1,053 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Mamma Mia no Sing a long
Published on 27 Nov 2008 by Brian Blyth

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected - in fact, brilliant, 15 Aug 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
My wife and I went to see this last week not sure what to expect and we came away really impressed. Objectively, it's a very well crafted film. The songs are used to great effect throughout in reflecting events and building the emotion of the storyline. The particular sequence just before the wedding is an unexpected series of emotional body-blows: I defy anyone with grown-up kids to resist empathising with the feelings being portrayed on screen. It certainly caught me out - middle-aged guy speaking - and my wife (along with numerous others) shed a tear. Streep in particular is wonderfully adept at bringing the lyrics to life. I found myself thinking anew about the meaning of lines from songs I've heard and sung along to many, many times before.

Looked at coldly, without knowing details of their musical 'credentials', the cast list is an unusual combination, but there's no doubt that this particular recipe works terrifically well on screen. To those who criticise Brosnan's singing - I think you've missed the point. This is not just a standard 'musical'. The guys, it seems to me, were chosen mainly for what they could bring to the roles as actors, not as lead singers. At no point before seeing the film was I expecting to be blown away by the guys singing, and at no point during the film did I feel disappointed by it either. Their singing is a delightful facet of their broader characters and far from detracting from the value of the film as a musical, actually makes it so much more enjoyable.

To sum up, I went to see it in ambivalent state of mind, fully prepared to come away with a so-so opinion of it. I have to admit Mamma Mia won me over, and as a result, for the first time in 30 years, we've been to see a film twice. It's an optimistic, life-affirming movie. The cynics can pull it to bits if they please, but the sheer, uncomplicated happiness it gives to the vast majority who've see it - including us - speaks volumes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mamma Mia no Sing a long, 27 Nov 2008
Brian Blyth "braveheartbri" (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
I was totally amazed when i got my copy of Mamma Mia on Blu Ray it has not got what was probably the biggest extra feature from any film in recent years (they even had special screenings at selected cinemas with it) The Sing a long feature. This is on the DVD version cos they are even advertising it on telly having the feature. Why not on Blu Ray we pay more money so why should we get less extra than the cheaper dvd. C'mon the blu ray can hold many times more than dvd so surely it cant be shortage of space.
The Movie looks and sounds awesome though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mamma Mia! Gift Set [2008], 25 Nov 2008
M. FAIRLEE "Maxine Fairlee" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mamma Mia! Gift Set [DVD] (DVD)
What can I say about this great film. Mamma Mia! How can you resist it! Fantastic movie. If you've not already seen it, give it a go, it's the best 'feel good' film in a long time. If you've already seen it, then you know what I mean. I received my DVD yesterday and have watched it twice already. Maybe one day I'll get fed up of it, but don't know when!
The film may not be to everyone's taste, but good for most tastes. There's a bit of comedy, romance and sadness, with a good happy ending. Easy to watch too. Lovely setting. The well known stars live up to their reputation by giving a great performance. You don't have to be an Abba fan, but with most Abba tunes, can't help tapping your feet. Overall, a good watchable film.
The gift set was extra special with book and pen, a little souvenir, good for giving as a present.
My seller is recommendable, quick delivery of item, impressive, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Feel-Good Fun Film!, 12 July 2008
Michelle (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Saw this film last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Can't remember when I last saw a film at the cinema that had the whole audience buzzing, laughing and smiling by the end of it!

Fantastic cast, especially Meryl Streep and Julie Walters. Glossing over the fact that Pierce Brosnan sounded as though he was trying to sing while being strangled(!), I thought it was wonderful that he, Colin Firth (more eye candy!) and all the other big name cast members were quite happy to make themselves look as ridiculous as possible so that the comedy element wasn't compromised! Certainly looked like they all enjoyed making this film. Pure entertainment from start to finish!

I'd happily go see this again and can't wait for the DVD to come out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with the gift set., 5 Feb 2009
J. Elston (Northampton, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mamma Mia! Gift Set [DVD] (DVD)
The video itself is fine, which you would agree since you are an Abba fan.
Extra in the gift set is a pen, a notebook for you to write in, and a button on the front of the box which says press but mine doesn't do anything. That's it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Romantic Musical., 30 Nov 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I loved ABBA when I was a little girl and when I heard that Mamma Mia was the top-selling movie of 2008, I had to see what the fuss is about. It's about a young girl sending letters to three hopeful fathers so she can find out which one is the right one to give her away to her wedding. The singing and dancing is high in this, the actors using their unknown voices to feel happiness, sadness, raw emotion and feel-good numbers. Meryl Streep was brilliant, the three fathers (Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and Stellan Sarkgard) wern't the best singers of the world but they looked like they were having fun to care about it. Kids and adults should like and love this movie, nothing really harmful in it at all and there's even a singalong feature so you can do it without anyone hearing your voice! It's strongly recommended to see it, it might not be for everyone's taste but it is to me and I enjoyed every second like it was magic. A brilliant romantic musical, go and get it so you can enjoy the beautiful setting and the damn amazing songs to tap your feet to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel-good film for all the family, 26 Nov 2008
S. Davies "suzilou" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mamma Mia! Gift Set [DVD] (DVD)
I am what you might call a Mamma Mia addict - I saw it five times at the cinema, and am just about to start watching the DVD for the second time since it arrived on Monday. There is a very good reason for it....the film is fantastic! So funny and light-hearted, and even though some of the singing is quite ropey, this only adds to the film's charm. Meryl Streep's rendition of "The Winner Takes It All" is incredible. If you never buy another DVD again, buy this one! (And the gift set with diary, pen and "surprise" is good too!)

5.0 out of 5 stars get over first 5 mins shock!, 22 Aug 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I went to see this without reading any reviews or any preconceived ideas of what to expect.
When it started with the friends singing and talking, I thought 'what on earth have I come to'.... I didn't actually get it!
It was when Meryl Streep came into it after just a few minutes that I just sat back and let the film take me along on a wonderful, amazing journey of fabulous scenery, terrific songs and such a laugh.
Pierce Brosnan was great, he had such guts to sing with his voice!! It was hilarious..... and well Colin firth is sex on legs.
Julie Walters was perfect with Meryl Streep.. what a partnership.
Whoever put these actors/actresses together deserves an Oscar just for that.
Needless to say I took my sister to see it several days after my first viewing. My brother in law passed away tragically only 4 weeks ago. When we came out she said how uplifted she felt and how much better it had made her feel.... perhaps this film should be given out on prescription!!

If you haven't seen it, go see it and I guarantee you will see again and again.
Oh... I bought the cd today and have been singing along all night.....
Just waiting for the singalong version of the song to come into my area and I will be off again.

Wonderful, amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember your hankies!, 15 Oct 2008
I went to see this film two weeks ago after resisting all summer, despite the nagging of my mother, sister, best friend and daughter to go and see it! Now I wish I had gone in the summer as it is really a light and frothy sweet rose wine of a film. Despite having made up my mind not to enjoy it, I left the cinema very glad that I had gone. I agree with some other contributors that the acting is not great given the quality of previous films made by some of the stars, and the plot is not exactly brain aching, but that's not the point of this film. The underlying messages of Mamma Mia seem to me to be about discovering what is important in life and seizing the moment...maybe its just my age, but I find myself reliving little moments in my memory and considering my decisions differently. I took my 11 year old daughter (who has just moved up to high school) to see this film; one of the times when we fulfilled the plans we had made before she 'slips through my fingers', and although the scene where Meryl Streep helps her daughter prepare for her wedding had us both in buckets of tears, they were very 'mother-daughter bonding' tears ...On reflection, definitely a film for the 'girls'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very good, 12 Jun 2009
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I am not a big fan of musicals but had tremendous fun watching and listening to Mamma Mia!
It was such a good experience I am planning to gift a few friends with the DVD.It was very, very good.

Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008] by Phyllida Lloyd (DVD - 2008)
3.96