during the processing period which is a great pity, it's still an enjoyable listen but light years from what we heard on the night. I know you could never match a live experience but I do feel a recording made at a live event with a couple of digital recorders could have easily surpassed the quality of this cd. The quality of this cd is something you can download from the internet for less money. If cd is to survive then the studios should be looking to up their game and concentrate more on the quality of the recordings they produce.