5.0 out of 5 stars The easy way to keep marine fish...3 years in.
I have kept freshwater fish on and off for around 15 years, and have never took up the task with as much interest as I did the day I decided to try my hand at a saltwater aquarium.

Published on 25 Feb. 2011 by Andy F

1.0 out of 5 stars Biorb 105 Not for Marine!
Unfortunately, in spite of much written on the internet about Biorb 105 for Marine fish, I definitely would not recommend it.

I have now spent about 5 months trying to get this tank to work for marine fish and put simply - it doesn't.

Published 14 months ago by Suzzie Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars The easy way to keep marine fish...3 years in., 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: BiOrb Marine Conversion Kit (Misc.)

The biorb gets a lot of bad press, people hate it due to it's shape and lack of surface area, and for those reasons I was sceptical about trying a marine set up in one, but I believe most of the reputation is down to bad set up and maintenance rather than the tank itself.

Other reviews complain of the cost of the tank, which initially can be expensive, but there are plenty of used ones available, and of course the service kits, which I think are relatively good value, i've yet to find another exotic pet which costs less than £10 a month to feed and maintain.

Many of the stockists I visited told me the tank was inadequate for the marine conversion, and it wouldn't work successfully, but despite this I decided to give it a go, which gives me even more satisfaction.

I own the 60L version, and have all the toys for it, LED light, Iheat etc and love the look of it on my sideboard.

I bought the conversion kit, followed the supplied instructions, and have not had any problems whatsoever despite having no previous marine fishkeeping experience, it was very easy to set up, and has run for 6 months flawlessly.

I put in 3 bags of the media for the biofilter to make sure there is plenty of area for it to multiply, as this is probably the most important part of the filtration.

One bit of advice I would give is to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER, but be careful when it comes to putting fish in, especially if you are stocking Clownfish, as this is better done in pairs, as long as they are small sexless immature fish, not one at a time as per leaflet, otherwise they will both become female and fight continuously until one dies, but please never consider stocking clowns in any tank smaller than the 60L.

I would recommend the purchase of an API saltwater master testing kit, this will enable you to follow the tank cycle, and know when the best time is to begin putting inhabitants in, as stocking before the tank is cycled will result in a major catastrophe, mine took 7 weeks not the suggested 6, without testing the water it would have been easy to stock with fish too early and wipe them all out.

I will point out that stocking clownfish can be stressful, they have a clear pecking order when in the wild, and going through this natural process of fighting for supremacy can be at times brutal to watch, I am a fish lover, but contemplated several times removing them as it was almost too much to bear, but it does take time (and some strategical feeding), and once they click and the female darkens in colour it's bliss I have to say, but there were times I never thought we'd get there.

I have 2 Hermit crabs, and two Percula Clownfish living very happily, it's one of the best talking points in my home when visitors call, especially the crabs.
Do it right, and it will be a pleasure, the key is not to rush it, it will be sat without fish for weeks while it matures, but it's worth it.

UPDATE over 3 years in.

Still experienced no problems after over 3 years, my fish and crabs are thriving and have at least doubled in size, I tested the water and recorded the results every week for the first few months, and now on a monthly basis (2 weeks after each clean out) and the water parameters are rock steady.

I feed with Hikari Marine S pellet and nothing else, my clown's and crabs love them, live food like brine shrimp should never be put in a Biorb aquarium as it's too small in volume to cope with the waste created, and has little nutritional value to your fish.

I've added a Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp to the clean up crew and it adds another interesting critter to the tank, but he does shed his exo-skelleton every three weeks which is amazingly delicate and makes you think he's multiplied overnight, and the last cleaner added was a serpent starfish who only appears after dark, but keeps the tank as clean as a whistle.

It pays to do a bit of reading about your chosen fish and invertebrates, this helps you to understand the behaviour patterns, and what's safe to mix with what, as some are very territorial and shouldn't be put into a small community. As with all hermits new empty shells are needed to allow growth, so a scattering of spares in the tank will prevent your crabs fighting over one particular one, and it's fun watching them examine and test drive a new home.

I must stress I have done everything as instructed with regards to maintenance, and it has kept everything in check. I also found the egg shaped timer that BiOrb make invaluable, I've popped it on my TV stand beneath the screen, and it flashes to remind to feed, and when tank maintenance is also due, you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget!

I have recently set up a Biorb Life 60L additional tank, better to do this than be tempted to overstock your tank with more critters and fish, this is a stunning piece of kit, and was cycled with substrate and water from my mature BiOrb I have now stocked something different, and have a pair of onyx clownfish with a few red leg hermits to keep them company, along with a blood shrimp which is beautifully coloured.

I use a bucket (15L) with a side mounted powerhead and heater when preparing water for a change, this sees the salt is perfectly mixed and dissolved, and guarantees the the water is up to temperature when changing, avoiding any undue stress to the fish and invertebrates and it seems to work well, and I would recommend this method to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 weeks in and all is well, 28 April 2013
Louise (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BiOrb Marine Conversion Kit (Misc.)
I've had my marine tank set up for 3 weeks now and have followed the instructions to the letter. The instructions are very easy to follow, initially no extra equipment is needed other than what is in the box, your tank and a heater. It comes complete with 4 chunks of fake live rock but the leaflet does suggest real live rock which I bought 3kg of. It helps to filter the water by having bateria colonise on and in it. Live rock sells for about £12 a kg. The box also comes with bags of reef salt, 2 plastic plants, instant aquarium (bacteria in a bottle) and an agrometer (for measuring salinity).

As for the fish stocking suggestions I would be vary cautious. Whenever I mentioned 2 percula clownfish, fish experts (both on forums and in shops) would be horrified at keeping them in my 30 litre tank (as suggested by the leaflet). I have been advised that goby fish (clown, yellow, panda varieties) would be fine. My clean up crew is building up nicely, having added one per week from week 2. I have the choice of cleaner shrimps, hermit crabs and turbo snails. So far I have a cleaner shrimp who is amazingly large but extremely happy pottering about the tank hoovering up all sorts of debris. Just don't be shocked when you think they have multiplied- their skin comes off whole and sits there looking like another cleaner shrimp! My recently purchased hermit crab has hoovered up all the fluffy growth on my live rock and is keeping the tank looking great. For a 30 litre tank they suggest 1 cleaner shrimp, 2/3 hermit crabs and 2 turbo snails.

Cleaning is a bit on the tricky size due to the shape but, after purchasing the special cleaning cloths which don't scratch the biorb, it is much easier. A monthly filter change is needed and 25% of the water needs to be removed and new water put in. Each service kit comes complete with a cleaning cloth, salt and a filter. They retail for about £9.

Overall I'm very happy with my marine biorb, especially as I can't fit in a larger marine tank with all the filtering and skimming equipment needed. I would certainly recommend buying the conversion kit but do have patience. This isn't a quick fix marine tank, it takes time and care to get it right but it's definitely worth it!
There is a great website that gives advice on nano marine tanks here: [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Biorb 105 Not for Marine!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: BiOrb Marine Conversion Kit (Misc.)

The water parameters are fine, the water changes are done as recommended, the filter is changed (again) as recommended but the fish do not survive.

I have discussed this with my Aquatics shop and we are now both of the opinion that it is too difficult to keep the base of the tank in pristine condition to support the fish.

I am saddened by this because, not only was this an expensive purchase, I have lost fish and I don't like any animal to suffer.

To preserve the fish stock I currently have, I am taking delivery of another tank later this week and hope to transfer my fish fairly quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! :-), 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: BiOrb Marine Conversion Kit (Misc.)
I have had this for 6 months now; I have always followed the instructions to the letter...
and...
This works well!
have 2 clowns, a blood shrimp, 3 snails and a serpentine starfish...
all doing very well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
This review is from: BiOrb Marine Conversion Kit (Misc.)
Good product and very good seler

BiOrb Marine Conversion Kit