Colour Name: Brown/Beige|Change

on 21 September 2011
I bought this for Sally, my patterdale terrier (7kg) so she can come with me on a horse riding day for my sisters birthday. Just the thing I needed!

It arrived flat packed in a handy zip up bag, simply unfold it and zip the sides in place to use, goes back just as easily. The sides and base are reinforced so the bag holds it's shape excellently and feels robust. There is a side flap as well as the flap on top so you have a choice of entrances/exits. As well as the shoulder straps there are carrier handles on the top so this can be used as a shoulder bag too. The clip for her collar to make sure she can't jump out is adjustable which I thought was a nice touch. There is also a mobile phone pocket on one of the straps and a couple of zip pockets on the front - very handy.

You do need to have the shoulder straps short to ensure the base is level (otherwise it digs into your back), but the straps are wide and padded and the strap connecting the shoulder straps does an excellent job at keeping everything where it should be. I have narrow shoulders so I was a bit concerned after reading some of the comments about wide shoulder straps, but when all the straps are adjusted properly the bag feels really sturdy and comfy.

Sally is light but has long legs (she is 14" at the shoulder)so she only just fits in this. It's fine as she loves being carried around and rests her head on my shoulder when she is in the bag! If she was fidgety I would not feel she was safe in it as she can easily step out, so please take into account your dog's temperament when buying this if they are a similar size. My smaller terrier is 9" at the shoulder and fits in it perfectly, I could zip the top up if needed so she would be safe.

I bought this weeks in advance to get Sally used to being in it before the long trek and she loves it. I have trained her to get in it herself through the side door as trying to manoeuvre her in was not going to work! I have also put a blanket in the bottom to make it cosy (though the base is a bit padded, not completely hard).

Overall this is an excellent design, so many thoughtful features, obviously designed by people who would use it themselves. Feels like it will last a while too. Well worth 5 stars :)
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2010
I found this bag to be very well made with good ventilation and strong zips. My cat is nearly 6 kilos and he fits in it no problem with room to turn round at a squeeze, but with this kind of bag you do not want the animal moving around much so it is a good size and my cat seems to enjoy the experience!
on 6 July 2010
The item was well made, but the straps did not stay at the length required and were in danger of opening altogether, which would not be good with a small dog or cat in the back pack. The straps were also too widely spaced and wouldnt stay on my shoulders. With design modifiacation I think this would be a good product.
on 19 November 2010
This is a useful backpack and carry-bag, and it happily carries a small dog like my Cavalier King Charles. A really excellent product, well-designed, strongly made, good value. Probably made in China.
on 28 August 2011
Used this for a 4.5kg cat. He fitted in OK although turning around was a bit of a squeeze and certainly no way he could stand up. Being a shy cat he was happy that he could curl up at one end and still see out the mesh at the other. Since he didn't want to escape he didn't really test the strength of the mesh with his claws; if he was really determined he might do some damage (if testing inside the house he would probably do this but wanting to be safe outside he decided to stay put).

It was comfortable enough to carry this on the back - my wife did most of the carrying ;-) (I was using a different carrier for our other cat). She didn't complain about the straps being too far apart as others have done. If adjusted they seem fine.

Quite happy with this for occasional use to get cats to the vet or on the bus/train.
on 3 June 2013
This item was bought to carry my miniature dachshund, 5.2kg, when I'm out photographing and the terrain gets too rough for him to get over. It has a sturdy bottom, padded straps and a chest strap with plenty of mesh for air, with a top opening part, ideal height for him to sit and look out and around. The pockets are useful for carrying extras, which in this case was my equipment, filters etc. He has to enter from the side which I thought might be a problem but with the first attempt a treat biscuit inside tempted him in with no problem. The proper test came when I recently visited the Lake District, the first time was on a boat trip, the weather was not good and I put a small blanket inside for him to sit on. He went in with no problem and on returning to shore I tried to get him out for a walk, people were laughing because he had got quite comfortable and would rather have stayed in there. Walking through the mountains he went in again and was quite content. Even being photographed and videoed by others. My only complaint would be the shoulder strap occasionally slips one side, but for the price and quality I still think this is a good product. I found putting the bag on my back with him inside easy as I slipped one arm through and then used the top handle to pull it across to my other arm, keeping it sturdy and not tipping. It folds easily for storage and cleans easily with a wipe down. I like it because it is a working bag, not a fashion carrier and my little dog with a big dog temperament doesn't look silly in it. Most importantly, my dog likes it.
on 15 April 2012
I bought this for my son to carry his ferrets when taking them for a walk to the park with our dogs. the ferrets loved the ability to see out of the mesh doors and found the bag roomy and airy. It is well made and strong. My son has very wide shoulders and appreciated the flexible adjustment straps which adapts easily from wide to small shoulders if needeed. He found the item very comfortable to wear once fully adjusted. Ideal for transporting animals when riding bicycles etc.
on 15 January 2010
It's a good size and folds up very flat. Perfect for what we wanted - the only slight criticism would be that the zip's a little stiff but it is new so maybe this will get easier in time.
on 12 May 2014
I felt I NEEDED to write this review as I bought this item fairly blindly. I am a professional dog walker, so when I bought my Working Cocker Spaniel puppy home I needed to find a way to carry her whilst continuing my work. I bought this bag and started to adjust my puppy to like being in it. She fitted fine at 8 weeks old and, if I'd have continued to have used it, I think she would have fitted in it till about 16 weeks. It seemed a good idea, mesh panelling with several holes where she can put her head out. And it handily flat packs. But as some people have previously said, the shoulder straps are just slightly too wide apart, and made of slippery material so you need to constantly hump it up again. The strap that holds the two handles together does nothing to help this. And the other major fault is in the base, its just not rigid enough, my girl had to stand/sit on a slanted base constantly. Though, as a shoulder bag, this was quite handy when my pup was really young, as I used it to take her into the Super Market and nobody noticed!! But my god, my back was hurting after using this bag both ways - and Pups was only 3.4 kilos at the start!
on 17 November 2013
I don't write many reviews but had to for this little gem. It is really good, with lots of zip openings to get doggy in or out or to leave his little head poking out if he is a nosey little chap like my Yorkie. He can see out of the mesh panels OK so I left him zipped in until he got used to it with no worry about him falling out. There is a tether fitted inside to attach to his lead / harness anyway. My dog is 7kg, quite a big Yorkie and he fits in quite comfortably, can lie down or sit up. The rucksack is excellent quality, strong and well thought out, all the things I like on a rucksack (I am a keen hill walker so have a few normal good name rucksacks). The shoulder straps are well padded with an extra straps across the front and to top of bag that provide great stability so doggy is always on the level. Well done Trixie (manufacturers).
PS Like other people I did notice the shoulder straps slipping off towards the outside of my shoulders so I just did what I do with other rucksacks - just tied a spare boot lace across my chest holding them closer together, no problem.