Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2006
If you are thinking about the standard release or spending a couple of pound more on this then go for this, you won't regret it. Such great value, obviously the album is here in all its greatness and then you get the DVD which has a great making of documentary, a short film, music vid and making of and then basically the whole album in either demo or early live format from last year. All this and its presented in a gorgeous book style packaging. Highly recmommended.
on 22 June 2006
Since their first and last album in 2004, Keane has seemed to evolve musically and emotionally as a band. Even though some of the songs appear upbeat at first, they hide darker lyrics. "Is it any wonder?" is the best example. The whole CD creates a dense atmosphere as if one was swimming in very thick water or an Iron Sea. Fortunally it gets softer by the end, unlike Hopes & Fears that ended with Bedshaped and a need to play again Somewhere only we know. The DVD is very interesting and and shows some of the creative process and live performances. An excellent choice for any Keane fan.
on 21 February 2013
I remember buying this album back in 2006 when it was released without listening to a single track as Keane are probably the only band for me where I know that I will love every song on every album and Under The Iron Sea is no different for me. I have been a huge fan of Keane since they first started and played a number of support gigs to Travis.

It astounds me that people do not like this band because there seen as "UNCOOL" as they don't have the rocky coolness I mean what a load of crap not to like a band regardless of music just because there seen as "UNCOOL" even though they produce amazing albums where every song could be a single.

Yes this album does have a darker edge to it but it's up there for me with all the rest of there great album's there music is also great driving music too!

Again shame on you if you rated the album 3 stars or lower! Your wrong in a big way!
on 3 December 2006
I have listened to this album hundreds of times now and am still finding new emotional depths and nuances. If Hopes & Fears was Keane's suite of optimistic, romantic teenage bittersweet songs then Under the Iron Sea is much darker and deeper - conveying a dive under the sea in a bathyscape with its lyrics of alienation, despair, suffocation within oneself, betrayal, longing, regret. The variety of tracks is impressive, from the gorgeous, heart-wrenching Hamburg Song to the rock-out that is Is it Any Wonder? My personal favourite is Leaving So Soon? The soaring vocals are breathtaking. Tim Rice-Oxley is a master songwriter and keyboardist, and Tom Chaplin has such a pure achingly beautiful voice. In spite of all the darkness and emotional pain of the album (mirroring real life experiences), the final track suggests a re-surfacing into the world of light and laughter. Best album of 2006.
on 3 February 2010
The first time I heard Keane was on the radio when I was 14. I was into a lot of pop rock and rock music and I really couldn't like the sound of the slow and mellow piano driven songs from Hopes and fears. When I was 16 the band released the single Is it any wonder. I wasn't a huge fan of the song but I did really like the more rock sound with a pounding chorus and gripping lyrics. It was the 1st thing which initially attracted me to the band. By that time my musical tastes had progressed but I definitely wasn't ready for the piano tunes. Then later when Crystal Ball was released, which is still my favourite Keane song, I bought the single and this was a song which really grabbed my attention. I loved the sound of the whole song and especially the chorus which seems to run and keep going. I could and I'm sure always will, be able to relate to it. At the time I certainly wasn't going to purchase the album though. So a couple of years later I started listening to Crystal ball again after it had been left within the stack of my CD collection and I really enjoyed it again. It was hard not to notice it because it sticks out so much with that weird white biodegradable case. So by that point I had discovered Amazon and I thought that one day in the future I might buy the album. So it was early September 2009 by the time I was possessed to purchase it. I bought the deluxe version because it was the best deal and I am very happy I did. I wasn't a Keane fan before buying but now I'm definitely a Keane fan!

On my first listen of the album I was captivated. It turned out sounding much better than I expected and I think the album is a complete masterpiece. It's easily Keane's best work, and a welcome change to the more simple piano sound of the previous album. The distortion sounds and effects are amazing and that's why this album is so beautiful. Every song is so great. The album kicks of with Atlantic which is a sounds cape unlike any other and lasts for over 4 minutes, like most of the songs on the album. It is so hauntingly beautiful and really captures the themes of loneliness and being lost. The second half of the song has a different sound to the 1st half but it's altogether amazing. Is it any wonder was the 1st single and it's a catchy hit that really sums up what this album represents. Easily likeable. Nothing in my way has a more simple piano sound and the chorus is upbeat rather than the verse. The drum part on Leaving so soon is pretty rad and it's one of those parts that Richard was probably talking about that Tim invents. Bad dream is one of my favourites and has an amazing sound. It's all fairly the same tempo and its melancholy is thrilling. The middle8 has a real taste of the distorted piano scope.
Hamburg song is slow and sounds like it uses organ. It's truly beautiful sounding though. Put it behind you is one of my favourites and has such a catchy rhythm. Inspiring! The iron sea is scintillatingly haunting but beautiful. Incredible sound. Try again is similar to Hamburg song and one that Tom loves. Broken toy is so different and has this great intro and outro with spooky vocal sounds. Hauntingly mesmerising. The frog prince is our bonus on the deluxe edition and it's worth it. It's a more simple sound but so likeable. A song about a downfall of a king which really implants itself in your memory. It's a nice ending and the outro uses intelligent guitar and what sounds like distorted and non distorted piano.

The DVD portion of the album is definitely worth it for the `making of' feature alone. It's great to have an insight into the bands thoughts about the album and what they were setting out to do this time around. There are also some great bits of the band in the recording studio. It's really interesting. Seeing the band over the world in New York and back in Britain recording the songs and enjoying themselves is fantastic. It gives you a look into how the songs are written and the whole ideas on the album, with the development from Hopes and fears. The band talks about how they're feeling at that time in this world and they chat about different songs and their meanings. There's a part where the cameraman is recording Tim on piano creating what went on to become Under the iron sea. There is a short film for Atlantic which is set on a beach and features a bunch of weirdo's and freaks. Really creepy.

This was the 1st time I had seen the video for Is it any wonder? I couldn't listen to the music because you are concentrating on the camera looping around so much that it makes you feel sick! There's also a 'making of' for the video and shows the guy who came up with the insane idea. There are a lot of demos featured and some fantastic live videos from Chicago. They are amazing live and sound so good here. Tom's voice sounds exactly the same as it does in the studio recordings. There's a gallery of the boys in the studio and there's also wallpapers which you can use on your PC. The DVD is well worth it if you're interested in the band.
The album is incredible and deserves a listen even if you're not a fan of Keane. The book style packaging is great with some amazing artwork.
on 18 May 2006
Having been to the album preview gig at ULU earlier in May, I have heard 11 of the 12 tracks on the album and have to say that Keane have made a beauty of an album. It still retains the features which made Keane so popular on the last album but have added new sounds and deeper meaning to their lyrics. Bad Dream and Frog Prince are the undoubted stand out tracks although the haungting Atlantic and upbeat Is it any wonder are fantastic. I'm not sure whether many who dislike Keane will be swung by this album but those who already love Keane will love this album and proves how talented the lads from Sussex are
on 30 January 2007
I've bought many an album since i left high school almost 10 years ago and i have to say this has got to be one of the most amazing, breathtaking and simply outstanding albums i have had the privelege to buy. Not only does the lead singer Tom Chaplin send shivers down my spine with his haunting and angelic voice, he also manages to draw you in with the emotion of each song as he sings them and the equally amazing Tim and Richard who without them to add to Tom's wonderful vocal talent we would not have have Keane, they work so well together as pianist and drummer along with Tom that it's a wonder they haven't been nominated for every award going. Well to sum it up quickly, an album you should have in your collection and 1 to be proud of owning, every song tells a story and i guarantee that after listening to this record you'll realise that each song plays out a part of your life. Five stars is simply not enough for these Sussex lads.
on 11 May 2010
The second album of this great British band is in my opinion the best of them. The musical evolution is a excelent surprise from the very beginning of the album with the powerful "Atlantic", and with "Is it any wonder?" they could conquer the whole world. What a song!! "A bad dream", "Try again" and "Hamburg song" are slow songs that reveal strength and sensitiveness at the same time. And with "Leaving so soon" and "Cristal ball" the rhythm invades your ears and your head...
Excelent!!
on 13 November 2006
Most of the time we hear how the first album by an artist or the first film in a sequel is much better than what follows, but Under The Iron Sea certainly doesnt fall under this category. Im a huge fan of Keane and listened to Hopes And Fears god knows how many times, but since UTIS came out ive hardly listened to it as this album is so great.

Atlantic was the first I heard, on a Channel 4 video exclusive. I recorded it and played it over and over. Richard's drumming in this song is so strong and the atmosphere is just like...wo! (amazing). The next week they showed Is It Any Wonder? and so I taped it and once again it didnt fail to impress. Very catchy and upbeat, and youve just got to love its quirkyness. I think these two are like the opposites on the album. Both quite different but spectacular. Id like to go on about all the songs on the album but I know I shouldnt.

I think the songs are more powerful and on the whole there is a wider range of music. Tim's backing vocals are more influential and his creativity with pianos and keyboards reaches a further high. Most of the songs are easy to get into and some take a bit of time, but I think thats great. Those you dont get into straight away feel like new songs once theyve really grown on you. To begin with I felt Broken Toy was a little boring and needed something extra to give it a boost, but now I just love it as it is and now feels fresher than some of the others. Theres simply too much 'amazing-ness' about this album to get bored.

The singles from the album are fine examples of whats easy to get into, and what the difference is between this and Hopes And Fears. Keane are the same band and style, just with more depth and newer songs, and once again very strong lyrics (which with Tom's amazing voice is the most incredible singing youll hear). But dont get me wrong though, both albums are great and I could go on and on about how much I love Hopes And Fears too, but I just dont get how people compare the two and find UTIS dull and lacklustre..................theyre both amazing!!!

p.s. Nothing In My Way is my favourite song - their 3rd single - so put the radio on already! (I couldnt not mention it)
on 18 May 2006
Having bought Hopes and fears the day It came out I am a long standing fan of this group. So its with some uncertainty that I appraoched this new CD with all the reports of the new direction and darker element to it. After a few listens However I need not have worried. Every song its beautifully crafted, melodious and catchy. The only weak link if there is one is the instrumental "Iron sea" which can drag on. But with tracks such as gorgeous opener "atlantic" and superb "chrystal ball" not to mention "bad dream" and "nothing in my way" its only a tiny complaint. Sadly many wont Give the CD a chance as It appears popular to for "music snobs" to dismiss Keane out of hand. But then again they are missing out so they are the losers