4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return
Published on 26 Aug 2008 by Daniel Howe

2.0 out of 5 stars Just wouldn't let it lie!
Published on 10 Jun 2009 by R. J. Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 26 Aug 2008
Daniel Howe "Kingsize Dan" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
A great album and a great return for the Verve. Not as many stand-out, memorable tracks as Urban Hymns, but there are plenty of great tunes here. The opening tracks "Sit And Wonder" and "Love Is Noise" are classic Verve songs. And the final track "Appalachian Springs" is a beautifully written masterpiece. The rest of the album is also full of great soundscapes. Needs playing through from start to finish a few times before it really sinks in!

The bonus DVD is a nice little extra, but could have been better. The "Space & Time: The Verve Documentary" isn't really much of an insightful documentary. It's only 25 minutes of Nick & Simon saying how great it is to be back playing again after 10 years, interspersed with voxpop clips of fans saying how great it is the band are back together again, and short clips of live performances from the 2007/08 tour. More enjoyable is "The Verve: Live At Coachella, April 2008" which consists of the five tracks: Sonnet, This Is Music, The Rolling People, Lucky Man and Love Is Noise. These are all great live performances, especially Lucky Man and Love Is Noise. However it would have been nice to see more of the gig than just these 5 tracks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just wouldn't let it lie!, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
The Verve were a big part of the soundtrack to some of the best days of my life back in the 90's,ANothern Soul being one of my favourite albums of all time. I didn't have too high expectations for this album and was going to steer clear, however I really liked the lead single and so decided to take the plunge. WHAT A BORE! I'm not comparing this work to any other (a different time, a different place!) But although there are a few decent moments, most of the album passes you by without impact. I've tried over and again, but just leaves me unmoved, and some tracks just become irritating after a while. like sleeping with an ex - quite exiting at first but ultimatley you should have stayed well away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Back & Forth, 2 Sep 2008
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
I've listened to this album over 6 six times now. Being a Verve fan (who loves all their work) I've tried to like this album, I really have, but I must be honest with myself & admit that's it's pretty poor.

From a Verve fan's point of view this album is only interesting because you can hear all the tensions in band.

- You can tell when Ashcroft & McCabe were getting on with songs like "Sit And Wonder", "Valium Skies" & "Appalachian Springs".

- You can tell when they weren't talking with songs like "Judas", "Numbness" & "Columbo".

- & you can tell when they've just given up & Ashcroft has quickly brought in his own stuff like "Rather Be" & "I See Houses".

Now I know all Verve albums require multiple listens to get the most out of them, so it's not like I've rushed to judgements with Forth. But lets be honest here, Forth is their weakest album. Oddly the album is over produced & yet some songs are under developed, "Noise Epic" being the best example of this.

What's annoying is that for years Richard Ashcroft's solo career has been panned where now Forth is being hyped up, yet there's songs on this album that could easily be on any Richard Ashcroft record.

Lets be honest here if this album was called "Richard Ashcroft - Forth" would anyone give a damn about this album? For those of you who can't be honest with yourself let me tell you the answer is.... NO!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
"Forth" brings The Verve back with a bang, bringing in new fans whilst retaining old. "Love is Noise", the first single, is the kind of driving anthem that will stick in your head for weeks. "Rather Be" (the second single) is another catchy tune, however it does sound like it would be on Ashcroft's solo material,circa 2002. It is however, a good, solid single. Other tracks that impress are "Numbness"; a slow drifting tune with that lovely raw edge the band had in the early days,and "Columbo"; a rocking, psychedelic epic that encapsulates the essence of the band. Special mention has to go to the beautiful "Valium Skies" - well worth a listen.
"Forth" is a step forward for the band, combining experimentalism with the trustworthy blueprint and well worth purchasing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes some time to get it. but you can!, 1 Mar 2009
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
First time I heard it I thought, "Richard Ashcroft solo, with a few psychedelic touches". Tenth time I heard it, the subtleties started to appear. Give it time and it will work its way into your psyche. Not an Urban Hymns (thankfully) not a Richard A solo effort (even more thankfully) more like a continuation of the first Verve album, with hints of the later stuff to spice things up. I mean, when you look at what Oasis are doing these days and check out some of the dross that's about, you can't slate this record too heavily. But, let's not be relativist about this - Forth is a good album in its own right, despite the dodgy pun in the title. The cover's nice too.

3.0 out of 5 stars They are better than this, 3 Oct 2008
Mr. Ga Thomas "Skazzuk" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
This is a 'difficult' album to say the least. After watching them play live last year I thought this album would be the kick in the backside the music world needs right now. Big music played with huge intent. Instead all we get is a diluted, uninspired, sloppy bunch of half-arsed ideas that seem to go completely against what these guys are about and what they can do live. 'Sit & Wonder' started out as a belting monster of a live track when they were first performing it. What on earth did they do to it in the studio?? They seem to have compressed the life out of it with McCabe's once immense guitar lines reduced to a tinny squeal. Ok so it's not a completely terrible album. There are moments in tracks like Judas, Numbness and Columbo where you can just about make out the fiery interplay that made this band so legendary in their early days and Love is Noise along with Valium Skies stand up perfectly well against the band's earlier hits. But in the end there's too many half-baked ideas for Forth to be a truly great album. In fact Noise epic just about sums this album up. It starts off with real intent but just as the hairs on your neck begin to rise, it deflates into blandness with Ashcroft, obviously bereft of ideas, lazily reciting some lyrics while the band try desperately to turn a half-arsed idea into an 'Epic'. Where's the fire of 'A Northern Soul'? The Innovation of 'Storm In Heaven'? Or the hook-laden melodies of "Urban Hymns? The only reason I can find for justifying buying this album is that at least you get to hear brief flashes of what was once a hugely talented and intense group of musicians. I'm sure I'm not alone in being slightly frustrated that Forth isn't what we were hoping for. However, despite this I am still glad they're back! Let us all hope that there is more to come because they are still a very special group of musicians and I'm not convinced the world has realized this yet!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bitter-Sweet Album, 27 Aug 2008
Ben Greveson (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
The album opens brilliantly with 'Sit and Wonder' and 'Love is Noise' rivalling the best Verve tracks. 'Rather Be' has the difficult task of following such strong songs but changes the tone of the album fluidly and is a good track in itself.

However the three mediocre songs of 'Judas', 'Numbness' (does exactly what it says on the tin) and 'I See Houses' follow and this is the major problem with this album. By the time these tracks are over you are left feeling bored and the album feeling dead and lifeless.

'Noise Epic' tries to pick up the tempo in typical Verve fashion and 'Valium Skies' is a hidden gem on this album. 'Mama Soul' and 'Appalachian Springs' finish the album off nicely but the album struggles to recover from its lacklustre middle section.

In conclusion there are some GREAT songs on here and the rest are mainly good but the few weak tracks have been allowed to dominate. I'd give this album 3.5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are we too quick to review?, 2 Sep 2008
C. Owen (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
It will be interesting to see if we get any reviews based on a year or two's listening. I'm not that patient, but I hope somebody will be as it's that kind of album. All kinds of expectations ran ahead of it, and many of the reviews so far are really reactions based on that.

Verve, for me, were always the Verve of the first album: Blue, Butterfly etc: the spaced-out freak-out thing. That makes Forth doubly welcome as far as I'm concerned, a return to what Verve are all about.

I don't recall particular tracks drastically 'standing out' on "A Storm in Heaven" any more than they do on this album. I remember a magazine reviewer in 1993 sprinkling the faintest of praise on "A Storm in Heaven", ending limply: 'Nice one lads!' I wonder if he sees it the same way now.

Forget whatever your expectations were, get into it and write that retrospective review in a couple of years' time. Odds on you'll say the whole album's outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 1 Feb 2009
P. Kane "pkane50" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
I liked the big anthems from the Verve's earlier days but that was about it. My interest reignited when I saw Richard Ashcroft perform so well at Live 8, purchasing his solo album.

I was almost put off this CD because I didn't like the single Love is Noise, but when it was on sale for less than a fiver I couldn't resist. It is quite pleasing on first listen, but like all good things it grows on you more and more. Can't wait for their next disc!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Drugs Don't Work (not for very long, at least), 1 Sep 2008
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
Sadly a very dull album. Anyone expecting a return of the passion of their definitive early albums, move on, there's nothing to hear here. A very tepid release

Forth
Forth by The Verve (Audio CD - 2008)