4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
Arrived within 48 hours from Amazon (no delivery on a Sunday or it would have been here quicker).

Published on 23 Feb 2009 by Victor Meldrew Mk2

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 Education Version
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by Mr. Anthony P. Nolan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 23 Feb 2009
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0, Education Version (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I write a lot of policy documents as part of my job and I must admit that this software when I am producing large documents is really useful. It worked straight out of the box and once I had perfected my pronunciation, I reckon that I get around 98% accuracy, which for this type of software is about the average I believe.

The software itself is simple to set up and configure, although it is time consuming if you wish to customise the formatting settings: but worth it in the long run if you are working to templates in any way. I would advise anyone considering installing this software the THEY MUST HAVE ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS on the computer you are installing it on or it will not work.

I found the training programme good and it does improve the recognition accuracy quite considerably, particularly as the intuative software can be trained to adapt to you speaking style.

So how good is it and why have I not given it tars (well I am dictating this now and as you car see the S was missing out of stars). It works well with Outlook, Word and I believe Excel, but I like to use my hands and type in Excel. I haven't used it in the other supported softward, but it does work fine in the two main products that I work with.

I must admit that when I first trialled similar software 10 years ago if was nowhere near as good as this, but the same challenges remain as then, that of recognition.

Is it worth the cash? I would suggest yes, particularly if you want to copy large amounts of text from a text book or similar and it would have been really useful for me when I was producing the various reports, studies and dissertainon for my degree.

Problem words synergise, synergy, necessary, necessitate etc all dictate accurately (a few chosen at random). It does have some problems mainly due to my dition.

If you want something like this, it does work but check what you dictate before you press send.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent software for when you want to be a dictator..., 1 April 2009
Amazon Customer (Epsom, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never used voice recognition software before, but it has always been something I've wanted to try. I approached this software as a tool to help boost my creativity when it comes to writing articles and short fiction. You can use this software to surf the net too, but that's not what I'm interested in. I want something that can record my writing in a different way from typing or writing long-hand. Anything that can get my mind working in new and interesting ways has to boost my creativity. This software helped me achieve that goal.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 is most successful when used for dictation. It's a strange experience speaking aloud and having the words appear on the screen, but it's something I can see myself using a lot in the future. I had no problems setting up and configuring the software, although I imagine it will take more time and effort if you want to get the most out of the package. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets better and better!!, 18 Mar 2009
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking since the early editions and to be frank they were awful. However I bought version 9 and was impressed enough it use it at work when my secretary was away. I have had version 10 for 4 weeks and its the best version yet.

I have been using the programme with Microsoft Office and after a bit of training it about 95% there. Ok it does take a while to get used to instructions but once you have master the controls, then this programme flys. You do need to work at the programme and to begin with there were a few problems with pronounciation and spelling, especially "e" but once resolved, I would say that I now have to think twice before dictating letters into my digital recorder rather then this software.

If I had to advise on one aspect of the software I don't like and that its for PC's only. I use both Pcs and Macs and since I use my MacBook for work occassionally it means I need to limit use of that computer if I do need to write emails or letters.

All in all however, this is the best version on the market and the price is realistic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 Education Version, 1 Nov 2009
Mr. Anthony P. Nolan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
The Education version is identical to the normal version. However you have to supplyemail evidence of student status, passport scan,student card before they send you a code to use the software. The weakness in the product is its sensitivity to the position of the mike on the supplied headphone; each time you use it, it is bound to be in a slightly different position and Dragon does not like change. Dictating faster is better than slow dictation. I think it is a pity that no instructions are printed and you have to print off your own from the disk. You need infinite patience. It took me 12 hours to dictate two pages at the start. When it works, it is great.Corrections are a pain. The product has not improved substantially since it was launched many years ago, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful tool., 26 Feb 2009
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, I'm totally amazed I'm actually talking into a microphone reading this review rather than typing.

Installation was not as easy as I had hoped it took me a while to setup the microphone volume once that was done everything was easy to install.

I use Windows Vista business edition and Dragon is fully compatible.

It is not 100% accurate if you speak reasonably slowly it is about 90% accurate, you can always override with the keyboard if you wish.

It appears to be compatible with just about everything, it works with my windows mail, Microsoft works, and what did amaze me it also worked with eBay respond to question and Turbo Lister.

I was asked to transcribe some work for a charity which was over 5000 words, I used this, it saved loads of time, I suffer a little from RSI so no pain either.

A bit of a grumble the headset is not the most comfortable but could always be replaced with a more suitable headset if it was to be used for a prolonged length of time.

Do I recommend, absolutely! It works a treat, is fun to use and also a great tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some annoying features, 5 May 2009
P. S. Braterman "Chemistry Professor" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I already had 8.0, but consider the upgrade worth it because of the increased speed and accuracy.

The Education Version came with no handbook of any kind

In online applications, including Yahoo e-mail, this version seems very quick to interpret what is intended as text as navigation commands. I haven't found out how to totally switch these off, which would be my preference.

As with earlier versions, corrected text sometimes appears displaced slightly, taking letters off valid text.

The headset was useless, but since you can get an excellent noise cancelling headset for 10, that is relatively minor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Oct 2009
F. Connolly (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great product which I personally recomend to anyone in the educaiton sector (or look at buying one of the non-accedemic versions if your in a corporate or home environment). Registration was very simple and completed within minutes and I was sent my Serial Number by e-mail within a few hours, though it should be noted that you have to have registered with your institution before you can activate the software. This is a particularly handy tool for those who are Dyslexic or struggle with writting essays. It is worth consulting with Student Finance England if you do have a specific learning disorder as you may be able to have the cost of this software re-enbursed through government grants.

1.0 out of 5 stars dragon virtually speaking, 3 Jan 2010
Mrs. Lynn C. Woo "phoenix" (england) - See all my reviews
I have found this impossibly hard to set up and as yet have not succeded in getting it doing anything. Short of time I have not been able to concentrate on learning how to teach it. I think I would have been happier with written instructions to follow stage by stage. Having to work out where to go to develop this "tool" has lost me.It has been a complete waste of money for someone such as myself who is not a computer expert.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product for the right user or special task, 17 Mar 2009
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0, Education Version, is one of a number of variations available to purchase this product. Please check the other versions carefully to be sure to get exactly the features and price to suit you. Amazon has excellent Product Features and Description to help you decide, and even a short video.

With this Education Version be SURE to read this section "This software is for purchase and use by students meeting the eligibility criteria". There is a link to click which gives full details of this. Be sure that you meet the criteria or you may not be able to use this version!

This is the first time I have used voice recognition software so I have nothing else to compare it with, however it seems to do what I expect of it pretty well. I use a standard Toshiba laptop with mainly Microsoft software and Dragon seems perfectly compatible for me. It suits some tasks very well, and for entering large amounts of data or writing your first novel it may prove invaluable. Also, older people with less agile fingers or arthritis may find this product extremely useful. Even people with more severe disabilities may well find this application helps them manage their computer more easily.

A minor niggle is the supplied headset is not as comfortable as some I've used, and gets worse the longer it's used. You may need to consider a replacement for long term use if you find the same thing. Amazon has plenty to choose from and they start at around 4 plus P&P.

You computer won't suddenly turn into HAL from 2001 - which may be a good thing as it turned out. Your computer won't even talk back to you, but if you don't mind chatting to yourself unselfconsciously you may get on ok with Dragon. It takes a while for it to get to know you, but it gets easier as you persevere. I'll knock one star off for the quality of the headset, and good typists will find it a bit unnecessary, but for some users this product deserves a good four stars so that's how I will rate it.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time and money, 14 Jan 2011
tim (north london) - See all my reviews
I have spent hours trying to get this to work properly. It is not fit for purpose. Too often the type is unrecognisable in comparison to my dictation. I have a regular voice and would think that if it struggles so much with my speech recognition, that it would struggle with most. Obviously a good idea and hope it is not too long before a usable version becomes available

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0, Education Version (PC DVD)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0, Education Version (PC DVD) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
82.68