5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome for the money
Ok, I have to admit it - I'm totally converted to Serif software when I hadn't even heard of them 6 months ago. I've used Microsoft Publisher for years and years, but after using both WebPlus and DrawPlus from Serif I thought I'd give their DTP product a go. THis is more powerful, has loads more features, is far easier to use AND is a lot less money than Microsoft...
Published on 4 Oct 2008 by Brian Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your average publisher
Published on 24 Dec 2008 by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome for the money, 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC) (DVD-ROM)

I've just made a flyer for an upcoming event. The thing that surprises me most is the drawing and graphics tools which are in here - I didn't need to use DrawPlus, I just did it straight in PagePlus. Apart from saving a load of time, the cool thing is that if you need to adjust a graphic as you're laying it out on the page you can do all the adjustments in place, without having to keep tweaking it in another program, importing it in, realising it's still not quite right, editing it again in your drawing program, etc. etc.

If you're looking for a DTP program they don't come any better than this, no matter how much money you spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money you can't beat Page Plus X3!!, 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I used this software in my last job. Okay, I wasn't expecting much for £60, but my boss wasn't willing to shell out for Adobe or Quark. For the money this software just blew me away. First of all, you can edit PDF files and save them as commercially ready print files. I had some PDF files from the previous year, business cards, promotional items etc. I was able to change what I wanted to while retaining the "look" ie. company logo and colour scheme. I knocked up designs in an afternoon that would have cost hundreds of pounds (I know because I sourced the designs beforehand). I sent them to the printers and had them check the specs to make sure, but everything was great.

The software is very user friendly, once you get into it, it reminds me of Quark actually. Very easy to change colour schemes, and doing flyers, e-shots, brochures and other marketing collateral is a breeze. If you have a small business you really could do much worse than getting PagePlus. I have used MS Publisher in the past, but found the output for this software much better. You can crop and change photos in the design, do unusual font effects (and fonts on paths), and move things around quick and easy.

Nothing but good things to say about this one! Buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your average publisher, 24 Dec 2008
Pen Name "-uk" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finally, a publisher package with all the things you actually need! This software takes what you normally get from something like Microsoft's Publisher, and gives you so much more power. Unlike MS Publisher, and Adobe InDesign. This product provides you with Important and Export of PDFs, web publishing, pdf form processing, integrated image fixing and adjustments, and much more. In particular, the Image Cutout Studio is far extends the rather limited equivalents. A fantastic piece of technology, the key tool for anyone who wants to produce high-quality publications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent desk top publisher software and very cheap to own as well, 30 Sep 2008
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Best Buy rated by Computer Shopper, Serif's PagePlus X3 is a real bargain for those with desk top publishing needs. It's better than Microsoft Publisher and far cheaper than Adobe's Indesign and Quark Express, so it's an ideal buy for home users or small business's on a budget. It's suitable for publishing things like flyers, handouts, brochures and society magazines, either as printed documents, websites or emails, and it can produce quite professional results. It's got 2,500 templates and design elements to get you started on your task, and the software is very user friendly. There's also a lot of powerful features and even Word 2007 support. It can save its DTP files in EPS vector standard, Microsoft's modern HD bitmap format, Serif's own new SMF metafile format and to PDF/X-1a format. In addition it offers things like 'autofit' scaling, good bitmap control and a powerful set of drawing tools.

New to PagePlus X3 are realistic glass & metal effects, text/object refections, HD and EPS graphic support, and a 'cutout studio' [for cutting out objects to use from photos]. There's now an integrated 'logo studio' for designing professional looking logos, and photo edge cropping tools for trimming, feathering and blending photos into backgrounds. Plus the interface, layout, text and table editors have been updated and there's a manual duplex wizard to aid you through double sided printing on a standard 'one side' colour printer. You can also now import, edit, and export PDF files for 'reliable commercial output and near-universal sharing compatibility'. Naturally there's all the old PagePlus power tools as well to get you from a template or pdf, through the design, effects & editing studio and off to the the printer or the web.

PC system Requirements for PagePlus X3 are a minimal Pentium PC with DVD/CD drive and mouse, Windows 2000, XP or Vista, 256MB RAM (Vista 512MB), 410 MB free hard disk space (1.22GB with Resource DVD installed), and a 800x600 SVGA display resolution display. This assumes you are a rather patient sort, as a fast multi-core PC with 4Gb RAM and a DirectX 9 3D Accelerated graphics card would speed things up rather. You would also benefit from a colour printer, fast internet access, a TWAIN-compatible scanner and/or a digital camera and a Wacom A5 Bamboo stylus input pad [to supplement the mouse for precision drawing/editing].

Serif rarely sell via stores, and rely on word of mouth and cheap upgrade offers to get new users. The fact they have reached version thirteen in PagePlus shows they must certainly be doing a lot right. I always used Serif software at home until I got free licences of Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and MS Office Pro from work (which would cost me a few grand to buy myself). Also have a look at the great Serif sister packages of DrawPlus [Vector drawing], MoviePlus [Video editing] and in particular PhotoPlus [Photoediting] - although this DTP PagePlus X3 is probably the jewel in their crown. Check them all out at serif.com - there's often on-line offers and Serif's upgrade prices get very cheap as the latest version nears the end of its life [dropping to under £15]. Once you register your Serif software, and you can't actually avoid this or the software won't run, expect a yearly phone-call and emails from Serif (UK) offering the cheap upgrade, and a deal on other Serif Software.

So highly recommended for those on a very tight budget - once you get past the shallow learning curve the software isn't bad at all, and is a steal when occasionally offered for under £40. PagePlus may not be as well known as Indesign and QuarkXpress, but it's ease of use actually puts them to shame, and at a fraction of their price. I have Adobe InDesign CS3 via work, and believe me it's obtuse help makes Serif PagePlus X3 seem like a breath of fresh air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great program, great value!, 16 Dec 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of the easiest DTP's to get to grips with. I still have an old version of Quark Xpress lying around somewhere that I never did master, and now I'll never need to.

I also have Photoshop 6, and find that the 'Cut Out Studio' in PagePlus X3 is actually simpler to use when I want to remove unwanted background objects from photos. It's also easier to add text, and to convert it into 3D which makes labels (CDs, DVDs etc), look very professional. You can make them look even better by adding special effects, for example, transparency, glass, metal - and there are loads to choose from.

But the ability to create and edit PDF files is probably the feature I like the most. It's so simple, anyone can do it. They're easy to import and can be opened directly in PagePlus X3 no matter where they've come from. When you've finished editing, you can publish them and share them with anyone.

Then there's the Duplex printing which lets you print on both sides of the paper. Just choose 'Setup Manual Duplex Printing' and the Serif wizard takes you through all the steps. It's useful for when I want to print several pages for reference, as I can save half the paper!

If you're looking for a feature-packed DTP program that's easy to use and won't break the bank, then I highly recommend PagePlus X3.

5.0 out of 5 stars DTP power on a budget, 23 Nov 2008
Timbertwig (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using PagePlus since version 5. I've used and owned other more expensive and so-called professional DTP programs over the years such as Pagemaker, Quark Xpress and InDesign but PagePlus remains to be my favourite DTP star of them all. It's always amazed me how Serif could have packed in so much DTP power for such a low price. Indeed, PagePlus' ease of use has made it my first choice for creating newsletters, greeting cards and the like.

This latest version, X3, continues the tradition of "DTP power on a budget". Most of the features from the previous incarnations remain, with a host of new and improved ones. LogoPlus, a plug-in which appeared in older versions, is back with a vengeance. Now renamed Logo Studio, it makes the designing of logos painless and a lot more fun with easy-to-use tools. I managed to create a reasonably attractive logo in two minutes - and that's without reading the manual!

The main highlight of X3 is the Image Cutout Studio. This makes it easy to remove backgrounds from photos, thus creating a "cutout" of the image. This can a useful feature but those with dedicated image editors (like Photoshop) might want to stick to these instead to come up with a more polished result.

Like with previous versions, X3 comes with countless templates to get you started, though once you've become familiar with the program you will want to start from scratch as PagePlus makes it so easy to turn your ideas into something you can print and be proud of.

In short, PagePlux X3 is friendly enough for beginners and powerful enough to satisfy the more experienced. Forget MS Publisher - for sheer power and value for money, there's no beating PagePlus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serif PagePlus X3: Way beyond MS Publisher and cheaper too, 15 May 2009
This review is from: PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The day finally came when I, a confirmed though relucatnt user of Microsoft Publisher, just couldn't achieve what I wanted with the program anymore. I'm not a designer by trade but I do produce commercially printed concert programmes for my choir in London (Goldsmiths Choral Union,if you're interested) and found that Publisher 2007 couldn't give me the kind of quality and flexibility I needed. The crunch came when, of all things, I couldn't execute a good-quality drop shadow. Bah, time to look for something different.

I had heard of Serif years ago but never investigated the software. When I googled the name, I found a lot of sites containing almost ecstatic reviews of PagePlus X3 and its companion applications in the suite, PhotoPlus X2 and WebPlus X2. The reviews were so good and so unanimous, and the software so low in price, I just had to try it.

I haven't been disappointed. The software is easy to learn and use, with wizards to help if you need them, and versatile too. Working like a cut-price Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, etc., the Serif suite produces publications of impressive quality without the inflated Adobe price tag. It even warns you when the photo resolution you are using is not good enough!

I thoroughly recommend Serif PagePlus and its companions. Sorry, Microsoft, Publisher just doesn't cut it any more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serif for home useage, 27 May 2009
This review is from: PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC) (DVD-ROM)
PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC)
As a non professional publisher, I find this to be a very useful product Directions are easy to follow and there is a great deal of assistance built in. I have not yet explored all it's potential, and am looking forward to doing so. I had a problem, however with the amount of sales pressure to buy "add ons" which the Serif sales assistant laid on before I could download the product.This annoyed me intensely, and I would be wary of dealing through them again for that reason.This type of sales pressure turns me off completely!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use DTP, 25 Nov 2008
Amazon Customer (Beds UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very easy to use Publishing package which will have you getting creative quickly.
The program is a low price way to edit PDF files and this was one of the features that attracted me in the first place. Unfortunately the PDF files which I wanted to edit came up with errors as they were not fully compatible This is the reason that the product has been given 4 and not 5 stars.
As a competitor to Microsoft Publisher this package seems to be easier to start and comes with a huge library of templates which will give you ideas and layouts which you can use as your starting point.
Finally I have been using WebPlus X2 Website Maker (PC)for sometime and have found that to be an excellent way to publish to the web. PagePlus X3 has a very similar look and feel to work with and so is the perfect partner to your creative tools on your PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, bargain price, 8 Aug 2009
Dr. M. J. P. Scott (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This is an extremely powerful product for the money. It offers everything you require for creating most publications. The interface is intuative as it combines a microsoft word and Adobe format so you will find your way around it quickly. The ease of importing and modifying PDFs is fantastic and the speed of creation of PDFs is so quick it's almost intaneous unlike other programs that struggle with large file sizes associated when you have imported some JPEGs into your publication. At this price it is a must buy for everyone - why doesn't microsoft make software this good?

PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC)
PagePlus X3 Publisher Professional (PC) by Serif (Windows Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £14.75