5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive features on a budget friendly smartphone
I've had this phone for 3 months on contract, it's the exact same phone.

I was trying to reduce the number of gadgets to charge and have with me. I used to carry a mobile phone, a PDA (Dell Axim) and sometimes an iPod mini. This one thing has managed to replace them all without too much compromise.

For the features on offer and the slim profile of...
Published on 26 Jan. 2009 by Mark Aitken

3.0 out of 5 stars I miss my blackberry...
Published on 14 Jun. 2009 by Jonathan Cornell

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive features on a budget friendly smartphone, 26 Jan. 2009
Mark Aitken - See all my reviews
I've had this phone for 3 months on contract, it's the exact same phone.

For the features on offer and the slim profile of the phone, the battery life is really impressive. I get 2 days usage before requiring a recharge with 3G switched on with probably.
- checking mail around 10 times a day
- sending around 20 SMS's
- around 30mins to 1 hour talking per day
- using the web for around 2 hours
- listening to audio (podcasts and music) for around 2 hours per day
- checking calendar, around 30 mins per day

The headphone socket is 2.5mm which is a small pain, I bought a set of Seinheusers with a 2.5mm jack to solve this. I notice a background 'hiss' from the phone using headphones, I'm fairly sure it's the phone causing it and not the headphones, but can't be certain. Many other people reported the same problem via the web, it's not too bad when you get used to it. I notice that music from my iPod is far far cleaner and better to listen and appreciate music with. It's a trade off I made which I think was right for me but might not suit everyone. Recommend trying to listen to one if this sounds like a problem for yourself. The speaker is good and loud, I listen to music from it in the kitchen making food, it's good enough to hear over my pot banging and chopping!

The screen is bright and big enough to read. Yes I do sometimes which it was as pretty as the newer, larger screens on recent devices, however the display is really sharp and clear and probably contributes to the battery life.

Sound quality for phone calls is good. I haven't had too much experience of other phones, but I can hear callers perfectly well. In louder places, I have noticed I have to slightly press the phone to my ear to catch everything being said.

Navigation around menus is excellent. Nokia really thought hard and provided lots of little expert user shortcuts. For example, on the home screen I can type a name of a person and their contact name appears allowing a short leap from there to sending them an SMS, email, text, photo.

The camera is a much poorer affair. Low light pictures are poor, bright outside ones are OK. Anything inbetween is usually disappointing. For me, I only capture snaps for sending to the web or other phones, I wasn't too bothered about this but recommend watching it if you are used to good quality pictures from your phone.

As with all Symbian phones there is a strong software market which is easy to access. Much software is free, some more corporate based software obviously costs. I've found that the software provided on the phone really captures almost everything you'd want, however I installed a few packages which were all free from the Internet (Google maps, Fring, Opera Mini, Twibble, Smart Connect).

I added an 8Gb micro SD card to the phone for around £10 from Amazon which allowed me to fit around 50 CD's worth of music. I also have podcasts which download their music to the 8Gb card too, I've found this plenty of space to get by. Other higher capacity cards exist, but I haven't personally justified the extra cost of the bigger cards.

The keyboard takes a while to get used to. I had a Nokia 6300 before this model and yearned for the predictive features and numeric keypad. But I'm now much more used to this keyboard QWERTY layout. I would note that the E71 supports predictive entry which helps, but I find I have to use two thumbs to really speed out messages on it. The keyboard itself is really good quality, easy to use and forgiving when I press the edge of a key.

I am not a fan on the dust which has started to gather behind the screen. It's slightly distracting when the backlight goes off and you can see the dust, but it's a very minor quibble.

The GPS feature isn't a killer feature for me, but it's very useful. I rarely find myself wondering what's in the area because I frequent the same places. However it was handy on holiday trying to get around the area. I've also used it a few times to find a nearby coffee shop when I have time to spare.

The phone is very smim and fairly light, certainly when you consider the features in the phone it's very impressive.

This phone doesn't play back movies at a great quality, it's nearly good enough but not quite. The screen is too small to make this sensible, but that's not what I bought this phone for.

Applications have crashed perhaps in total around 10-15 times since I've had this phone. I don't think this is uncommon given all phones are increasing in their complexity. I couldn't rule out 3rd party apps I've installed being the cause. I just live with this and have come to tolerate this in these more complex devices.

I've not taken it abroad, but it is quad band meaning it should work in other countries.

This phone is my ideal package at the moment. I purchased this with a data package allowing me to use limitless Internet connectivity. I'd recommend doing the same to get the most from the phone.

If you note my negatives above (music hiss, camera not too great) and pick up the strong points (3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, lots of features in one device, 2 day battery, good UI) you should be very happy with this phone.

Also take a look at the E72, it loses a few features and has a lower price, I suspect it reviews similarly to the E71.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 17 Jan. 2009
Rhys Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
This is without doubt not only one of the best phones Nokia have ever produced, but the best I have ever owned.
It is literally crammed with features, like support for Office documents, 3.5g (HSDPA), WiFi, Bluetooth, IrDA, GPS, a Sat Nav ap, 3.2mp camera with AF and Flash, full music playing software with support for 8gb Micro SDHC cards, QWERTY keyboard etc etc... the list really does go on.
The size of the thing is a source of confusion. Quite how they've managed to fit all this tech into a device less than 10mm thick is beyond me... Normally feature-rich smart phones of this type tend to drain the battery at a rapid rate, and particularly in a device this thin you might imagine that standby/talk time would be poor. But oh no, Nokia have managed to squeeze a 1500MaH battery into the E71, which gives it a real edge over other phones in this class. In light to moderate use, it will last 7-10 days. Heavy use of all the features will shorten this time to 4 or 5 days, which is still mightily impressive.
Overall, an inspired piece of technology, which every business user or consumer should have on their mobile phone wish list. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartest buy ever., 20 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
My trusty IPAQ 6910 was nearing the end of it's life after 2 years of okayish service. The IPAQ did everything but nothing well, if you know what I mean.

I had decided that I was either going to go for an IPhone or the (at that time) new Nokia E71. I decided on the E71 due to the fact that it had a keypad and could therefore handle 'one handed texting'.

This has turned out to be the best decision of my life. This is an absolutely incredible bit of kit. It is loaded with features but is also really really easy to use. The mobile Internet is superb and hooking it up to a laptop to use as a 3G modem couldn't be easier. Battery life has proved to be excellent. The 3.2MP camera, speaker and recorder are all superb. It has also proven to be reliable with no faults or bugs. The screen isn't as big as the IPhone but it's perfectly adequate.

Unlike the IPAQ, this phone does everything well and in my opinion has few peers. As a business tool, it's streets ahead of the IPhone whilst still providing a host of leisure facilities.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new QWERTY phone from Nokia, 22 Sept. 2008
James Winter "jamesswinter" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
Having been a Blackberry user in the past, I'm impressed to see Nokia have definitely now 'caught up' in qwerty phones. I still use my Nokia N95 for weekends, but this is my weekday warrior now. Really fast for typing emails, web surfing etc. The camera phone is quick and good, and I usually end up emailing the images via gmail (which I set up on the phone in 30 secs!) Also web surfing is straightforward, with good screen size and res. I have my Ovi Share account, as well as Flickr and Facebook accounts, connected so I can send images, links etc. to my networks. Battery life is good too, which really makes a difference when you're on the move and little time to charge. A nifty feature I've started using is a program which wirelessly transmits the phone screen's image to my laptop for product demos etc. With a portable projector I can then project the phone's image to a big screen for presentation on large screens. Cool. I've got used to the compact keypad now, and its much more accurate and effective than it feels at first. I also like the alternate home screen (I have one set up for work, the other for play). I also use Nokia maps for driving and walking nav and its pretty handy. Good work Nokia.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sept. 2009
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
Its great, but no 5 stars as it does not work consistently with my Jabra 5050 hand's free kit.Jabra SP5050 Bluetooth Speakerphone which every other telephone that I have used over the past two years or so has.

This handset offers a lot of functions over and above my Nokia N95 8GB "ooooh, look at him with two phones then", not at all. I had that one previously to this handset and whilst it was quite good, this telephone allows me to compete with my Blackberry toting colleagues and beat them at their own game. I am not a huge user of texts, so the keyboard for me in that respect is fairly limited, where it does come into its own is in the use of email: connected to Microsoft exchange for work (easy to do with a little knowhow) or a routine POP3 or IMAP based provider and email comes straight to your telephone. A little bit of disappointment though that this version of Exchange only allows you to use the telephone company's access point rather than the built in modem that it allows me to use for the POP3 account, so providing you have a good mobile telephone 3G connection and lots of free minutes, its great, otherwise, if you are lke me and get a poor reception at home, you are restricted to not being able to access work at home (the N95 does though). My wife is delighted as she says I work too hard anyway!

I suppose I should comment about the other bits on it, but as a 50 something I rarely use the camera, which is ok, but not as good as on the N95, but there is 2megapixel difference and let's be honest, the lens etc of all of this telephones is not up to Hasselblad/Leica standard: I was able to use it last week though when a lady bumped into my car on Somerfield's car park in Wimborne!

Telephone reception is good and on a par with most telephones now, good signal and you can hear and be heard fine. I have used the video calling option once, just to impress a younger female manager. She knew after 20 seconds when I started to worry about my bill, that a sugar daddy I was not and we haven't video-called since!

Screen, keyboard are pretty good, particularly when you consider that this is relatively small when you consider all that it can do: price is good too.

Oh yes, one last thing. Accessing the internet is really good, it is fairly fast again dependant on the signal and the keyboard and controls are fairly intuitive. If only it linked with my Jabra I would give it 5 stars, which I will amend this review to if I get a Parrot Handsfree kit and that interfaces ok with this excellent piece of technology. I really do recommend this product, wheter it be for making that "Sorry I'm late.....I'm stuck on the M3 call", texting easily "happy birthday" or more importantly for me having access to up to 80 emails a day when I am absent from the office, it really is superb. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with my e71, 10 April 2009
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
I bought the e71 after browsing many reviews. I am very much delighetd having bought it from Amazon. It is a verstaile smart phone. I mostly use its web features using my BT Home Hub. It works perfectly with that. The GPS is excellent and hooks within 2 minutes provided you don't start moving. The GPS doe not use the web either (with the correct settings).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very clever and good looking too, 26 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
I'm going to be getting to grips with my Nokia E71 for a while - I think I may need a degree and further study to get the most out of it. It's probably like our brains - I guess that I'm using less than 10% of what it can do! But I really like what I've seen so far. Love the keyboard, look and feel of the phone. Easy to sync with Outlook on the computer. Screen excellent. Camera very good. Maps work really well - though I'm unsure how the cost of using the Maps work. I'd thought naively it would be free like a GPS in a car, but unless you have a contract with unlimited access it looks like you pay for hooking up to Maps. Tons of other features. Setting up email is not simple especially if you need VPN and all the settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive features on a budget friendly smartphone, 27 Jan. 2009
Mark Aitken - See all my reviews

- listening to audio (podcasts and music) for around 2 hours per day
- checking calendar, around 30 mins per day

3.0 out of 5 stars I miss my blackberry..., 14 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
I bought my E71 about 3 months ago when I was made redundant and had to give up the blackberry pearl which had run my life for the previous 18 months or so. Many of my criticisms or observations are based on what I miss from my blackberry. My wife has an Iphone and I regularly look at how easy it is to use and wish Nokia had spent the same amount of time making it easy to use the phone rather than just cramming on more and more applications without making it any easier to find or use them.

This phone is packed with features, some of which are very useful and some of which are useless. One of the problems that I find is that to get to many of the applications you want you need to go to the menu then try to remember where the application is. There are lots and lots of folders. All of the newer apps you download go into the "installations folder" where they seem to be indexed with the oldest ones at the top. I have still not found a way to put the ones I want at the top of the list. I know you can customise the home page to put some apps on quick links there but there is only space for 5 or so. With my blackberry you could choose which applications went were on the home page and you could hide the ones you did not use.

There doesn't seem to be a way of configuring this phone to have all your communications on the same list. On a blackberry in the same list you would have incoming and outgoing emails, incoming and outgoing text messages and made and received calls. Nokia has kindly split this up. So you have to scroll from screen to screen to see sent emails, sent texts, received emails, received texts, to see made and received calls you need to go to the call log (which is on a different menu. To me this makes life a lot harder.

The nokia email program does not like my email address (btinternet) so I have been using Seven (which is excellent) but every time I switch the phone off, it asks me to set up my nokia email account.

The nokia synch application works well with outlook via Bluetooth and copies contacts and appointments backwards and forwards.

Battery life is excellent; the keyboard is good, the screen is just about the right size. One application which I love is the Sports Tracker program which will use GPS to work out how far you have run, walked, cycled, how many calories, how fast you were going etc

I don't really like the rubber flap on the left hand side which covers the headphones and mini usb socket as I think it looks cheap and nasty.

I find the interface between contacts and what you can do with them quite clumsy. So when you find a contact, to look at email address, phone numbers etc you need to go to menu and then click open. When you start an email and type into the "to" box it does scroll through your contacts but when you find the one you want you either have to press the select key or enter. If you click the "ok" key in the middle of your controller, it puts a space in the middle of the name you are typing and you have to start again.

When you type a name into the phone it scrolls through your address book, to choose the right one you have to click up (not ok for some reason) then to choose whether to text, call, email you have to click right. To me this is really cumbersome.

If you have 10 Davids in your phone and you want to call one once you have typed David, then you can't put in a space and then put the first letter of their surname as it loses the list of Davids, you need to click up and scroll through them. Though admittedly you could start with their surname but you would then have the same problem, especially with your own family as presumably most of them have the same surname?

When you click the messaging key and select new message, the phone brings up a shortlist of message types; the first (default) option is text messaging, then multimedia message, the audio message and then email. For a phone which I think was created for emailing, I would have thought the default would be email.

Another minor thing which really annoys me is that when you reply to an email the default place for the "cursor" to go to is the address bar. So this means you then have to move the cursor down to where you want to start writing your email. Was this phone really designed for email?

I guess some of my gripes may be possible to resolve as this phone is pretty customizable but I have spent a long time online trying to find out how and have been unsuccessful. I am currently on firmware version 210.21.006 so maybe some of my woes get fixed on later firmware versions but after reading several nokia forums I am too scared to try.

It has recent stopped displaying new emails on the home page and despite deleting all my email account and putting them on again it still isn't working. The nokia web site is vast and trying to find out whats gone wrong is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Updating the phone is a major pain. Being asked to back up before you update is pretty normal but I assumed this was incase something went wrong. Please don't make this mistake, when you perform an update it wipes your phone totally. You can restore your contacts by synching it with Nokia PC Suite but all of the programs I had downloaded, the settings, the ringtones, the email accounts... in fact everything had gone. I don't remember any other device doing this in the last 5-6 years.

This is a good product but I can't help but think how much better it could have been if Nokia had spent more time looking at other products and seeing how easy they are to use rather than just adding more and more applications which are impossible to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheaper alternative to a blackberry & wifi is really handy, 12 July 2009
This review is from: Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel (Electronics)
I have this phone on 3, previously I had the blackberry curve & the Pearl. This was better than these & the Storm , be cause it has 3g (v fast internet access) + Wifi. The Wifi meant I could surf using my home wifi for free, or any wifi whilst out roaming which was free to access in addition to using the 3 network , where free wifi wasnt available. Might be useful abroad, if your hotel has free internet access. The internet is way faster on this then the earlier models of blackberry.
On top of this you can view Adobe acrobat files & word docs in full, not cell by cell as in previous blackberrys
And you can watch youtube videos & view flash videos, which you couldnt on the 8300 curve or pearl. You also get push email, without needing enterprise software. You can use nokia software it comes with to set up virtually any email including hotmail.I have multiple email accounts set up on mine.
It has a full qwerty keyboard & hard wearing steel finish than the blackberry covers which peeled off quickly. Its also very slim, with a long battery life, comparable to the blackberry.
Only negatives Doesnt charge via usb. Needs adaptor for music socket, as headphones it comes with arent brilliant. But the adaptor can be purchased cheaply.
On 3, I also had acces to skype which was very high quality sound, like a normal phone call + msn messenger, you tube etc.
Good games. Looks impressive, got lots of compliments on it. Very good buy at nearly half the price of its main competitor the Blackberry Bold, with all the same features.
It takes Micro sd cards, so you can use it to store stuff music, video. Some videos need converting with its software ( a little complicated). The software it comes with allows it to be used as a modem.The software also allows it to synch with Outlook etc, to backup contacts etc. I have ove 1000 contacts & it was able to store them all plus calendar dates etc.
Theres alot of software you can get for this , from the Nokia site or most symbian s60 programmes.

Nokia E71 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Grey Steel