5.0 out of 5 stars Superb camera, few competitors in low light, solid.
This the best DSLR I've owned. It has so many more plus points than minus, I'll concentrate to begin with on what I think might be considered negatives:

Cons:

(1) "Only" 12 million pixels.

Published on 25 Dec 2010 by CarlOz

3.0 out of 5 stars D700
This camera has long strip of dead pixels on the screen. And I will need to repair new camera - change the screen.
I am very upset.
Published on 29 April 2012 by Lion

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb camera, few competitors in low light, solid., 25 Dec 2010
This review is from: Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (12.1MP) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

Cons:

(1) "Only" 12 million pixels.

If this is a genuine issue for you, go no further, there's nothing you can do about it - at this price or less, at time of writing, your Nikon option is the 16MPix DX sensored D7000. In full-frame, it's presently just the Canon Eos 5D or 5D MKII (both excellent cameras, 21MPix), or hold out for a '700' version of the Nikon D3X (24.5MPix).

My personal experience is that for the kind of shooting I tend to do, in low light, more pixels are usually wasted, noisy pixels. If you light your subjects or generally shoot short exposures in bright light, _need_ an awful lot of pixels per square millimetre, and have lenses which can do them justice, you might well want to look elsewhere.

(2) Weight.

This isn't an especially small camera. It's a lot lighter and smaller than its enormous top-end stablemates, but it's still a fair chunk of your carry-on baggage allowance and can be a literal pain in the neck after an extended period carting it about. Especially if you have, say, an 80-200 f/2.8 attached to it. At around a kilogram, it's over twice the weight of a Canon EOS 500D, 100g more than an EOS 5D, but quarter of a kilo lighter than a Nikon D3 or Canon EOS 1Ds.

(3) Full frame.

Generally, full frame is a positive thing, but there are circumstances in which the smaller DX frame is advantageous: Lighter, cheaper lenses; perhaps better suited for long-range wildlife photography, etc. With good lighting, a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 makes an extremely affordable and superb portrait lens on a DX crop sensor. 80mm f/1.4 remains expensive, and 200mm f/2.8 is an awful lot cheaper than 300mm f/2.8!

(4) A little noisy

This camera makes quite a clunk when it goes off. Partly because of the fast frame rate and large mirror, I guess. With the MD10 battery grip, shooting at 8fps, this sounds like a mini machine-gun. You wouldn't want to use this to photograph classical soloists in concert, or on live TV sets or whatever, at least not without a blimp, you'd get thrown out.

Pros - pretty much everything, in my opinion:

Everything else I have to say about this camera is good. I absolutely love shooting with this camera, and the results are almost always better than I feel I have any right to expect, encouraging me to develop and improve my photography.

My first DSLR was a Nikon D70, which I bought around 2004. A few years after that I bought a Pentax K10D (I have both Nikon and Pentax lenses) which cost less but outshone the D70 in every way except flash sync speed (the D70's 1/500sec remains unsurpassed, even in Nikon's line-up). I've used a D200, and found it superb. I looked at the D700 when it came out, wanted it the moment I picked one up in a shop, but couldn't afford it. Circumstances change, though, and I eventually bought one, with an MB-10 grip bundled on offer from Nikon.

When I had the D70, I would take 35mm SLRs with me as well - I loved the instant feedback of digital, but the camera's squinty little viewfinder was a pain to use, the DX crop was inconvenient for wideangle. The 35mm cameras were a pleasure to use by comparison and the results with Velvia or Provia, albeit expensive, easily blew away the quality possible with the D70.

With the Pentax, I started to set aside 35mm - the 10Mpixel results were very good, colour rendition much better than the D70, the viewfinder among the best available in DX sensor cameras at the time, the controls quick and intuitive. I'd still carry a 35mm body from time to time, but found myself using film less and less.

First impressions

My first impression of the D700 was that DSLRs had finally made it back to the "real camera" feel of the best 35mm SLRs. I have a couple of Nikon FM2s and a Pentax LX - the D700 was the first DSLR I tried which offered a similar viewfinder and similarly un-obtrusive controls. It is as satisfying and straightforward as any 35mm SLR I've used, and it gives me unprecedented confidence in getting the picture I was trying for. Low-light performance exceeds anything 35mm film can do, and each of the 12Mpixels seems to count in ways they don't on the more densely packed sensors.

Uses

This isn't a studio camera, at heart. Although relatively heavy, it's not actually all that much heavier than the K10D, and it's happiest out and about - rock gigs, street photography, reportage are where it shines. Quick to use, quick shooting, beautiful viewfinder, virtually unparalleled low-light performance, you can get pictures which simply aren't possible any other way. With the K10D and its built in image stabilizer, I got used to shooting at silly low shutter speeds handheld, with a variable hit rate. With the D700, the weight of the camera/grip combo keeps things pretty steady without the need for a stabilizer, and for the first time I can push the ISO beyond 800 and still get pictures worth looking at.

Compatibility

I've a huge penchant for solidly built old manual-focus prime lenses, and with these this camera excels. Like the D200, D300 and other Nikon pro/semi-pro cameras, the D700 works very well with old lenses. It has the lens throat ring which picks up the aperture ring setting from AI lenses, and (obviously) with more recent CPU lenses it offers all the modern conveniences. There are very few Nikon fit lenses made in the last 30+ years which won't work with the D700. About the only exceptions are a few extremely exotic ones which project too far back into the mirror box to use without a full-time mirror lock-up.

For manual focus, the viewfinder is clear, adequately dioptre-adjustable and accurate - I feel confident manually focusing fast lenses (e.g. a 50mm at f/1.4) using the D700, where with the K10D I often found I'd be out if shooting wide open (someone suggested that this was a common issue with modern auto-focus cameras because of the limited effective aperture of the viewing system itself).

Features

I'm not going to go into detail about the D700's many impressive and useful features, many of which I haven't properly explored or have little use for - this information is widely available online. I'll skim the ones which matter to me: The interval timer can be handy, the many picture controls and "active D-lighting" etc. provide all the flexibility you could hope for, the continuous shooting buffer is deep enough that I've never once noticed it slowing me down shooting RAW files. I've tried the 3D tracking autofocus, which really does work, and really is impressive, although as I said I'm more of a manual focus kind of person. The live-view mode is probably the only feature I've tried which I've found wanting - it seems unduly awkward to use, and of course the viewing screen is fixed so this isn't as much use for e.g. macro photography as it might be.

Another noteworthy aspect of the D700 seems to be an apparent reduction in chromatic aberration at the frame edges with certain wide-angle lenses. I don't know whether it's a feature of the sensor itself (different microlens design, sensor elements closer to the surface?), or some digital cunningness, but it's a welcome quality.

Conclusion

In general, control-wise, and for overall feel, I prefer the D700 to the Canon EOS 5D (I haven't tried a 5D MKII). The D700 seems better made than the Canon, and the controls suit me better. On the other hand it's more expensive and has fewer pixels.

No amount of enthusiastic rambling will tell you whether to buy this camera, but I would certainly strongly encourage you to pick one up and try it out if you're considering cameras in this price/performance bracket.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's low light performance is breathtaking!, 12 July 2010
Mr. P. A. Busby (SE UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I compared the Canon 5D MkII/24-105mm f4 with the D700/24-70mm f2.8 & came very, very close to buying the 5D which would have meant sticking with Canon, not having to buy a RAW converter & complimenting my G10 with possibility of sharing flash guns. It was very close - I had to leave the shop & think over my choice. I ended up reading a couple of mags that reviewed both cameras & stuck to my original idea of the best low light performance I could afford - the D700 & 24-70mm f2.8. I also bought the fastest 16G CF card I could get my hands on (a 90MB/s Sandisk card) & a Hoya Pro1 77mm UV filter.
This combo got soaked in snow back in January so I can confirm the sealing on both D700 & lens is up to professional standards. I've also used both in very heavy rain with confidence.
I did prefer the position & feel of the 5D MkII's shutter but have got used to that on the D700. This is neither a light nor small DSLR but its handling is good. I have not tried the battery grip that makes it even bigger than a D3. Once I removed the tripod mount of the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, I consider this particular combination perfectly viable to hand-hold.
My least favourite aspect of D700 is the 95% coverage through the viewfinder - limited by the addition of vibration dust removal mechanism & not the highly useful built-in flashgun, I've read. Although it's possible to customise virtually very aspect of this camera, I'm not entirely sold on Nikon's method. There are two banks of four memories but none will reset to their respective originally customised settings when powering back the camera. So if you inadvertently or deliberately change a setting which you then forget, this setting will still be active when switching the camera back on. You can save these settings to the CF card but it just seems a clumsy way on arranging the memories. I would like to see half the memory positions being reset on powering the camera back on without having to recall from the card. I would also like a two stop max increment on AEB instead of a max of just one - perfect for HDR sequences.
Although I've been more critical than most, there's no getting away from the fact this is just one hell of a camera when combined with the best glass possible. The viewfinder is bright & the fifty one focus points means tracking moving objects renders this camera perfect for sports & photojournalism, particularly in low light. I'll quite happily use ISO1600 & upwards though ISO25600 looses a lot of definition but still gives useful results though I stick to ISO12800 which gives undreamt-of results!
No review of a Nikon is complete without some mention of the Nikon Creative Lighting System. The D700 can be set to Command mode that will control the firing of an external flashgun such as the SB900 set to slave. The D700 can set four groups of flash guns to different levels of power when set to iTTL mode. This works by the command flash firing off a pulse-code of pre-flashs. If the minimum of delay between firing the flash after pressing the shutter release has been set, use another flash mode. This camera is capable of sync'ing the shutter well above the normal speed by firing off a sequence of flashes as the shutter blades transit across the frame, albeit at lower maximum flash power.
I very rarely use either live view modes - I find setting them up too cumbersome but most DSLRs are poor in this area. This camera has a built-in level but I rarely use it despite never having been able to hold any camera particularly straight - my ideal solution would be an audible change of tone! One aspect worth mentioning is the ability to set both the shutter & aperture to manual & let the exposure system determine the ISO - nice one Nikon!
Although not mentioned more than in passing, Nikon's Scene Recognition System means the camera can focus on faces.
I use 14 bit lossless RAW exclusively. Although my photo-editing software will open the resulting NEF files, I reluctantly forked out a King's Ransom for Nikon's Capture NX2 that should, IMO come free with the D300 & above. The bundled RAW converter will not allow any useful editing such as exposure compensation. Capture NX2 will allow two stops either way - try that with jpgs! Using Capture NX2 will allow the in-camera level of noise reduction, vignetting, colour balance etc to be applied - vignetting being the most important one to me. Capture NX2 will supposedly allow consequent edits to be saved along with the original without bloating the file size by saving the pixels plus the editing as instructions - I've not tried this yet but some people consider Capture NX2 to be a very powerful tool even for those owners who use jpgs exclusively.
I've had 12x18" prints made from this camera from both the 24-70mm & 16-35mm F4 VR lenses I own. A magnifying glass won't show lack of resolution so if you have managed to convince yourselves that 12.1 mega pixels aren't enough, I invite you to think again! I'm also very pleased ith the built-in flash with or without the SB900 & its fast recycling times!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Five Star All-Rounder, 29 Dec 2008
I upgraded to this camera from a Canon Eos 40D because I really wanted the Full Frame capability that is only achievable with film cameras or FF sensors. I should mention as an aside that the 40D is a fantastic camera and really impressed me in every department.

The D700 is a big step up in price but having now owned it for six months, the price for Full Frame is worth it for me.

The D700 is in a class of three; the choices for the non-millionaires are the Sony A900, the Canon 5D Mk II or the Nikon D700 (although they are all still too expensive).

The good news is that there is not a turkey among them; the image quality is fantastic with all three (I only quote from the ludicrous number of reviews I have sadly read).

My choice was ultimately driven by the way in which I use my camera rather than the spec sheets, as the three cameras all point at a different type of photographer. This camera would better suit the intermediate or advanced photographer, as there are lot of menus to learn and much room to configure or hang yourself. On the other hand, the progamme mode does make the decisions for you, although even then you can change the settings.

I mainly use the camera for shooting (in order of importance for me):
my kids running around (speed), portraits (IQ), plays (low light) (speed), rugby, football matches (speed) and lastly landscapes (detail).
I wanted a camera that was fast, had great image quality, worked really well in low light and was FF. On all those counts the Nikon is probably the best package. The Sony and Canon can resolve more detail for landscapes or architecture and can be blown up larger, they probably have the edge in studio / stock photography work.

The Nikon produces skin tones beautifully and is the best performer in low light, although the Canon comes very close (again from my reading, I don't own one).

It is worth mentioning the low light ability of this camera and by that, I mean the ability to shoot at higher ISO than anything else around, yet produce excellent images. You can be shooting handheld, in virtual darkness and produce quality images. Living in the UK, this was really important to me (we specialise in cloud) and the camera is truly outstanding in this respect. Even when there is noise, it is grainy and film like; ultimately it is usable rather than unusable. Less pixels than the competition = larger pixels; this translates into an ability to pick up more light.

The Nikon is much better thought out than my 40D - it is more comfortable to hold, it is easier to change the settings on the fly (you tend to spin dials on the camera rather than having to delve into sub-sub menus), it is more ruggedly constructed and more configurable but on the other hand only has half the resolution of the Sony or 5D MkII. However, it blows up to 50cm by 70cm without pixelation (that's as far as I have got) and beyond that it's academic for me, as I don't have a house big enough to cope with larger prints. For some the ability to resolve the finest detail in landscapes may be more pertinent.
You do need to fiddle a little more with the in camera settings to get the sharpness, contrast etc that you want for your shot but the camera is so configurable that you can really control your output.

The autofocus is excellent on the Nikon (superior to the competition) and I have the grip which gives me 8fps when needed (it did mean buying another memory card as they don't last long on machine gun mode).
The quality of the images I have produced from plays, landscapes and action is really high - note the quality of the images is high, not necessarily the photographer (some of my landscapes in low light are on Flickr, type - Sun Setting Over Woodingdean into Google).

In terms of lenses, the spending does not stop with the camera. Full frame cameras need good glass, as they are devils for showing up the flaws in anything less. I bought the Nikor 50mm f/1.4D - the quality is in a different league and worth the bit extra - I paid about £200. For a zoom I chose the Nikor 80-200mm f/2.8 D, this set me back about £600 but you could probably shave a bit off that price. This zoom is again pro-quality but you could pay significantly more without improving image quality. I also tried a manual 20mm film lens second hand and was not disappointed with the results.

I only ramble on about lenses because a kit lens really does not cut it with this camera and you will be disappointed if you spend mega bucks on the D700 and then go low-calorie on the glass.

I am really happy with the D700, mainly because it suits the type of shooting that I generally do and is a great all-rounder.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're not quite sure..., 18 Dec 2008
While I'm sure that if you're looking at this as a serious purchase you'll have already checked out as many web reviews as you can, this camera deserves a quick mention. Even with this price tag, it remains in the top three digi cameras on the market today, from amateur to pro.
The images are simlpy stunning, especially when paired with some class glass. Using a 50mm f1.4 produces shots that look amazing even when you don't try too hard. But when you do want to go technical, this camera has the lot. If you're not convinced then check out 'Ken Rockwell' on google, he rates it above the D3!
Worth every cent and will bolster your addicton to photography every time you pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars D700, 23 Sep 2008
B. D. Gerrard (UK) - See all my reviews
I started digital with the D100 which at the time I thought was pretty good, the D200 then came out and I purchased that. The improvement over the D100 was pretty marked. When the D300 arrived I decided that the improvements over the D200 didn't warrant an upgrade. I decided to save my pennies and go the whole hog and buy a D3. Imagine my surprise when they announced the D700! I ordered one right away and it turned up early in August. What can I say about this piece of kit. It does all the blurb tells you it will do, the full frame being a great bonus. I went digital from an F70 so all of my lenses were full frame compatible thank goodness. Everything about the D700 is great although the live view will take a bit of getting used to. Like the D100 and D200 I find in my old age that the notch on the on off switch is too small, wearing gloves in cold weather makes it awkward to feel. I recommend anyone thinking of going for an upgrade from the D200, forget the D300 and go straight for the D700 the extra cost is worth every penny. Try not to buy kit lenses although as a stop gap they will do a pretty good job. The camera only being as good as its lens, fast Sigma lenses go well with the D700. Buy and enjoy you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow - crazy in low light, and then some, 27 Sep 2008
Erik De Koster "erikdk" (belgium) - See all my reviews
I have had a D200 since 2 years, which has been an absolutely splendid decision. About the only weakness of the D200 was its inability to go high in the ISOs without introducing a lot of noice, which already starts creeping in at ISO 400, is definitely there at ISO 800, and is intolerable at ISO 1600. The D3 which came last year fixed this problem but was very expensive at that time. I have owned a D700 since a month now and I have been absolutely blown away by its performance. The D700 inherits some major systems from the D3, especially the sensor and the autofocus. It is absolutely amazing to be able to go straight to ISO 6400 without any loss of quality: no noice, no loss of sharpness (at variance with the D300 which is less noisy than the D200 but does so at the expense of more softening and loss of detail of the image, like the Canons do).
But there are some other significant goodies. Auto-ISO means that when light gets low, ISO automatically will be increased untill the level you accept. My ISO is set at 200, but may go up to 6400 if necessary. Only when light becomes even lower does the shutterspeed decrease. Another major system is auto-dLighting, which will reduce the dynamic range of the picture by automatically enhancing the darkest parts of a scene which otherwise would be completely blackened out. Full frame is a mixed blessing: wide angle becomes wide again, restoring the intended use of my glorious 28-70F2.8. The new 14-24 F2.8 is an astonishing new lens (the absolutely best in its category, some canonians buy it with an adaptor ring to be able to use it, accepting the fully manual operation of this lens on a canon) which takes wide to new extremes, unattainable with a DX camera like the D200. The larger FF sensor with 12MP as compared to the D300's 12MP on a DX sensor means a lesser pixeldensity, which is the secret for the extremely high ISO sensitivity of this camera. It also implies less DOF (depth of field) with the same focal and diafragm settings, which is good for isolating a subject from its surroundings, but which also means one has to be more careful about focusing. Some inexperienced photographers may be surprised when upgrading from a bridge or especially a compact camera: one needs a better photographic technique with a full-frame camera, so there certainly is a learning curve. On the other hand, my teles are shorter on a FF than on a DX sensor: 200 mm is once again a 200 mm and no longer equivalent 300 mm as on a DX camera, so one loses at the long end. Long tele with perfect light (safari etc...) is probably the only situation in which I would still use my D200, some people also use it for macrophotography because of the gain in DOF.
I could use DX lenses on my D700, but that would be a waste since only the central part of the sensor (about 5MP) would be used. To take full advantage of the FF sensor, one therefore needs FF lenses which tend to be more voluminous than equivalent DX lenses. The D700, like the D200, can however fully use any F-mount lens Nikon ever made, including its mindblowing manual focus masterpieces, or second-hand AF-(D) lenses which can be bought at extremely nice prices these days.
I don't use live view, but it's OK if you like it.
This is a professional camera: it is heavy, weather-sealed and sturdy. The D3 which costs almost double has a double CF-card slot (the D700 a single CF-card slot), a 300.000 rated shutter (instead of the D700's 150.000), a 100% viewer (instead of the +/- 95% viewer of the D700), and better batteries. For me these differences weren't worth the huge price difference. Note that the D700 resembles the D3 much more closely than the D200 resembled the D2x for instance.
I didn't think one second about the D300; I guess only auto-Dlighting would have been an advantage compared to the D200, but that certainly wouldn't be sufficient to upgrade.

Here therefore is a very happy D700 owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Semi-Pro Camera In The World Today, 25 Oct 2009
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
So you've been using a digital SLR for a while now, and you've decided to make the step up to a full frame (FX) body. Honestly - look no further than the D700. I've been shooting with one for several months now, having traded up from a D300. Is it worth the extra over the (DX) D300? For me at least - absolutely! Although the DX format can get you some fantastic images in anything other than poor lighting conditions, and DX lenses are more affordable - if you want to be able to shoot moving subjects indoors without noise, then the D700 (or D3 or D3s) is for you.

You can shoot at ISO 1600 with practically zero noise penalty, and feel confident shooting ISO 3200 or even 6400 if the need arises, knowing that you'll end up with extremely usable images. Unless you shoot sports, or you use your camera to make your living (and need dual card support), there's no need to upgrade to the D3 or D3s. The D700 feels so solid, so capable. It's incredibly comfortable to hold, and the controls intuitively fall right under your fingers. Nikon have their user interface absolutely perfected.

Believe me when I say that there is very, very little to criticise about this camera. There are two very minor points I would like to see addressed in future models - moving from 95% to 100% viewfinder coverage, and an even larger number of selectable focus points covering more of the frame. However, these are not issues which detract enough to make any other similarly priced camera body a more attractive proposition. That is unless you want your DSLR to have video capabilities. I have an HD camcorder - why would I?

If you are in any doubt whether you can afford the step up from the DX to the FX format, consider that a full set of FX capable pro-spec zoom lenses (which you *will* covet if you have this body) will set you back close to five grand. If you can either afford or have the willpower to resist that, then get yourself a D700 and you will never, ever regret your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle Winner, 13 Mar 2011
I had for a few years the D90 an impressive camera itself and had wanted to upgrade to a full frame camera (FX) with the main option i had in mind being the D700 (mainly because of cost compared to the D3s or D3x). I brought the camera before a trip to America (New York) and on my first day being New Years Eve, the power of this impressive camera came out, the quality of this camera was put to the test during the hours leading up to and after New year in Times Sq, where its ability of use handheld in low light conditions impressed in a class of its own. Through out the evening i blown away by its ability to capture the details needed again in low light conditions, so the next day i set myself the challenge of going to try the camera out in different circumstances, trying to capture images in and around the fashion district of images of young and stunning urban portraits. Again the image quality that this camera produced was amazing and it left me pondering how this camera would perform at a forthcoming wedding with the D90 as its back up. The images produced by this camera at the wedding were simply stunning, with the camera being used inside, outside, rain and night time and every image still as stunning as the first. Im now completely happy and hooked with the combination of a D700 (FX) and D90 (DX) combination, with the D700 a true testament to Nikon's power as a market leader in the photographic market upheld.

I cant recommend this camera enough to people and i know that if the D800????? is to come onto the market sooner or later, the D700 is still a superb camera for anyone wishing to upgrade or mover into a full frame camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stable mate for D3, 2 Aug 2011
As a professional photographer I need equipment I can rely on 'totally'. My Nikon D3 leads the field in that regard. Day in day out, rain, hail or shine it delivers... For some time I carried a D300s as my 'spare body' but notwithstanding it's excellent qualities and performance the switch to APC sized sensor used to get in the way of my workflow and productivity. Clearly, I needed an FX body to work alongside my D3. So I took the plunge and purchased the D700.

From the moment it arrived I felt completely at home with it. The menus follow the same logical format as on the D3 and the latest firmware upgrade brings the two bodies very much in line with each other. An added bonus was the MB-10 grip (purchased originally for the D300s) which works a treat on the D700 further enhancing the ergonomics of the package.

The results are stunning - especially the low light capability with rich tone and fine grain free content. Shooting the vaulted ceiling for example in Salisbury Cathedral is a synch without the need to resort to flash.

And, what's more it's lighter than the D3 and costs at least £1200 less but still has the same D3 engine and brain... Mr Canon, eat your heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera at low light, 12 Aug 2008
Pierre V (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
For quite a while I had been tempted to upgrade my D70 with a D300 ... but haven't done because I still have a few full frame lenses bought in pre-digital age. Those lenses are really good and it's quite a shame not to use them anymore.

Now the D700 has come out, I found the ideal solution to my problem. Ok, it's much heavier at 1,729 gram with the 24-70 mm on it, but it feels so solid, has a good grip and the quality of the pictures is great. Taking pictures at low light e.g. is amazing as it shoots at upto ISO6400 with low grain.

I have used it for the first time in Hong Kong last week shooting in various situations (interior in temples, Victoria Harbour at night without tripod, markets in day time,...) and the results are really pleasing. It isn't hard at all getting to grip with the camera if you have previous Nikon DSLR experience.

This is a few steps up from the previous amateur DSLR... but I guess it might not be considered as an amateur camera anymore.