5.0 out of 5 stars A film that changed a lot of people, 16 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Animals Film [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film in the 80s. Since that time I have remained vegan. The film did not change my life, but provided me with a reason to change. Many things have changed since the film was made and animal welfare has improved, albeit in very small increments. However, the power of this film is not what it says about our treatment of non-human animals, but what it reveals about us. The cruelties that one is witness to throughout this film would be less sickening were they not as a result of thoughtless ignorance, but some more malign process. In fact, as this film reveals, the mechanisms of animal cruelty are banal more than malicious. Wyats haunting score, Julie Christie's resigned tone and the often horrific footage make this film difficult but essential viewing. In this film the adage, 'you are what you eat' becomes a statement about our moral state, and that is perhaps the most challenging aspect of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot helped but be moved into action!, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Animals Film [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this first on Channel 4 way back in the eighties and was compelled to call them up to find out where to get a copy. The film is horrific; I was in tears most of the way through it but, if you want to witness the truth behind animal welfare in farming, medical research, sport and entertainment, this is a must see.
Thankfully, things have improved in many areas since then but there are still unscrupulous producers and processors taking short cuts and animals all over the world still suffering fates such as these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nine more vegetarians added to the total!, 3 Jan 2013
Kathleen Moore "Kathy Moore" (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Animals Film [DVD] (DVD)
When I saw this film in the 80s, I immediately became a vegetarian. Since that time, my five sisters also saw the film and became vegetarians. Now, we have the next generation to add: my two daughters and my niece are also vegetarian. And it all started with this movie. It is literally life-changing. Julie Christie does such a great job of narrating. I am an American and find it very curious that this film is not available anywhere in the states, unless you can find someone to make a copy for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me go vegetarian!!!!, 10 Jun 2010
H. MAY-PETERS (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Animals Film [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film when it first came out in 1981 - I immediately went vegetarian! Am now vegan.
Essential viewing for everyone - that wants to make an informed decision!Its a challenging film to watch but I defy anyone to watch it and not think about acting on it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A difficult and disturbing watch., 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Animals Film [DVD] (DVD)
I like some of the other reviewers here i watched this in the 80's . Became a vegetarian that evening 20yrs ago.
This is an extremely difficult film to watch and unless you are absolutely void of any empathy this film will have some effect on you. Watch see if you can answer the questions it asks.

The Animals Film [DVD]
The Animals Film [DVD] by Myriam Alaux (DVD - 2008)
19.99