5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read!
Published on 17 May 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not convincing
Published 12 months ago by Sisalka

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read!, 17 May 2010
I ordered this book having really enjoyed the recent BBC Marlin series and fancied reading another take on the legend. This book sees Merlin not as a person of magic but merely a well read, well travelled and highly intelligent man. He has a good relationship with Arthur, though often seeing him almost childlike in his behaviour. And Guinevere is portrayed as an ambitious woman who got in over her head and now lives with Lancelot in a castle near the coast, away from Arthur.

The plot was interesting and the momentum was good, though Merlin did figure out the killer early on (as did the reader) however there was a need to keep reading to see how Merlin set them up.

Overall I really enjoyed the book and am starting on the second one this week

1.0 out of 5 stars Not convincing, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Excalibur Murders: A Merlin Investigation (Kindle Edition)
I have just read the teaser pages for the Kindle version and I'm not convinced to buy the series or even this book. I like the idea of Merlin being an well read and intelligent scholar and not an all powerful magi. Unfortunately, the author does not deliver. Neither did the editor. If the book ever had one, he or she knew as little about writing or history as the author.

I found the characters too flat, there is no way to distinguish them from each other and their way of speaking 'sounds' not only the same but also very modern, almost like teenagers without the swearwords. The dialogue did nothing for the plot or the characters and was repetitive to an extend that I wondered if I had picked up a book for young children.
The historical background is also more than shaky. We find ourselves in a stone castle - they didn't exist in the early middle ages in England (motes and wooden forts were common), bailing wire was not invented until the 18th century and handkerchiefs a few hundred years later in the time of Richard II. These are only three examples for the glaring absence of any knowledge about the historical background the story is set in.
All of this creates a muddled background that annoyed me because I believe that an author should do enough research to produce a convincing background for his/her story. And if someone cannot be bothered to even check Wikipedia, never mind do research then perhaps set the story in a time that doesn't need copious and extensive knowledge about the era.

Conclusion: I'm not wasting my time or money as the author couldn't be bothered to 'waste' any time on character development or research.